Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stopped Losing Weight

Hello, this is my first post here. The reason for this post is because I am starting to feel really concerned that I stopped losing weight ever since the first week after surgery. During the first week I lost 20 lbs, but then I started gaining weight back (3-5 lbs, depending on the day). I had surgery about a month ago (Oct 5). I also noticed that I can eat a lot more than it seems like I should be able to. I did overeat a couple times, but it's because I can't really tell when I am feeling full until it's stuck in my throat and such, even when I eat very slowly. I know my food intake is a lot less than before the surgery, but it still seems like too much and I'm concerned that may be why I am not losing any weight. Has anyone else experienced this?

When did you start actually eating? Most surgeons have you on liquid/puree/soft for quite some time...

After two weeks I was able to start eating soft/moist foods, which is the stage I am still on right now. I am allowed to have fish, poultry, Beans, cooked veggies, canned fruits (without sugar added), and things of that sort.

Edited by sonadora

After two weeks I was able to start eating soft/moist foods, which is the stage I am still on right now. I am allowed to have fish, poultry, Beans, cooked veggies, canned fruits (without sugar added), and things of that sort.

Are you logging your food intake daily? If you're gaining, you're eating at least 3500 calories above your basal metabolic rate (your calorie burn rate while sedentary). "Slider" foods like chips, crackers, etc have little nutritional value and will not fill you up for long, making it easy to just graze all day without realizing how much you've eaten. Are you drinking at least 64 oz of Water every day? Eating mostly Protein, with few processed foods?

If you feel like you're doing everything right, then contact your surgery team as soon as you can so they can help figure out what's going on and get you on track.

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

You say you are able to eat more than you should. There is only one way you can know this and that is you are eating more than you should.

You are not compelled to eat until you can't eat. As time moves on the more you eat the more you will be able to eat.

So, focus on your plan. Only put the volume of food on your plate that your plan calls for. Choose wisely and keep your volume where it should be.

The VSG only get's you so far, the rest is up to you. These first months you are relearning new habits. Be sure you learn the correct habits.

Success is up to you.

Good luck,

Tek

1 hour ago, Bwa said:

Are you logging your food intake daily? If you're gaining, you're eating at least 3500 calories above your basal metabolic rate (your calorie burn rate while sedentary). "Slider" foods like chips, crackers, etc have little nutritional value and will not fill you up for long, making it easy to just graze all day without realizing how much you've eaten. Are you drinking at least 64 oz of Water every day? Eating mostly Protein, with few processed foods?

If you feel like you're doing everything right, then contact your surgery team as soon as you can so they can help figure out what's going on and get you on track.

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am starting to log my food intake again since I moved on to the next stage. During the liquid stage I was not tracking my intake except for making sure I got enough Protein. I am definitely not eating even close to 3500 calories a day. My primary care doctor thinks my body might just be in starvation mode, but I don't really know. I am getting 64 ounces of Water every day and at least 60 grams of protein. I have contacted my surgery team several times already, but I am not getting much help. I have an appointment with the dietitian in 10 days, since the one that was supposed to be today somehow wasn't actually scheduled..

3 hours ago, sonadora said:

I am starting to log my food intake again since I moved on to the next stage. During the liquid stage I was not tracking my intake except for making sure I got enough Protein. I am definitely not eating even close to 3500 calories a day. My primary care doctor thinks my body might just be in starvation mode, but I don't really know. I am getting 64 ounces of Water every day and at least 60 grams of Protein. I have contacted my surgery team several times already, but I am not getting much help. I have an appointment with the dietitian in 10 days, since the one that was supposed to be today somehow wasn't actually scheduled..

First 9 days I lost 20 pounds too, then I stopped. I was not gaining but not losing either. The doc said my body is in starvation mode as well, but if that's true then you are not eating enough or not eating the right food lol. That's why your body is storing more; if you're ever going to take carbs make sure it's in liquid form and not much. Chew your food as much as possible. Be conscious of what you eat, dont wait to get filled up. Dont go back to the same routine and add in a few walks, here and there. Good luck

Considering your surgery date I'm guessing you're likely in the three week stall. It's VERY common! Also, during stalls weight can go up a bit by a pound or three and bounce back and forth before your weight loss kicks back in. Just my own experiance anyway... my longest stall was 27 days. I also had one that lasted 23 days. Your body sometimes takes a while to get used to the changes and will stall you on occasion. I've had so many stalls I lost count... but, I've still lost 106 pounds in the 9 months since my surgery so you do get past it. Just continue eating like you're supposed to and try not to stress yourself out about it (almost impossible, I know)

Edited by NovaLuna

It could also be a stall - extremely common - except for the weight gain issue. Stalls usually start in week 3 but can start earlier or later & can last for 1 to 3 weeks. I liked to think of them as my body taking a breath to catch up with all the changes - the surgery, reduced caloric intake, change of diet, change of activity levels...

