Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in my 20’s

Hi I’m just looking for anyone who can help ease all the thoughts in my head. Lol I’m up for surgery in January and I’m only 23 I’ve always been pretty big my whole life so this whole losing weight thing is a very scary and happy journey. Anybody have any advise. Thank you ❤️

I have been "big" all my life as well. I wish I had had my surgery much, much earlier than i did. It is a big change and it isn't always easy, but if if you are willing to commit to change, it will work. I am 9 months post surgery and feel better than I ever have in years.

I just want to wish you luck and say Reach out to the Veterans around here they can help you on this journey. Trust me 99.9999999% of us say this was the best thing we did

Welcome to the forums.

You face the same issues and challenges we all did. You face the same options. At 23 weight loss surgery wasn't even on my radar. If I considered it at all I would have rejected the idea. Once I did hear about it I was completely opposed to it until I was 43. I believed I could do it on my own as laughable as that idea was. Then, WLS information came at me sideways and I realized it could be for me. The rest is WLS history, I am the stuff of legends now. :)

WLS if done correctly is for the rest of your life. This means your new food plan, whatever it is, is forever. If you are thinking that once you lose your weight you'll be able to return to 'normal' eating then know that your 'normal' life now would come with it.

Eventually, you will be able to eat anything once in a while. Unless you've learned your good habits in the weight loss phase, you'll return to your old habits if you are not very careful.

Be sure you are ready for the commitment.

Good luck,

Tek

12 hours ago, MarahH said:

Hi I’m just looking for anyone who can help ease all the thoughts in my head. Lol I’m up for surgery in January and I’m only 23 I’ve always been pretty big my whole life so this whole losing weight thing is a very scary and happy journey. Anybody have any advise. Thank you ❤️

I think it's a GREAT thing that you're having your surgery at a younger age than many of us. You'll be able to minimize the damage done to your body by being overweight and hopefully you'll have fewer issues with after-effects like loose skin than those of us who had surgery when we were older. You have your whole lifetime to enjoy the benefits of being healthier and slimmer. It may be more of a challenge to fit your new way of eating into your social life, etc. but I think the benefits will so far outweigh the challenges that you'll be super glad you did it. 😄

I was only 31 when I had surgery and I was considering it a couple years before that -- I wish i had done it sooner. So long as you can show your history with failed diets, I don't think that age is a huge factor-- they just want to know that you've tried other things, from what i understand. good luck!

I wish I had done it sooner!

13 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

WLS if done correctly is for the rest of your life. This means your new food plan, whatever it is, is forever. If you are thinking that once you lose your weight you'll be able to return to 'normal' eating then know that your 'normal' life now would come with it.

Eventually, you will be able to eat anything once in a while. Unless you've learned your good habits in the weight loss phase, you'll return to your old habits if you are not very careful.

Be sure you are ready for the commitment.

I completely agree with The Greater Fool above. It's not a matter of whether you are too young to have the surgery, but whether you have the right mindset and are ready to commit to a new way of eating for life. Some people in their 20's are ready, while some in their 50's are not.

You have a tremendous opportunity by taking this step so early in your life, before you have developed a host of medical issues connected with obesity. You have the chance to enjoy a long and health life with bariatric surgery. Take advantage of it!

I think you're wise to address it now. I waited until my 50's after struggling with weight my entire life. Sure, it's added years to my life and I'm happy I did it, but I could have had 30 more happy years. Good luck!

I'm 25 getting the gastric sleeve this month. I've been bigger all my life and the efforts I have made to be the opposite all were fruitless. Throughout my process of all of this, there were a few times where I was thinking maybe I didn't need the surgery, just because I was able to lose weight quickly on the diet. As soon as I thought that, I plateaued, and realized that this is definitely what I need to do, for me and my family. I thought I would be ashamed being so young and getting weight loss surgery cause I guess this is supposed to be my "prime" but there's no shame in admitting you need help in actively pursuing a better and healthier life.

Sent from my IN2017 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi I’m just looking for anyone who can help ease all the thoughts in my head. Lol I’m up for surgery in January and I’m only 23 I’ve always been pretty big my whole life so this whole losing weight thing is a very scary and happy journey. Anybody have any advise. Thank you [emoji3590]

Hey there, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm just starting the journey here and looking to connect with people who are also starting the journey. I have lost about 30 pounds on my own. I want to get down 50 pounds before I start the surgery process. Good luck to you. FYI you already look so amazing

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm 3 weeks out and had surgery at bmi 33 and I'm at the stage where I'm constantly regretting my decision. I wish i could turn back time and not have had this surgery and just lost weight by myself. I'm no longer social, cnt enjoy meals always hungry but can barely eat. Please think long and hard

Sent from my VOG-L29 using BariatricPal mobile app