Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve to Bypass & hungry?

Hi all! I went from sleeve to bypass. Didn’t have hunger with the sleeve. Had bypass on 11/2 and I’m starving. Anyone experience this? Is it just because it hard to get enough Protein or will I feel this hungry once I’m on soft foods on the 16th?

I had a bypass on October 29, 2020. I had the sleeve in November 2014 and definitely felt restriction AND loss of hunger. Since my bypass surgery, I'm hungry. Still in the Stage 2 liquid phase, but I'm anxiously waiting for week 3 - soft food!

I didn't have the bypass for weight loss (although I'm hoping weight loss is a side effect). My surgeon told me that I may not see the severe weight drop like I did after the sleeve. I'm just hoping that I will notice the restriction once I start on real food 11/13/20. Until then.........I'm hungry!!!!!

Ah okay yes my hunger is starting to go away now. So odd but my surgeon said I will lose weight bcuz it’s the bypass. My sleeve was a little stretched which he said happens w all sleeves over time. I’ve lost 7 pounds since surgery on liquids. I start my soft foods this Thursday or next Tuesday not sure what way I want to try it yet but I can do between those dates.

I had revision surgery October 7th and it took awhile before my hunger went away. I am now on soft foods and definitely do not feel the restrictions I did when I had the sleeve but I have also not eaten anywhere close to the amount I was eating pre-surgery. I am being cautious in my intake. Normally with sleeve I would feel some resistance with liquids but now they go down easier than ever which worries me. So I pray with regular food I will some kind of restrictions ?

Yeah the restriction is different. I’ve been eating 1/2 cup of yogurt and then stopping trying to see how I feel like am I full idk? Then I hiccup and I’m like okay I’m sure I’m full. I think it’s good we aren’t feeling it. Means we aren’t filling out stomach up yay! 7-10 days I do liquids. Tomorrow i can have soft foods and I cannot wait I just want an egg! I think with regular food we will feel it. For now I’ll just use measuring cup and only eat that. When you hear gurgling or hiccup stop? Who knows lol I’m glad I did this though.

I was revised almost 6 months ago. I had great restriction with the sleeve even at almost 3 years but now NOTHING. Its hard to wrap your head around it in the beginning. I hope you all have some kind of full feeling but I DONT. I feel like I never had WLS which scares the hell out of me. I can see how people regain with the by pass for sure and until you go from sleeve to bypass you dont have a clue !

On 11/12/2020 at 08:50, Tracyringo said:

I was revised almost 6 months ago. I had great restriction with the sleeve even at almost 3 years but now NOTHING. Its hard to wrap your head around it in the beginning. I hope you all have some kind of full feeling but I DONT. I feel like I never had WLS which scares the hell out of me. I can see how people regain with the by pass for sure and until you go from sleeve to bypass you dont have a clue !

That’s scary af! I need revision because of acid reflux but crap, not sure about that now

On 11/15/2020 at 12:10 PM, honeybunz said:

That’s scary af! I need revision because of acid reflux but crap, not sure about that now

Sorry not trying to scare anyone if they need to do it for medical purposes. I had it done for medical. Just because I dont have restriction anymore doesnt mean you wont. I didnt want to revise in the first place so that has just made me more agitated about the whole thing.

I also have to go in for an EGD again because I still have the burning which gave me the esophagitis and now they thinking I may have ulcers !!!

Edited by Tracyringo

On 11/8/2020 at 10:36 PM, Christina760 said:

Hi all! I went from sleeve to bypass. Didn’t have hunger with the sleeve. Had bypass on 11/2 and I’m starving. Anyone experience this? Is it just because it hard to get enough Protein or will I feel this hungry once I’m on soft foods on the 16th?

Oh my goodness I was wondering the same thing about myself. I have not ate but dang I want some chicken.
I don’t remember wanting any kind of food when I had my sleep done 2012.

just had revision to bypass 12/02/20

4 hours ago, ReeTee said:

Oh my goodness I was wondering the same thing about myself. I have not ate but dang I want some chicken.
I don’t remember wanting any kind of food when I had my sleep done 2012.

just had revision to bypass 12/02/20

Yes oh my so hungry it’s crazy. But some days I know it’s because I don’t wanna drink the Protein it’s so gross now and I crave spicy stuff and I never did before lol so weird!

