Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you eat Popcorn after Gastric Bypass?

My Doctor told me I could never eat popcorn again. Has anyone tried and if so how did it go?

My surgeon said the same. However, I do see lots of sleevers eating popcorn. So I'm not sure what the deal is. Popcorn was never a favorite of mine (tasty, but not something I ever ate more than a couple times a year) so I didn't bother to ask why I couldn't have it. I have to admit, I'm curious though.

I've eaten popcorn on several occasions (more than a year after surgery) with no issues.

I’m 8 months post op and have, this past month, eaten popcorn (98% fat free) a few times without issue, maybe 2 cups, chewed it uber well and ate slowly. Surgeon released me to ‘eat anything my body can tolerate easily’ and gave no exceptions. Still, I would tend to listen to your surgeon in case they have their reasons, or at least question him/her on the why.

I eat popcorn. But I was at least a year out (maybe more like two or three?) before I tried it.

I eat it all the time Bagged, Micro Or stir Crazy machine - Now the days of the huge movie bag smoothered in butter with a coke are over

Maybe 2-3 cups popped and I am full to capacity

I have popcorn most nights as a snack. I haven’t had any problems, and figure it’s a good source of Fiber. My doctor doesn’t have a problem with it.

10 hours ago, Tana Lynn said:

My Doctor told me I could never eat popcorn again. Has anyone tried and if so how did it go?

I would go with what your Doc says. Of course, that's what I always say.

What *we* do isn't important. Honest, it isn't. If what we do mattered then there would be nothing you couldn't eat post-op. Between all of us post-ops, there is nothing we haven't eaten.

Oh, it's just _____ once in a while. This logic makes everything OK whenever.

Stay on plan as consistently as you can for as long as you can.

Good luck,

Tek

Talk to your nutritionist. See what they say. I steal a couple of pieces of my boyfriends popcorn every now and then and always avoid the kernels (I think kernels are the main concern with popcorn).

My nutritionist approves. In fact, she encouraged it when I told her I began eating it once it was permitted on my plan because of the Fiber content. I usually have the 100 calorie microwave bags but I can't even eat that much oftentimes (like tonight).

I'm almost 4 months post-op RNY and I can eat popcorn without any issues.

I too had this question so thank you all for responding!!

I have popcorn occasionally and just like everything else, chew well and go slow.

I’m 3 mos. out from surgery and just tried popcorn my hubby made the other day. Just a handful, not even half a cup. Had no problems with it. But I have been constipated for a few days now.....🥴🥴 what can you take for that? I’ve doubled up on my stool softener, but still got nothin! Lol Can I take a laxative?