Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op liquid diet

Hi everyone! I just found out yesterday that my surgery date is November 23rd. OMG!! So excited and nervous at the same time. I am mostly nervous about the two week liquid diet. From what I understand (I will find out more tomorrow) it will be Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch, lean and green for supper. Would anyone like to share their tips on how to get through these two weeks? I will be starting on November 9th. Thanks in advance!

Lets Start on a good news - Wine and Vodka is a liquid = Thats how i got thru it

Become the broth Master! I am a chef so it was easy for me. but make a bunch of broth's You can buy pastes and powdered mixes

Make yourself some of the Asian broth;s will fill you up and keep you busy

Next become the shake/Smoothie queen you will need this skill for quiet awhile - welcome to the journey and welcome to the group reach out anytime great people in here paying it forward

I wish wine and Vodka were an option for me right now but I don't drink either one...LOL

Where is the best place to buy broths? Which ones do you like the best? I will look up how to make Asian broth. Don't think I have ever had it.

I am going to have to start experimenting. So far I have only tried the chocolate Protein Shakes. I know that will get old quick.

Thanks for welcoming me and sharing! Have a great day!

21 minutes ago, MelissaTEXAS said:

Everything above!

congrats 🎉

Thanks Melissa! I am ready for this journey!

7 hours ago, Sharon Colyer said:

Hi everyone! I just found out yesterday that my surgery date is November 23rd. OMG!! So excited and nervous at the same time. I am mostly nervous about the two week liquid diet. From what I understand (I will find out more tomorrow) it will be Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch, lean and green for supper. Would anyone like to share their tips on how to get through these two weeks? I will be starting on November 9th. Thanks in advance!

Hi! My day is Nov 30th and I'm anxious as well. Good luck to you! (I'm not a chef and making broth always looked waaaay harder to me than buying it. My plan is to find a great organic broth in a few "flavors" and to go with that.)

1 hour ago, niabo said:

Hi! My day is Nov 30th and I'm anxious as well. Good luck to you! (I'm not a chef and making broth always looked waaaay harder to me than buying it. My plan is to find a great organic broth in a few "flavors" and to go with that.)

I made a few broths this week and here is how I did it.

I took a rotisserie chicken that was already cooked. Put it in a crockpot with whatever vegetables that I had (mushrooms, celery, carrots, onions) and then cooked it on low for 18 hours. The best broth every.

I did the same with a roast and it turned out amazing. My daughter was able to eat the chicken and roast after they were taken out and has enjoyed eating them.

First, congrats on getting your surgery date.

Those ‘sweet’ chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, etc. flavoured shakes become old very quickly & you’ll crave something more savoury. That’s why the Soups & broths are key.

Once you’ve had your surgery, make sure you strain & purée the soups & broths extremely well so they’re only liquid. You may find spicier soups hard to tolerate at first post surgery so take it slowly to begin while you’re healing.

BTW - I used to make my chocolate shakes on hot Water & pretend it was a hot chocolate. It took a lot of imagination - lol!

Good luck. It’s sooo worth it.

17 hours ago, mswillis5 said:

I took a rotisserie chicken that was already cooked. Put it in a crockpot with whatever vegetables that I had (mushrooms, celery, carrots, onions) and then cooked it on low for 18 hours. The best broth every.

I did the same with a roast and it turned out amazing. My daughter was able to eat the chicken and roast after they were taken out and has enjoyed eating them.

That sounds really good and easy! I think I will try that! Thanks for sharing!

13 hours ago, Arabesque said:

First, congrats on getting your surgery date.

Those ‘sweet’ chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, etc. flavoured shakes become old very quickly & you’ll crave something more savoury. That’s why the Soups & broths are key.

Once you’ve had your surgery, make sure you strain & purée the Soups & broths extremely well so they’re only liquid. You may find spicier soups hard to tolerate at first post surgery so take it slowly to begin while you’re healing.

BTW - I used to make my chocolate shakes on hot Water & pretend it was a hot chocolate. It took a lot of imagination - lol!

Good luck. It’s sooo worth it.

I am assuming that they will go over most of this with me again once I meet with the surgeon, which is today, but I love hearing from one's that have experienced it themselves.

I do like the idea of using hot Water with the shakes. I have got to learn to be more creative throughout this process.

I am ready!

18 hours ago, niabo said:

Hi! The closer the day gets the more anxious I become. So I completely understand. We will be okay though. This is a huge step that we have chosen to make in our lives. A new way of living. WE GOT THIS! The best of luck to you!

On 11/3/2020 at 6:02 PM, mswillis5 said:

She Nailed it above - peel the meat for others or freeze it - I have done the same as above. Once you do this you will not like store bought broth These are way better

Here is one of my favorite styles

https://lightorangebean.com/mushroom-vegetable-broth/

23 hours ago, Mr Alley Gator said:

She Nailed it above - peel the meat for others or freeze it - I have done the same as above. Once you do this you will not like store bought broth These are way better

Here is one of my favorite styles

https://lightorangebean.com/mushroom-vegetable-broth/

This is all great you guys! Thank you for your sharing with me.

I've been drinking the fairlife core power chocolate shakes (not the performance ones!) the 14 oz, 26g Protein ones and they are quite delicious. When I ordered my Vitamins for post op, I found a chicken Soup Protein Shake. I ordered one pouch to try it because I thought it was really strange but it was actually very good so I ordered the larger container of it. Not sure if I can share where I bought it from since it wasn't from here.

On 11/3/2020 at 9:50 AM, Sharon Colyer said:

I wish wine and Vodka were an option for me right now but I don't drink either one...LOL

Where is the best place to buy broths? Which ones do you like the best? I will look up how to make Asian broth. Don't think I have ever had it.

I am going to have to start experimenting. So far I have only tried the chocolate Protein Shakes. I know that will get old quick.

Thanks for welcoming me and sharing! Have a great day!

My favorite RTD shakes are Quest, unfortunately right now I can only get them from Amazon! The chocolate almost tastes like choc milk. I've been on the pre-op since Saturday. I was drinking Campbells chicken noodle, adding the can of Water and then straining it. I saw Swanson's last night and decided to buy a can. One can is a serving, calories for the entire can is 20 and 2 gr of carbs. I add a little salt and pepper, it was very good. I went to the grocery store this afternoon and got a carton and picked up two cans of their beef broth. Hopefully it will be just as good.