You’ll experience these along your journey. Some say increasing or decreasing your caloric intake or activity level will kick start your weight loss again. I just stuck to my plan & the weight would start to drop again.

If you’re keeping to your plan, weighing/measuring your food, logging what you’re eating & drinking, making healthy food choices you’ll lose weight.

Good luck.

3400 calories is insane! Everyone above nailed it Log you food and get on a regular healthy low cal no carb program.

If you can afford it get a nutrionist to help you out, or go online and follow a WLS diet program to a tee

I was at 1200 calories a day for the first few months and once i handled that dropped lower and this was done by a Nutrioshiist - Now I will add on thing Stop weighing yourself every hour. You will end up in a Rubber room with a Jacket that buckles from the back. You will see many posts that weight flucuates during this journey.

Focus on a healthy good diet first get in a routine - Someone here posted a long time ago i weigh myself every Sunday morning and log it in my calorie app and adjust from there. Once i did that life was easier

Are the gains temporay (as in gain a few pounds today lose them tomorrow) or ongoing and the 20lb you lost in the first week pretty much disappeared?

If your weight is up and down (as in the gains are temporary) - it could be hormone related or Fluid retention / dehydration for other reasons.

If the gain is ongoing and you have regained a lot or most of your first week loss, I would be very concerned that you may have a non healthy fluid retention (given that you eating very little) - time to chat with your doctor.

you're probably in the infamous three-week stall, as a couple of others suggested. Those typically last 1-3 weeks. Nothing you can do other than stick to your plan and stay off the scale if you need to. As long as you follow your surgeon's plan, the weight loss WILL start up again.

as for worrying that you're eating too much, stick to what you're supposed to eat. You likely had some nerves cut during surgery, so your stomach isn't talking to your brain just yet. Thus, you're unlikely to experience a "full" feeling for awhile. Also, for many of us, "full" feels different than it did before surgery, and it can take awhile to recognize the new "full" cues. So you need to follow your plan rather than your brain for awhile. Weigh/measure and log your food - and stick to the plan.

17 hours ago, sonadora said:

Hello, this is my first post here. The reason for this post is because I am starting to feel really concerned that I stopped losing weight ever since the first week after surgery. During the first week I lost 20 lbs, but then I started gaining weight back (3-5 lbs, depending on the day). I had surgery about a month ago (Oct 5). I also noticed that I can eat a lot more than it seems like I should be able to. I did overeat a couple times, but it's because I can't really tell when I am feeling full until it's stuck in my throat and such, even when I eat very slowly. I know my food intake is a lot less than before the surgery, but it still seems like too much and I'm concerned that may be why I am not losing any weight. Has anyone else experienced this?

If you want to start losing weight again.... It's pretty simple. 1) stary under a 1000 cals a day (i don't know where someone said 3500, that's ridiculous). 2) Plan your meals 3) Portion your meals before it hit the plate. 4) ONLY eat what is on the plate, never go back for more. 5) log your food (like many have said). 6) Only eat at the table, if you eat in front of the tv or in a car you will over eat. 7) NEVER eat and drink. 😎 Move Move Move......

I have had the same issue. I lost 20 pounds in the first week after surgery, then after that I was just gaining and losing the same 5 pounds...then 3 pounds and now I'm just stalled. 24 pounds down for month 1. I am just now entering my second month and I log everything I eat and drink. I usually net about 400-600 cals a day. I started just walking a mile or 2 after dinner and it seemed to help, also I was not drinking enough Water, so I've been making it a point to just keep a 40 oz bottle on hand and sip all day, and refill once more and sip all evening.

I've been in this gain/loss/stall since Oct. 5th actually. But the inches are definitely coming off! Log everything, and eventually it will break the stall I think! I'm telling myself that everyday at least. :)

10 minutes ago, olinda73 said:

I have had the same issue. I lost 20 pounds in the first week after surgery, then after that I was just gaining and losing the same 5 pounds...then 3 pounds and now I'm just stalled. 24 pounds down for month 1. I am just now entering my second month and I log everything I eat and drink. I usually net about 400-600 cals a day. I started just walking a mile or 2 after dinner and it seemed to help, also I was not drinking enough Water, so I've been making it a point to just keep a 40 oz bottle on hand and sip all day, and refill once more and sip all evening.

I've been in this gain/loss/stall since Oct. 5th actually. But the inches are definitely coming off! Log everything, and eventually it will break the stall I think! I'm telling myself that everyday at least. :) 

It's nice to know that it's not only me. I am tracking my calories and eating around the same amount as you and walking daily. My surgeon said I am able to start doing strength training tomorrow, so I plan to start doing that too. The thing I have the biggest issue with is my Water intake. I was bad with getting in enough water before surgery as well, so it's a work in progress. I hope we both start losing lots again soon! 💗