Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Differences in Surgery/Recovery by Country

Hi all,

I had my surgery 21st October in Osaka, Japan - I have noticed a few differences (food being the HUGE one XD) and I'd like to hear what your post-op looks like.

Here's a translated version of my post-op form:

IMG_6442.thumb.jpg.3fc2bca3510018987cadc4019c2b9d80.jpg

I also had/have the pleasure of "practicing" with this guy everyday, pre and post.

My diet (Stage 1) is similar - 1000ml of straight Water, balancing to 2000ml, but the basics are tea (tea is seen as helpful as Water here), broth (any kind), miso Soup but just the broth and omoyu (重湯), a kind of thin gruel made from rice (lovingly called rice pee here). All 100mls each, with 100% non-citrus fruit juice and a Protein power pack.

How about you guys?

You're writing is almost as bad as mine, which is why I was glad when everything went on-line and I don't have to write anymore.

I would be shocked if there weren't differences as there are as many pre- and post-op plans as there are surgeons.

Most important is to follow your Doc's program. We didn't do so well at choosing or following plans pre-op which is how we ended up needing WLS.

So, follow the plan you were given. Follow it consistently. I've got a whole lecture for folks that don't follow plan. Don't make me pull it out.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

5 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

You're writing is almost as bad as mine, which is why I was glad when everything went on-line and I don't have to write anymore.

I would be shocked if there weren't differences as there are as many pre- and post-op plans as there are surgeons.

Most important is to follow your Doc's program. We didn't do so well at choosing or following plans pre-op which is how we ended up needing WLS.

So, follow the plan you were given. Follow it consistently. I've got a whole lecture for folks that don't follow plan. Don't make me pull it out.

Good luck,

Tek

It's my doctor's handwriting and of course I will follow my plan to the letter. Wanted to see how all of you got through! Oh and to add - I had a sleeve due to osteoarthritis and co-morbidities/lack of mobility and didn't much like the idea of a wheelchair - thanks for your input though, I will avoid the lecture you have!

Edited by keudaeyeo
Additional info

Oh, yeah, Doctors are required to have horrible writing. I should have guessed.

As with all things, some of us did great, some didn't.

I generally did well on my plan. I love Protein (meats), so that aspect was never tough for me. Veggies on the other hand were, being green like Kryptonite, what I had to work at doing well. But, I got some wonderful positive feedback for it all by losing weight, so veggies became part of my normal diet.

Keep that focus on plan, and you will be one of the WLS heroes. They will build statues to you in WLS square to inspire our youth, who will then tear it down.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

1 minute ago, The Greater Fool said:

Oh, yeah, Doctors are required to have horrible writing. I should have guessed.

As with all things, some of us did great, some didn't.

I generally did well on my plan. I love Protein (meats), so that aspect was never tough for me. Veggies on the other hand were, being green like Kryptonite, what I had to work at doing well. But, I got some wonderful positive feedback for it all by losing weight, so veggies became part of my normal diet.

Keep that focus on plan, and you will be one of the WLS heroes. They will build statues to you in WLS square to inspire our youth, who will then tear it down.

Good luck,

Tek

Luckily I'm not a foodie, so the liquid diet has been okay for me so far! I'm only concerned about vacations/going out to eat and recovery at this stage.

And thanks for the support, I hope they leave at least some of our statues when the revolution comes... ;)

Congrats on your surgery, keudaeyeo.

My surgeon allows herbal teas as well. I’ve been drinking green tea for 17 years so being able to drink it certainly helped with my Fluid intake each day. But I wasn’t allowed any sort of juice. Though, when I was further along I used about 50ml of no added sugar or sweetener juice (orange pear, apple & mango blend) to dilute the drinking yoghurt I had 3 or 4 times a week.

Hope everything continues to go well for you. So exciting.