Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Concerns Is it ok?

Hi I’m exactly a week post Op. Doing pretty good except I really dislike Protein Shakes which leaves me with not too many options.

Two things concerning me right now is that

a) I got tiny little red pimples All over the upper part of my stomach.

b) I also keep having an intense pain (feels like it’s my stomach) it comes strong, last 2 seconds and then subsides. This pain comes and goes especially while eating!

Edited by Whipped
Spelling

I agree, talk with your doctor.

I had little red bumps on my stomach, but it was my skin reacting to the sutures (turned out to be hives for me). It could be anything, though, because your skin goes a little bonkers after a major surgery, so you should ask your doc.

For the pain, are you eating slowly? Are you taking your time? Are you eating hot/cold when it happens? Are you eating the wrong food for your current recovery stage? If you moved on and it's hurting you, like switching from liquid to puree, you can always move backwards and give yourself more time.

I understand hating the Protein Shakes, but Protein is super important. If you can, maybe find some unflavored? Or is it just the texture?

Congrats on the surgery. ❤️ Hope you feel better. Talk to your doc!

Yep, talk to your doctor. Better to be safe than sorry.

I’m with you on the Protein Shakes. Shudder! I persisted with them for the two weeks but did dilute them. I also added broths & Soup - home made chicken strained really well. Made it like you make stock - simmered chicken pieces on the bone with big chunks of celery, onion & carrots, a little garlic & ginger for a couple of hours.

My surgeon also said not to be too focussed on getting all your Protein in to begin but keep increasing your intake over the first couple of weeks till you reach goal. I could only consume 1 shake & a bare 200 mls soup/broth each day (I’d sip them for hours) so no way I hit 60g of protein.

Thank you all! I appreciate all you responses. I guess I will contact my dr tomorrow. Do patients call their drs on his/her private phone number? He called me for a follow up so that’s the only way I have his number. I find that calling the hospital in order to contact him is just too time consuming.

Regarding Protein Shakes. It’s not like I dislike the taste of it. It’s the texture and smell and can’t even take a sip of it.. So I’m definitely not getting the Protein I need 😞

I had little red bumps on my stomach, I figured out they were from whatever they scrubbed my stomach with before surgery. For stomach pain, talk to the doc. I'd personally call your doctor's office, as often the staff know the answer to your questions and if they don't, they will make sure your surgeon answers you.

5 hours ago, Whipped said:

Thank you all! I appreciate all you responses. I guess I will contact my dr tomorrow. Do patients call their drs on his/her private phone number? He called me for a follow up so that’s the only way I have his number. I find that calling the hospital in order to contact him is just too time consuming.

Regarding Protein Shakes. It’s not like I dislike the taste of it. It’s the texture and smell and can’t even take a sip of it.. So I’m definitely not getting the Protein I need 😞

I won't have shakes until Stage Two (in Japan, they are not considered a "tool" of weight loss, but a medical meal), so as @Arabesque mentioned, broth is your friend! I rotate between low sodium chicken, veggie, beef and consomme as I am also allowed basic miso Soup but am not a fan. I just add in a Protein pack to one of them and it's done! EDIT: this is the protein I use, doctor "prescribed", I'm sure there's an equivalent in your country.

Good luck!!

Edited by keudaeyeo