Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling so hungry today

I am 5 days post op. I got my drain out today. And literally ever since I have been feeling soooooooo hungry. Omg. I tried "eating" a little more of my broth, didn't help. Tried doing a Protein Shake, hasn't helped. And I'm feeling hangry and just want to eat . Has anyone else had this problem.? Please tell me it goes away. I've been doing good not really feeling hunger, but today is horrible !!!

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

12 minutes ago, JoanneLaRusch said:

I am 5 days post op. I got my drain out today. And literally ever since I have been feeling soooooooo hungry. Omg. I tried "eating" a little more of my broth, didn't help. Tried doing a Protein Shake, hasn't helped. And I'm feeling hangry and just want to eat . Has anyone else had this problem.? Please tell me it goes away. I've been doing good not really feeling hunger, but today is horrible !!!

Hi Joanne - I' 6 days post op and feel like I've been hungry since day 3! My program has me on Clear Liquids until my 1st post op appointment which is 8 days post op. I am so hungry, and it's definitely not head hunger, it's real hunger. I can't tell you how excited I am to move to the full liquids stage. I don't need to feel full, I just don't want to be hungry.:) I'm hoping other people who have gotten a sleeve and are further out can confirm that being hungry in the beginning is normal for some people!

Hi Joanne - I' 6 days post op and feel like I've been hungry since day 3! My program has me on Clear Liquids until my 1st post op appointment which is 8 days post op. I am so hungry, and it's definitely not head hunger, it's real hunger. I can't tell you how excited I am to move to the full liquids stage. I don't need to feel full, I just don't want to be hungry.:) I'm hoping other people who have gotten a sleeve and are further out can confirm that being hungry in the beginning is normal for some people!
I'm on the full liquids stage. But today I feel like it's just absolutely not cutting it ! Hopefully this will pass for both of us soon!

Ok, so this is probably not what you want to hear but ...

When you had your surgery, most of the area within your stomach that produces the ‘I’m hungry’ hormone, ghrelin, is removed. Small amounts can be produced in the brain, pancreas & small intestines. So while some of the hunger you are experiencing may be real, most of it is likely head hunger.

You’ve been on a liquid diet for weeks & consciously or subconsciously you’re probably bored & wanting some solid food & the foods you always used to eat. You’re also coming to terms with smaller portions, eating slowly & less frequently. Your head is saying to you: this isn’t enough food for me I need more. Plus this has all been very stressful. Prepping for the surgery, the surgery itself, the change to your diet, etc. & many of us turn to food when we’re stressed or emotional. This is all head hunger not real hunger.

This is some of the hard work you have to do. Understanding your hunger - why you eat, when you eat, what you eat - is important to your success. But you can do it. It will get better & easier. Just give yourself time to come to terms with it all & what it means for you.

It’s going to be soooo worth it. Good luck.

BTW - Protein reduces the production of ghrelin - another reason why you need to work at reaching your protein goals each day.

Ok, so this is probably not what you want to hear but ...
When you had your surgery, most of the area within your stomach that produces the ‘I’m hungry’ hormone, ghrelin, is removed. Small amounts can be produced in the brain, pancreas & small intestines. So while some of the hunger you are experiencing may be real, most of it is likely head hunger.
You’ve been on a liquid diet for weeks & consciously or subconsciously you’re probably bored & wanting some solid food & the foods you always used to eat. You’re also coming to terms with smaller portions, eating slowly & less frequently. Your head is saying to you: this isn’t enough food for me I need more. Plus this has all been very stressful. Prepping for the surgery, the surgery itself, the change to your diet, etc. & many of us turn to food when we’re stressed or emotional. This is all head hunger not real hunger.
This is some of the hard work you have to do. Understanding your hunger - why you eat, when you eat, what you eat - is important to your success. But you can do it. It will get better & easier. Just give yourself time to come to terms with it all & what it means for you.
It’s going to be soooo worth it. Good luck.
BTW - Protein reduces the production of ghrelin - another reason why you need to work at reaching your Protein goals each day.

Thank you. I def realize this is going to be a big adjustment. I ate some Soup for dinner, and felt just fine. I think going back to work, I'm use to snacking, and going out to eat with my coworker so I was just in my head most likely. Ty for your response

I was also told when your Fluid levels are low you will think you're hungry, but in reality you're actually thirsty. Try drinking a bit more. It might help!

So! Today I got the Bariatric hot chocolate in and OMG I love it!! It has Protein in it and I'm not getting near the protein that I am needing because if lactose intolerance and issues with the Protein Shakes. So I'm one happy chick today!! So glad to get something to get my protein intake up! Also got some of the protein soups! Excited to try one of those for lunch later!!

I was also told that stomach acid will mimic hunger...so if you were prescribed an antacid, take it, even if you don't feel like you have "heartburn" or acid reflux. Good luck!

4 hours ago, kellym1220 said:

I was also told that stomach acid will mimic hunger...so if you were prescribed an antacid, take it, even if you don't feel like you have "heartburn" or acid reflux. Good luck!

Thank you!!

I had my surgery on Monday, it is now Sunday night and I'm sooo hungry. Before the surgery all my life I used to feel sick when hungry and it's the same now. I feel like liquids aren't doing anything but I can't physically eat any proper food. I'll try to see if some clear Soup helps but I'm already getting heartburn :(

4 minutes ago, AnaBar said:

I had my surgery on Monday, it is now Sunday night and I'm sooo hungry. Before the surgery all my life I used to feel sick when hungry and it's the same now. I feel like liquids aren't doing anything but I can't physically eat any proper food. I'll try to see if some clear Soup helps but I'm already getting heartburn :(

Are you on any medication to help with the heartburn/acid reflux? If not, talk to your surgeon as to what will be beneficial for you.

Sometimes acid reflux can feel like hunger.

You are on full liquids currently? What full liquids are on your food list?

1 minute ago, Lolalita said:

There’s a drain??? For VSG.

Me and the other girls who got gastric sleeves on the same day didn't have one but I remember seeing it in a YouTube video so i guess it depends on the surgeon?

10 hours ago, Hop_Scotch said:

Are you on any medication to help with the heartburn/acid reflux? If not, talk to your surgeon as to what will be beneficial for you.

Sometimes acid reflux can feel like hunger.

You are on full liquids currently? What full liquids are on your food list?

Yes I'm taking medication first thing in the morning but it's difficult because I'm supposed to open the capsule and mix it with Water but it's small granules and it doesn't mix 😬 just starting my second week now so only had clear liquids so far, today I'm starting Protein Shakes, also bought this smooth baby oatmeal haha. Cream Soup might make me fill fuller as well. I definitely don't feel the same as before, I used to be proper sick when hungry. I can't wait to start incorporating normal food!