Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 wks out - still having discomfort/getting conflicting info

Hi everyone,

I'm 11 weeks out (this Wednesday) and still having discomfort when eating or drinking anything. The discomfort ranges from mild to moderate and sometimes, severe. It's never really "painful", just feels like I have to burp REALLY bad, even though I feel like I'm constantly burping the second I put food in my mouth, followed almost always by a stomachache within a half hour or so. My gut is always making a TON of noise too! I also feel like I'm getting conflicting info from my surgeon and his team (PA, nurse, dietician, etc.). I had a telemed visit with my surgeon about two weeks ago. He's the most laidback and easy-going of the bunch. He encouraged me to eat anything and everything I want (within reason & making healthy choices), but to be prepared for unexpected reactions. He basically said I have to "live and learn" what I can now tolerate. Of course, he also stressed small, slow-paced, well-chewed bites & portions. I even mentioned that I had a couple sips of a margarita a few weeks ago and his response was a laugh and "I bet that tasted good!" - not the scolding I expected. (BTW, that is the ONLY alcohol I've had since surgery.) I told him about the severe burping and stomachaches and he said that it will pass, but could take up to a year to totally go away. He wasn't the least bit concerned about it. For whatever reason, his PA followed up with me the next day (not sure why, as I had just talked to him) and she was way more strict, almost condescending, telling me NO Pasta, NO bread, NO rice, NO sugar, NO crackers, etc. The surgeon himself said I could have those things in moderation if they agree with me and as long as I'm continuing to lose weight. I'm still eating super healthy, getting my Protein and fluids in for the most part (it's hard when I know it will make me uncomfortable) and I'm still losing weight (down 31.5# since DOS, and that includes a 3-week stall). I guess I'm confused as to who to listen to - not to mention surprised that people on the same team have such conflicting guidance. Thoughts?

I would personally listen to the stricter of the two just to be safe. Your surgeon may not like confrontational situations, hence the second call.

13 minutes ago, sonadora said:

I would personally listen to the stricter of the two just to be safe. Your surgeon may not like confrontational situations, hence the second call.

I might agree with that, however, the dietician (who I meet with next week) also told me at our last meeting that I'm now ok'd to be on the general diet and have no limits, other than making "healthy choices". Not to mention, the surgeon owns this practice, so he's essentially their boss. Something just seems off...like maybe there's some in-fighting going on. I don't know.

Just now, LAJ23 said:

I might agree with that, however, the dietician (who I meet with next week) also told me at our last meeting that I'm now ok'd to be on the general diet and have no limits, other than making "healthy choices". Not to mention, the surgeon owns this practice, so he's essentially their boss. Something just seems off...like maybe there's some in-fighting going on. I don't know.

That may be true. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about what the post-op diet should be like. In the first book, the post-op diet had five stages and one stage was pureed food. The newer (second) book has four stages and removed that pureed food stage completely, and I think that stage may have been more helpful to me. I just lost that book when I was moving, so I can't figure it out.

1 minute ago, sonadora said:

That may be true. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about what the post-op diet should be like. In the first book, the post-op diet had five stages and one stage was pureed food. The newer (second) book has four stages and removed that pureed food stage completely, and I think that stage may have been more helpful to me. I just lost that book when I was moving, so I can't figure it out.

I went thru the pre-op program at one hospital before changing to another location at the last minute (for various reasons). The first hospital had a 2-week post-op pureed stage. The place I ended up going thru only had me on pureed for 2 DAYS. And the doctor who did my surgery worked at the first hospital for 10 years before moving on to his own practice, so he's obviously familiar with the differences in post-op diets. Odd - and can be confusing!

So, how good were you pre-op at 'making healthy choices?' I'm betting not great since you had the VSG.

Before you get to far along you really need to educate yourself on what 'healthy choices' actually means. You also need to focus on the volume of those healthy choices.

I mean, sure, it would be great if my surgeon told me I just needed to make good choices. But, he grasped that perhaps I didn't know and/or I would rationalize what I wanted. The Doc that told you NO Rice, NO Pasta, NO bread, NO crackers, NO sugar is dead on. Unless you can explain how those actually are "healthy choices?" Those "NO" foods are the BEGINNING of healthy choices.

Why your laid-back Doc would think we know what 'healthy choices' are escapes me. The other Doc is the one you want to listen to, if your goal is to lose weight and keep it off.

Really, it's all up to you and what you want. Choose wisely.