I’m pre-op right now, I am getting a band revision to GB on December 17. I’ve heard that, with GB, you no longer get the “growling stomach” sensations of hunger. Can you guys who have had your revisions describe what your new hunger feels like... Do you still get the growling? Is it nausea? Emptiness? Can you put into words what this “hunger/starving” feeling is like? Thanks in advance for any insight.

13 hours ago, Katiebal_Lecter said:

I’m pre-op right now, I am getting a band revision to GB on December 17. I’ve heard that, with GB, you no longer get the “growling stomach” sensations of hunger. Can you guys who have had your revisions describe what your new hunger feels like... Do you still get the growling? Is it nausea? Emptiness? Can you put into words what this “hunger/starving” feeling is like? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Hi, yes it’s actually a hungry starving feeling. Emptiness is good to describe it. It’s so weird. I have no growling but it’s that feeling as if it should be growling or did long ago. So weird. I guess it’s just a starting feeling. Besides feeling weak cuz my body needs food. That’s the only thing I can say about it. Even after I eat I still feel hungry. It’s so weird. So different from the sleeve which I loved. Glad I have no acid reflux but hmmm I’m wondering if it was worth it lol we shall see! :)

Following up to see how your weight loss is going? I am doing well. Weight loss is slow and I have seem to stall as I am close to goal. I am happy with results though. It is definitely different then the sleeve and I miss things about the sleeve as I don't feel the same fullness as I did with the sleeve. It hurts if I eat to much. I can now eat bread which I couldn't with the sleeve. A little, not a lot which I find funny. I tolerate different things than what I did with the sleeve. Are you finding the same as you explore different foods? Also, I am finding things tasting different. I tolerate liquids with no problem at all, almost too well. Definitely, tolerate liquids much better than I did with the sleeve and so I have to be very careful with this. So, I am curious how you have found your journey so far?

Hi everyone so my revision from sleeve to GB took place on 11/30/2020. I had my sleeve in 2010. I feel hungry all the time, and feel like there is nothing I can eat. I am on the mushy food stage, I can have tuna, Soup, applesauce, warm Cereal etc. But I am so week and out of breath, and actually went today to ER to make sure I did not have any blood clots I am all clear thank God.

I am also having time getting all my fluids, and maybe the weakness is from the weight loss. I lost 19 pound since surgery on 11/30. And from reading other posts it seem like alot. I just want to get my energy back.

On 12/16/2020 at 5:00 AM, Coexister said:

Following up to see how your weight loss is going? I am doing well. Weight loss is slow and I have seem to stall as I am close to goal. I am happy with results though. It is definitely different then the sleeve and I miss things about the sleeve as I don't feel the same fullness as I did with the sleeve. It hurts if I eat to much. I can now eat bread which I couldn't with the sleeve. A little, not a lot which I find funny. I tolerate different things than what I did with the sleeve. Are you finding the same as you explore different foods? Also, I am finding things tasting different. I tolerate liquids with no problem at all, almost too well. Definitely, tolerate liquids much better than I did with the sleeve and so I have to be very careful with this. So, I am curious how you have found your journey so far?

YES! I was sleeved in 2012. After my GB I was hungry for 4 weeks! :( it’s like okay yes I don’t have reflux which is SOOO nice but sometimes I think wow I should have just stayed w my sleeve. But now that I’m losing weight I’m good lol okay try hard boiled egg smashed w lil light mayo, avocado, fat free Beans, cauliflower mash. Measure 1/4 cup. Use baby spoon. Set a timer or stopwatch so you can see how fast you are eating. Set it for 20 min. You need to take that long to eat. Best wishes to you, your energy will return. Since my surgery date I’ve lost 19 pounds too but yes yours is fast! Hope you feel better. Walk daily.