Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tendonitis, Rotator Cuffs, and Changed Physiology

Hey! I'm almost 3 years out, +- 200 lbs down. Close to starting plastics. However, I've been experiencing some sore shoulders and in the last few years I've had sore knees and a sore hip. Tendonitis seems to be a thing for me now. I've been swimming and cycling for the most part, and have been crappy at doing weight training. The latest is having to do a bunch of PT on my shoulders due to calcification and tendonitis in the rotator cuffs. I'm guessing that having lost 200 lbs (HW: 410, CW 208), my gait and general biomechanics have changed quite a bit, as well as having lost muscle (stupid me for not keeping up with weight training), and this adds up to tendonitis and joint issues. Has anyone else experienced some hangups with their joints due to, say, your arms hanging in a much more "normal" position post WLS? I'm seeing an orthopedic dr soon, but I'm guessing that the answer will be more stretching, yoga, and strength training.

Maybe stretching or strength my hunch is now with general better health previously taxed areas are more easily noticed. Glad you have an apt with Ortho.

This is interesting. I have frozen shoulder on the left and nerve impingement on the right and my shoulders don't have full range of motion right now. Never thought about it being weight-loss related. Very interesting.

I have recently had issues with my shoulder, seemingly out of nowhere - not sure if it's weight loss related or just hitting the age when things start to fall apart 🤣 I've been seeing a physical therapist, but Yoga is what has helped the most.

I am going thru this right now as well an thought maybe I had Arthritis coming on in my shoulder

Yes I’ve experienced it too, but I was blaming arthritis which I do have. If I lift heavy weights I pay for it in the joints. I’ve been trying to lift less with more reps until I get stronger for the heavier weights. Yoga seems to help the most. The heat pad helps with stiffness too.

UPDATE: I had physio done, and the end result was that I'd lost a bunch of muscle in my WLS journey, and needed to do some strength training. So, I did the strength training and it got a whole lot better! If I had to do it all over again, I'd start up on strength training WAY earlier than I did. I did lots of cardio (swimming, bicycling, etc...) but dropped the ball on muscle keeping/building.

I’ve had a slipped rotator cuff for 8 years and torn biceps same shoulder. I have gone to get it done just to find out preop I had a herniated disc on my neck that was life threatening and had that done first. I’m allergic to pain meds (recovered from my neck surgery and VSG with only Tylenol) I have heard the shoulder repair is worse than the knee surgery - had an ACL repair on my right one with just Tylenol and Benadryl- by day 2 of non stop crying I was ready to loose it. So I’m Terrified of getting my shoulder done. I’m in pain all the time but not the pain I’ll feel post op. Good luck to all of you who need to have surgery.

I'm also recovering from rotator cuff problems on both sides. This is interesting!

I just found this topic and I can relate. I have had frozen shoulder in both left and right in the past 2 years. I am coming up on my 5 year surgery anniversary this month and never connected the problem. My doctor told me this is a fairly common issue if you have type 2 diabetes and hashimoto thyroid. Thankfully both shoulders are better now but it sure was painful and limited my range of motion.

I wonder if it is related to losing weight?