Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any 300lb men? How much have you lost?

I’m about 6’ tall and weigh 300lbs. I’ve always been a big guy and I wonder if I’m “big enough” to consider the sleeve. Also worried about becoming “too skinny”. Was wondering how similar sized guys did after the surgery ?

48 yr male, 6' 3", High Weight 382. Surgery Weight 309, Sleeve on 5/18/2020. Current weight 238. Targeting 215-225.

I lost 73 lbs over 10 months pre-op. At 5+ months out from the sleeve, I'm down another 71 lbs. Averaging about .45lb/day so far, but I am slowing down.

Currently eating 900 cals/day with 100+g Protein. Walking 4-5x/week for a total of ~6-8 miles.

Stick to the program - hydrate, Proteins,  light exercise - and it will work.

My stats on the side say it all. I posted those numbers 8 years ago and they are still true today. As bhrobins says, stick to the program. It works.

45yo 6’3” high all time weight 356 (several years ago) surgery weight (June 12, 2020) 334, today 243. I honestly didn’t realize how fat I was until I looked at the before pics just recently.. I knew I was overweight but I just felt like I was a big guy, now I’m honestly horrified at how I looked and it’s hard for me to look at the old me. I really thought that 240 would be a good weight for me but I now know I have at least 30lbs more to go. I don’t have a goal weight, I’ll know it when I hit it, but definitely more to go.
Here is the pic that really messed with my head...

image-0.0029802322387695312.jpg

I'm 6'. Surgery at 345lbs on 2/26. Two more days will make 8 months post op. Im at 226lbs.

Thank you all for your responses! Very helpful. Sorta still scares me because I think I would look sick and unhealthy if I weighed less than 200. When I graduated HS ((I’m 47 yo now) I was 215 and the picture of strength and athletic and good health (I’m wide shouldered and big boned). Thank you for your responses.

You don’t have to be scared of any particular weight. When you’re at a weight you feel good about you can add things like breads and Pasta or other high carb foods to stop the weight loss (and if you overdo it, regain)

I hope you don't mind, I had RNY back in April 2003.

I was 6'2" (now 6'1") and weighed almost precisely 320 pounds, give or take 300 pounds. It took me 11 months to cross from 3-- to 2--. At about this time I was walking several miles a day when I thought I'd experimenting with how running felt.

Running felt good and over the next few months I was eventually running 90+ miles a week. In October 2004 I ran my first marathon. I actually got to having lost too much weight, eventually getting to about 180 pounds, which was far to thin. One year later after my fifth marathon I abruptly stopped running and gained up over then back down to 240 which is a fine weight for me.

During the period I was binge running we worked and failed to keep me from losing too much. My base plan is 3 meals of 3oz Protein + 1oz veggies. This was increased to 6 meals a day and I was still losing too much weight. We added two Protein Drinks and dropped one meal (to 5). I was a binge eater pre-op but with this plan I was unhappy because I felt like I was eating all day. What a weird flip of attitude.

Ultimately, once I stopped binge running, getting to and maintaining an appropriate balance between my plan and my weight seemed to work itself out.

Most people seem to lose restriction with time. My restriction now is not much different than just after surgery. I didn't overeat (much) in the first 18 months. Even when I did increase food to support my binge running I increased the number of meals not the meal composition or size. I don't know if my restriction remains because I was just so focused on compliance, or if there was something unique about how my pouch was created or constructed, or if I was just lucky. I just know my restriction is still in play and I still don't push it much.

In the first 6 months you almost can't not lose weight. I focused on staying as on plan as possible during this period because staying on plan with the positive reinforcement of losing weight is powerful magic. Now, all these years later I still have the positively reinforced mentality that plan = good weight. Perhaps this was my luck.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

On 10/23/2020 at 11:02 PM, tomd74 said:

I’m about 6’ tall and weigh 300lbs. I’ve always been a big guy and I wonder if I’m “big enough” to consider the sleeve. Also worried about becoming “too skinny”. Was wondering how similar sized guys did after the surgery ?

The co-morbidity factors (high blood and cpap) is what made up my mind. I’m same height and weight as you. I just didn’t feel comfortable anymore, clothes didn’t fit, and I had zero energy. I was very athletic when younger, but as my weight increased my activity decreased. I yo-yo dieted for the last 10 years and decided I needed help with Portion Control so I opted for VSG. I’m down 36lbs (Surgery 10/19/20) with a goal of 200. With working out, this is a health weight for me I think. Please know, this is life altering in many ways. You will lose weight if you follow instructions. You will not be able to eat like before without causing harm to yourself. I never realized how strong a food addiction I had until after surgery.

On 10/24/2020 at 3:42 PM, tomd74 said:

Thank you all for your responses! Very helpful. Sorta still scares me because I think I would look sick and unhealthy if I weighed less than 200. When I graduated HS ((I’m 47 yo now) I was 215 and the picture of strength and athletic and good health (I’m wide shouldered and big boned). Thank you for your responses.

You would have to find your balance. I was a big athlete in my younger days (football and weight lifting) so hold 200 really well. If you feel you are getting “too skinny” you can chose to stay at the weight where you feel good. You can still eat normal food, just not at the quantity you did pre-op. If your diet is poor, so will you weight loss. I’m a huge home chef and love to cook. Once I get out of my healing phase, I will still be able to cook and enjoy food. It just will not be my crutch like it was previously.

I wasn't quite to 300, but similar starting BMI (5'9", 284 lbs HW). Surgery 9/21, weighed in 218 today, which is lighter than I have been in 20 years. Before, I was tired all the time and everything hurt. Now I am much more active, my BP is much lower, and I am wearing L pants and XL shirts for the first time in many years. I have about 30 lbs to go, but I think that goal is in reach. I'm glad I did this.

Today, I put on my "skinny" jeans, meaning they were the ones I was hanging on in case I got thin again. They were too loose and I need to go down a size.

Edited by billho