Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did you have to wait before returning to work?

Hello all

I had my 3 week follow up with one of the bariatric team friday but I'm more confused now then before I went in

I was told in hospital:-

2 weeks just walking

3 week mark I could start cardio

6 to 8 weeks I could start resistance training

At the post op meeting friday the nurse said 3 weeks from discharge then back to work as in this monday!

I deliver propane to peoples houses in metal cylinders weighing between 5kg to 40kg

How long did you all have to wait before heavy lifting ?

I still have 2 holes not sealed (2 went goopy under the scabs) I'm kind of scared I'm going to hurt my self :(

I went back to work 11 days after surgery, but I have a desk job. I was told not to lift anything over 20 pounds until 6 weeks after surgery, and I think that's pretty standard. Does the nurse know that you do heavy lifting at your job?

Hi Sue

I did tell her what my job was and she said desk worker, Carpenter,plasterer are all ok to work from week 3 onwards even after I told her I still have some pain under the big port hole when trying to twist

I went back to work 2 days post op . I have a desk job and would not recommend this. As your job is laborious with the volume of weight you must lift your stomach muscles are not healed enough at 3 weeks post op. The recommended period for laborious work is 6-8 weeks post op.

I would try to get the word of the surgeon, rather than nurse or office staff, as he is the one who will get to repair any hernias that you create. The typical advice is no more than 10 lb for sometime on the order of 3-6 weeks, maybe a bit more after 3 weeks or so, but usually nothing substantial for at least 6-8 weeks. My doc was a bit more conservative in that he specified no serious core work such as sit ups and crunches for 12 weeks. Arguably, that may not be enough for some.

One of the problems that I learned about talking with the physical therapists after some orthopedic work, is that while your muscles may heal quickly and feel up to more work, the connective tissues like the tendons and ligaments don't have as much blood flow as the muscles, so they heal more slowly and are more vulnerable to being torn (and this would include the fascia that holds the abdominal muscles together, which they cut through for your surgery.) It is not unusual for a sharp sneeze or cough to cause an incisional hernia many weeks or even months after surgery.

Real story here, of my sister's octogenarian FIL who had some sort of hand surgery, After all of the recovery and physical therapy, the surgeon cleared him for all normal activities. His wife, a retired nurse, called the surgeon asked what he had told him -

"just that he could go back to normal activities.... "

"Did you know that he is back under the house digging ditches and pouring concrete? "

"Oh **** I didn't mean that!"

So, it pays to go to the source and to be specific.

Related to that, after my post WLS reconstructive/plastic surgery, when discussing with the surgeon what I could do at the gym and when, he told me that crunches and such loaded, bending abdominal work was out, but surprisingly twisting was fine - he knew exactly what he had done inside, and where the strengths and weaknesses were.

Also, your surgeon may be able to suggest appropriate protective gear - straps or supports - that may help you during this period. But do be specific as to what you do.

Good luck on continued recovery

Thank you all for your input \o/

I wont rush back to work if I do manage to give my self a new hernia I will end up off work much longer

doug