Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried that doctor made my pouch too big?

I am 4 1/2 weeks post op and have not felt any kind of restrictions as I did with my sleeve before being converted to Roux-en-Y along with a hiatal hernia repair. I am worried and especially now after seeing my operative report and knowing my Doctor only did a 30 ml pouch with a 150 cm Roux alimentary limb. This I understand is big and long for this surgery. Now I am scared I won’t lose that last bit of weight or maintain per not feeling any restrictions like I did with the sleeve. I am only on the soft foods /purée diet but with the sleeve I could feel restrictions with soft and liquids. Everything goes down like nothing. I have had no issues with dumping or nausea and can drink Water and liquids endlessly. The surgery has seemed to cure my heartburn but I don’t want to gain my weight back because of it. Anyone else on here with a 30 ml / 150 cm and similar situation that could share their experience or offer any reassurance?

I was the same way after my revision. When I hit solid foods though, oh man there was a huge difference. I still have days 3 months out where even a 1/4 cup of things like pumpkin seeds (thoroughly chewed) or a couple bites of chicken make me hurt.
Lots of people notice more restrictions when they get to solid foods and dense Protein so try and just wait and see.

Its going to change with Time Just plan your meal volumes carefully

I know exactly what you are talking about and going through. It really messed with my head not feeling anything and fear/anxiety that I would gain all the weight back from not having restriction. I am 6 months out today and all is well as far as weight goes. You will lose at least 20 lbs and if you want to lose more you will. I still have no restrictive feeling but if I over eat I will get sick and trust me you dont want to get sick. If you are a dumper like me you wont be able to eat the wrong foods and will find out quickly what those are !! Good luck to you !

6 hours ago, Ms. Yvette said:

Tracy, did you lose 20 pounds in 6 months?

Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app

I lost the 20 in about 10 weeks and it was actually 22 lbs. I now bounce around 5 lbs but am having no problems keeping it in that range. With VSG I wasnt able to get under 164.8 and struggled to stay under 170. I am not having that problem with this revision, but am missing the restriction from the VSG.

On 11/23/2020 at 9:06 AM, Tracyringo said:

I lost the 20 in about 10 weeks and it was actually 22 lbs. I now bounce around 5 lbs but am having no problems keeping it in that range. With VSG I wasnt able to get under 164.8 and struggled to stay under 170. I am not having that problem with this revision, but am missing the restriction from the VSG.

I'm worried about the "restriction". A lot of VSG revision patients have said the same thing. They do not feel any restriction. Which goes to show, the mental part of this is so hard. Good for you. Keep up the hard, but good work.

23 minutes ago, Ms. Yvette said:

I'm worried about the "restriction". A lot of VSG revision patients have said the same thing. They do not feel any restriction. Which goes to show, the mental part of this is so hard. Good for you. Keep up the hard, but good work.

Are you revising because of reflux, weight gain, or both? Not having restriction wont keep you from losing weight if that is what you are worried about. In fact I lost 12 lbs the first month after revision and weighed 180 at the time. In 2017 I weighed 296 the day of VSG surgery and only lost 14 lbs. You wont overeat because you will get sick and if you dump that is just as bad. ( at least it is for me lol ) I get violently ill and can lasts a few hours. Once it lasted 4 hours. Good luck to you !

On 11/25/2020 at 8:00 PM, Tracyringo said:

Are you revising because of reflux, weight gain, or both?

I had revision due to bad reflux that was causing damage to my vocal chords but I also never reached my goal weight with the sleeve. I am hoping to reach 145 with this revision. I am currently at 154 and seem to be holding steady and am hoping for another drop. ; ) I was about 173 pre-surgery before the pre-op diet. I am now eating regular foods and am now realizing that there is a restriction and that if I do eat too much, it hurts really bad. I have had a few episodes with dumping however my body doesn't throw things up. I think it's because of the hiatal hernia repair with mesh that keeps foods from coming up. I wish I could throw up as it would be easier and provide relief at times but my body was always one that to hold things down and just make me suffer. So instead, I get the sweats and the pains and just suffer for a period of time. I am pretty much noticing that there is no indication of "about full" and that I am going to have to measure stuff and just stop before reaching the point the of no return. It seems to be all or nothing with this pouch. Once it realizes it is full, it's too late and I have overdone it. I probably need to learn to slow down even more and see if that works but I don't seem to get a signal to the brain that I am full? Maybe, I just never feel hungry and am just eating because I know I need too and so there is no signal because the head doesn't think it is hungry? I guess I need to take stock of what my body is feeling more and see where it goes. I am so terrified of drinking because it goes down so easy and I am always afraid that I am drinking too fast as being told that I could stretch my pouch by drinking to fast. So with that I am constantly trying to slow down my drinking and making sure I don't gulp down Water. My bowels are definitely acting different and I am hoping they level out at some point and they get easier as well as I am currently living on Miralax twice daily to keep things smooth, LOL. This is definitely a different journey then the sleeve. Seems the sleeve was easier?

1 hour ago, Coexister said:

I had revision due to bad reflux that was causing damage to my vocal chords but I also never reached my goal weight with the sleeve. I am hoping to reach 145 with this revision. I am currently at 154 and seem to be holding steady and am hoping for another drop. ; ) I was about 173 pre-surgery before the pre-op diet. I am now eating regular foods and am now realizing that there is a restriction and that if I do eat too much, it hurts really bad. I have had a few episodes with dumping however my body doesn't throw things up. I think it's because of the hiatal hernia repair with mesh that keeps foods from coming up. I wish I could throw up as it would be easier and provide relief at times but my body was always one that to hold things down and just make me suffer. So instead, I get the sweats and the pains and just suffer for a period of time. I am pretty much noticing that there is no indication of "about full" and that I am going to have to measure stuff and just stop before reaching the point the of no return. It seems to be all or nothing with this pouch. Once it realizes it is full, it's too late and I have overdone it. I probably need to learn to slow down even more and see if that works but I don't seem to get a signal to the brain that I am full? Maybe, I just never feel hungry and am just eating because I know I need too and so there is no signal because the head doesn't think it is hungry? I guess I need to take stock of what my body is feeling more and see where it goes. I am so terrified of drinking because it goes down so easy and I am always afraid that I am drinking too fast as being told that I could stretch my pouch by drinking to fast. So with that I am constantly trying to slow down my drinking and making sure I don't gulp down Water. My bowels are definitely acting different and I am hoping they level out at some point and they get easier as well as I am currently living on Miralax twice daily to keep things smooth, LOL. This is definitely a different journey then the sleeve. Seems the sleeve was easier?

I am the exact same way !!! I dont get the signal either until its too late. I had to start measuring food again because I can eat more with this bypass and it gets me into trouble with feeling like crap afterwards. I have to lay down and I cant throw up either so I suffer too. The sleeve was easier for me because it felt more natural. I knew when to stop.

I am sure you will have no problem reaching your goal and more then likely you will go under 145 !! Best of luck