Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel like something is wrong

Hello all. I have been browsing the forum for a while and been building up the courage to write what’s been going on to see if this is normal.

Got a vertical sleeve 9/25. Today according to my doctor I would be on soft. The first few weeks of liquid weren’t bad but I was over pushing a few things nothing crazy. Long story short I have been trying different things like corned beef, tuna, refried Beans, chicken lemon rice Soup and I can’t eat anything. Everyday I feel sick every meal I feel like **** excuse my language I can’t get throughout the day without a nap. I started taking Vitamins this bariatric ones but they taste nasty but they help sometimes but not with my mood I’m honestly getting depressed. I barely eat because everything feels like it’s getting stuck in my throat or upsets my stomach. They want me having 80 grams of Protein a day I can’t even manage 10... I can’t even eat a whole string cheese without feeling like I’m going to vomit. This is getting harder as it goes on for me and it’s making me regret everything. My weight pre op was 340 I got down to 325 before surgery and an 293 now but it’s because I literally barely eat bc I’m afraid too. I can’t drink Water fast so I barely drink water bc I have to take small sips or I choke on it. I almost die every night in the middle of the night when I wake up thirsty and forget to drink slow. Is this normal? I call my doctor and they blame it on me. I started smoking again last week but have felt this way prior. I had some internal bleeding in my abdominal tissue but it cleared up. The last 2 weeks have been the worse. Cereal went down ok but even eggs give me trouble and even when I do eat it’s literally 1-5 bites max and I’m done.

Have you spoke with your surgeon's team? Every person is different, of course, but I wasn't able to eat Beans until after 3 or 4 months. tuna was about 3 months. Beef was at least 6 months out. I still don't eat rice and I'm 9 years out.

Your eating plan sounds way too aggressive for me, but as I mentioned, everybody is different. If I was trying to eat those things 1 month out, I would have been in a lot of pain, too. Talk to your team and find out where you should be at.

chicken was one of the later foods for me. I would backtrack to easier foods again for a while to let your stomach calm down.

Also, you have to find something that you can drink comfortably, it does not have to be plain Water. That is not optional. Dehydration is no joke.

Best of luck to you.

If you are only getting about 10 G Protein per day, something is wrong. You will quickly begin to suffer from malnutrition at that level. Have you tried going back to full liquids for a bit? Protein Shakes, Bone Broth, cream of wheat Cereal, etc. I am 4 month’s post op and still drink at least one Protein Shake per day. Until you can start to get close to your goals, you will feel like garbage. If you cannot tolerate full liquids, keep pushing for answers with your surgeon.

Good luck!

Are you drinking the Protein Drinks? That was my main staple for the first 3-4 weeks. Adding in eggs, apple sauce,, puddings , cheeses, popsicles and soft foods slowly, then Soups and small bites of soft cooked meatballs. And like "wish me smaller", I also have a Protein Drink daily sometimes 2 if I haven't had enough Protein from food.. And I still haven't had boxed cereal , just oatmeal. It seems like chicken, tuna, Beans and such is too soon to eat.

Like the others, I was not able to advance my diet as quickly as my plan prescribed. I relied on Protein Shakes and Bone Broth as my staples and very gradually added in cottage cheese and yogurt, then some refried Beans thinned with broth. meats, fish and eggs did not agree with me for months. You have to listen to your body on this, as far as how to advance to the soft foods.

HOWEVER, Fluid is NON-NEGOTIABLE! You have to get the fluids in, period. 64 oz was prescribed on my plan. Then the Protein. You just have to sip the protein shakes all through the day if you need to. Premier Protein has 30 gms, and other nutrients, so even if you don't eat anything else, getting 2 of those shakes down each day will at least get your protein in, as well as more than 300 calories. As far as Vitamins go, if you use capsules, you can open them and mix with your shakes if you have to. Otherwise, try to swallow the capsules. Don't use pills. There are also chewables.

After the fluids and protein, you start adding the pureed and soft foods very very slowly, as you can tolerate them. A few bites is enough if that is all you can tolerate. I could only eat about 2 oz of anything at first. 1/4 c of cottage cheese or yogurt was more than enough.

This is your work. Fluids, protein, food as tolerated. Sip, sip, sip. One little sip at a time. One spoon of broth at a time. It's how you have to do it. It will get better with every month, but

Like every one else is saying it sounds too aggressive of a diet. Try slow cooker foods. My first soft food was turkey chili and became my life for a couple of months lol. I had a bypass and I’m almost 8 months out and at least 1 meal a day is still Protein drinks and I still can’t eat beef. Hell even chicken is iffy sometimes.

try getting in touch with a nutritionist that works with bariatric patients