Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am pre-op but have been actively working on coping skills. food will always be the preferred way so it takes a lot of intention for me to choose another coping strategy instead.

Walking is the most effective for me but it can take some power of will to get myself out the door some days, especially if the weather isn't nice. Some "easier" back ups I have are:

• Listen/watch ASMR videos
  • True crime podcasts while doing some tidying / laundry folding
  • Some pampering (give myself a pedicure/manicure, hair mask, face mask, etc)

If the stressor is something that I am really struggling with and want to vent, I journal on my private Tumblr page.

This may sound and even look to some like I am crazy but when I am stressed or anxious the last thing I want to do is a change of clothes to “work out” so I cleared a path from one end of my house to the other and I will just walk back and forth inside in the air conditioning so that I don’t get all sweaty and need a shower and change of clothes. I also do this when I am on the phone and when I am thinking about food to distract myself and according to Apple Watch I get like 45 minutes to an hour of exercise without really even trying.

I tidy things up. I started having a woman come clean my apartment every few weeks recently, and it has made me really happy because it used to bother me how gross it was, but I couldn't get myself to "deep clean". Now I actually enjoy keeping it tidy and it makes me happy to have a beautiful home. But you might find actually cleaning to be a good way to distract yourself - many people do. I just found it frustrating, although I love putting things away.

I like looking at cute animal pictures and videos online.

I like reading junky books or watching trashy TV (although I avoid anything with commercials because they're always about junk food).

I like throwing things out or donating things - it feels like I'm losing metaphorical weight, the weight of unwanted objects. I joined a Buy Nothing Project on Facebook and I've given so much away on there.

Crafting is great, but can be expensive if there's a lot of supplies to buy. But it can keep your hands busy and away from food!

I will call up a friend to see if they want to go for a walk.

I like to clean and organize stuff. I also like doing anything creative, like crafts. My favorite thing is painting my nails and doing nail art. And one thing I live for is a nice hot bath. It always relieves my stress!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

I go for a walk or a car ride with my dog.

I go to this website every day. Sometimes to comment but a lot of times I just like to read what others have to say.

I do crosswords. Watch YouTube videos. Listen to music. Read books.

Now that it is finally getting hot, I will be spending a lot of time in my parents pool. They only live 10 minutes away.

I love to organize, label, clean out closets, etc. My hubby doesn't like it when I do it because I am always getting rid of stuff. LOL

For 2 months I raked my entire yard and burned leaves. I have an acre of land and did it all myself. It was very hard work, but I loved it. It kept me busy, gave me exercise and now my yard looks awesome. Now I can to start decorating outside.

I pet my cats, play with them. I go outside & talk to my plants. Play a lively song & dance to it, watch something interesting, or get out of the house, walk outside. Talk to the neighbors.

I'm not going to suggest a craft, exercise, or activity, if you have hobbies or exercise clothes or equipment - you already know things you could just do.....

Stop. First you need to get to the why. Sit with the feeling, examine what body sensations or thoughts you are having, or had just BEFORE this urge to run to food popped up. You don't want food, you need something. You might be tired. You might need a hug or to talk to the person you are mad at, you might need to go pay a bill, quit your job, cry, or stop procrastinating in making a decision, or putting off an unpleasant task. You might be being too hard on yourself.

Figure that out. THEN find the activity that will best address the CAUSE.

Bored - the hobbies. Tired - either a nap, or short walk. Lonely - call a friend, get out of the house. Anger - vigorous exercise, then solving it. Hating on yourself - a bath, a spa treatment, etc. Try on some cute outfits. Anxiety - yoga or massage.

And I can't advocate enough about therapy....