Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constantly ill

Hello! It’s been about 11 weeks since I had my gastric bypass. I’ve the last 4 weeks I consistently feel sick after eating. No matter what I eat I don’t feel well after. I get tired, nauseous, and have very bad phlegm in the back of my throat. Has anyone had this happen?

Are you trying to eat too much? Try cutting your portion sizes in half and see how you feel. As you advance your diet, there are ups and downs and you have to find the sweet spot in what you can tolerate. The frustrating thing is that it is not consistent from day to day. One day you can eat 1/2 cup of something and the next day it is only 2 bites. This will get better, but you have to take it easy. If you are getting sick and slimy after you eat, cut back on the bites.

I was having the same exact problem, and seen my doctor for it was getting worse. I ended up being prescribed something for GERD . Weight loss surgery can end up causing problems with acid and that terrible nausea i would get after eating no matter the amount or substance. I hope this helps . Good luck.

you might want to run this by your clinic. It could just be that you're eating too much or too quickly, or it could be that you've developed a stricture. I had the latter - felt nauseated after eating anything and it progressed to not be able to keep anything down.

I had this too, but after getting very weak one night and having a lot of black runny stool, nearly passed out. I had a bleeding ulcer, a jejunal (never headr of that before) ulcer and lost a lot of blood. I was in the hospital 5 days, didn't need a transfusion (thank god) and am only now, a month later, getting my strength back. I still get a little nausea some days and still get dizzy, lightheaded and sometimes wobbly when when walking. It's not that my blood pressure has dropped either. I'm really wondering about getting it reversed. Because I've been so weak and recovering, I've only lost 55 lbs in 4 months and have stopped. I no longer enjoy eating (and I was a cook and baker my whole life) and with depression, no longer can use comfort food for my depression--which is not getting better. Helping my depression was one of the reasons I got the surgery. It seems to have backfired. Surgery was July 1, went from 286 to 231 and holding (I'm 5-4 and spent decades above 200 lbs, I'm 59)

Edited by KDella
spelling and additional info

Are you trying to eat too much? Try cutting your portion sizes in half and see how you feel. As you advance your diet, there are ups and downs and you have to find the sweet spot in what you can tolerate. The frustrating thing is that it is not consistent from day to day. One day you can eat 1/2 cup of something and the next day it is only 2 bites. This will get better, but you have to take it easy. If you are getting sick and slimy after you eat, cut back on the bites.

1 hour ago, KDella said:

I had this too, but after getting very weak one night and having a lot of black runny stool, nearly passed out. I had a bleeding ulcer, a jejunal (never headr of that before) ulcer and lost a lot of blood. I was in the hospital 5 days, didn't need a transfusion (thank god) and am only now, a month later, getting my strength back. I still get a little nausea some days and still get dizzy, lightheaded and sometimes wobbly when when walking. It's not that my blood pressure has dropped either. I'm really wondering about getting it reversed. Because I've been so weak and recovering, I've only lost 55 lbs in 4 months and have stopped. I no longer enjoy eating (and I was a cook and baker my whole life) and with depression, no longer can use comfort food for my depression--which is not getting better. Helping my depression was one of the reasons I got the surgery. It seems to have backfired. Surgery was July 1, went from 286 to 231 and holding (I'm 5-4 and spent decades above 200 lbs, I'm 59)

Kdella,

I'm sorry you are feeling so discouraged. I also had a bleeding ulcer and blood clots in my legs. It's hard to keep your spirits up when there are complications. But the reality is that you are doing great. 55 pounds in 4 months is actually very good. Nearly everyone stalls around the 4 month mark, so what you are experiencing is normal. There are so many psychological changes that occur after WLS. As you know, it is a lot more than just a physical process. The joy of food will return, but it will be different. The fact that you are a cook and a baker is wonderful, because you have the knowledge to adapt recipes and come up with innovations that will probably help others, as well. Do not get your surgery reversed! You just need to heal and keep following the plan. The weight will come off, and a year from now your body and your outlook will be completely different. You just have to hang in there. As you have discovered, the crutch of comfort food has been taken away, so now you will learn new ways to cope - ways that are healthier and more positive for your life. You have made one of the biggest decisions of your life in getting surgery. It will most likely turn out to be one of the best decisions you have made, but you have to reframe your thoughts to start focusing on what you have instead of what you don't have. You are over half way to your goal weight! That is great! A lot of folks are not that far along in just 4 months - really! You have passed some major hurdles - the first few months are the hardest for everyone, and you had the added complication, but... that is behind you now. It only gets better. Start reworking your favorite meals to see what kind of tasty dishes you can come up with! I discovered a severe gluten intolerance about 10 years ago, and am STILL finding new gluten free recipes that are even better than the originals. (I found an amazing green bean casserole, complete with onion topping that is more delicious than the standard one that everyone brings to potlucks. And I just learned how to back incredible GF bread.) It's a learning adventure that keeps on going..... Learning how to appreciate and prepare healthier foods is like that, too. You start building a catalog of recipes that you and your family like, and it just gets better and better. HANG IN THERE! You are not alone.