Good Luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

31 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

So, how good were you pre-op at 'making healthy choices?' I'm betting not great since you had the VSG.

Before you get to far along you really need to educate yourself on what 'healthy choices' actually means. You also need to focus on the volume of those healthy choices.

I mean, sure, it would be great if my surgeon told me I just needed to make good choices. But, he grasped that perhaps I didn't know and/or I would rationalize what I wanted. The Doc that told you NO Rice, NO Pasta, NO bread, NO crackers, NO sugar is dead on. Unless you can explain how those actually are "healthy choices?" Those "NO" foods are the BEGINNING of healthy choices.

Why your laid-back Doc would think we know what 'healthy choices' are escapes me. The other Doc is the one you want to listen to, if your goal is to lose weight and keep it off.

Really, it's all up to you and what you want. Choose wisely.

Good Luck,

Tek

Pre-op, I was a pretty healthy eater, but my portions were larger. The biggest thing that kept me from losing weight is that after I was pregnant in 2001 (gained about 100# during a terrible, dangerous pregnancy), I was diagnosed with Lupus and Fibromyalgia in Aug. 2002 - 8 months after my son was born. Ever since then, I've had trouble getting the weight off. I'd lose 20# or so here & there, then gain it back because I was unable to exercise & keep active due to severe pain and fatigue. So, unhealthy eating wasn't really my issue. I wasn't even interested in surgery until the head of a weight loss program at a major hospital told me I'd be a great candidate. I have no comorbidities aside from the Lupus & Fibro. I've never had food "issues" (overeating, stress eating, binging, etc.). Surgery was recommended to get the weight off so that I could become more active, which has been the case. I now walk, bike, hike & swim with regularity. So, the surgery did its job as far as that goes.

Edited by LAJ23

5 minutes ago, LAJ23 said:

Pre-op, I was a pretty healthy eater, but my portions were larger. The biggest thing that kept me from losing weight is that after I was pregnant in 2001 (gained about 100# during a terrible, dangerous pregnancy), I was diagnosed with Lupus and Fibromyalgia in Aug. 2002 - 8 months after my son was born. Ever since then, I've had trouble getting the weight off. I'd lose 20# or so here & there, then gain it back because I was unable to exercise & keep active due to severe pain and fatigue. So, unhealthy eating wasn't really my issue. I wasn't even interested in surgery until the head of a weight loss program at a major hospital told me I'd be a great candidate. I have no comorbidities aside from the Lupus & Fibro. I've never had food "issues" (overeating, stress eating, binging, etc.). Surgery was recommended to get the weight off so that I could become more active, which has been the case. I now walk, bike, hike & swim with regularity. So, the surgery did its job as far as that goes.

You know, if you eat healthy and never over eat then the VSG won't do much for you. The whole point of the VSG is to keep you from overeating which you don't do. Odd, that.

But, it makes me wonder why you took exception to the whole NO starches thing. Again, a healthy eater would understand those issues.

Oh well, you have it under control.

Good luck,

Tek

I hope it isn’t like this for you but I’m 3 years out and my stomach/throat STILL make noises, especially at very inconvenient times 😬 My coworkers assure me it’s not as loud as I think it is though 😂

I think it’s decent advice to avoid starches during the weight loss period because you want to maximize the pounds you can get off.

I do take exception to the notion that rice and bread are unhealthy choices. That is ridiculous as a blanket statement.

50 minutes ago, redhead_che said:

I hope it isn’t like this for you but I’m 3 years out and my stomach/throat STILL make noises, especially at very inconvenient times 😬 My coworkers assure me it’s not as loud as I think it is though 😂

Yikes! Well, at least the noises aren't uncomfortable or painful - just NOISY! LOL! Hope yours eventually go away too!

25 minutes ago, Circlesis said:

I think it’s decent advice to avoid starches during the weight loss period because you want to maximize the pounds you can get off.

I do take exception to the notion that rice and bread are unhealthy choices. That is ridiculous as a blanket statement.

I don't necessarily have a problem avoiding starches, however, I'm on a general diet and was told by the surgeon and the dietician that pretty much anything is ok, as long as it's a "healthy choice" (per the post-op diet binder). I'm not cramming myself full of Pasta, bread, potatoes or anything else. As a matter of fact, I've had very little of any of those things, and am still sticking to a low/SF diet as well. My confusion/concern is why two people in the same practice have such differing views and one was downright rude about it. I think I'm doing pretty good as far as weight loss goes - I'm the lowest I've been in about 19 years and still losing!