Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all. I'm new here and still in the pre-op stage. With that said, has anyone skipped the puree stage? The idea of eating pureed foods makes my stomach turn. I have a major aversion to certain foods textures, I don't like cottage cheese or mashed potatoes for that reason and highly doubt I'm going to blend up some chicken and veggies and be ok with it. I'm almost certain I will gag and they will come back up. I'm wondering if I can do the liquid stage a bit longer. I know this is a question for my Dr but until then, does anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Lol. Boy post op even more aversions come and things i didnt like before taste better now. I was excited to get into puree but only there for a few days before being approved by surgeon to start soft food. During the puree phase i could exchange food with shakes if i wanted because my surgeons plan is about Counting Proteins. I think it depends on your plan. You could skate through the whole puree thing with shakes if your surgeon allows. For me though, the shakes i tried before surgery i didnt like after surgery.

I’m 3 weeks post op and have just been cleared this morning to go straight onto the soft diet from free fluids. I’m supposed to do the soft diet for 5 weeks.

You don’t have to purée solid food for the puréed stage. I’m with you about puréed meat. I’ve seen a lot of people making stuff like puréed chicken salad and I just can’t. But there are other foods with a puréed texture that you can eat in the puréed stage. Do you Ike yogurt, pudding, applesauce, refried Beans, or puréed Soups (black bean Soup, butternut squash soup, etc.)? You can eat any of that in the puréed stage. The puréed stage isn’t that long (it was just a week for me), so you only need to find a few things you like.

It probably wouldn’t hurt anything to just continue on liquids during the puréed stage, but by that time, you’re probably going to be so sick of Protein Shakes that you’ll be dying to eat something resembling real food.

My nutritionist said that if you "chew, chew, chew, chew, chew" you are pureeing the food in your mouth. I have a REALLY hard time chewing my food thoroughly, i have always wolfed down my food. I haven't had an issue, thank goodness!

But I agree with the above poster, try Beans, eggs, yogurt, Soup, pudding. If you do like pudding, add some GENEPRO or any powdered Protein, or make it with a Protein Shake to up it's protein.

Good luck!

I recommend you do your plan as your Doc/Nut require.

Do NOT chew, chew, chew in the first few weeks because when you don't chew enough, and you won't, your food will stick in your tender surgery, you're gonna wretch, and you be in pain, and you could cause bad things to happen to your surgery. Don't do it.

I thought puree would be yucky but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I went for high flavor profiles.

Following your Doc's plan is about both learning to eat appropriately AND actually following through on a plan. We got to needing WLS by not following plans. Invariably, if we didn't abandon the plan completely, we started making changes, which made other changes easier until we were, well, needing WLS. Losing weight by following the plan gives us positive reinforcement for good choices, and for actually following through on our commitment.

Good luck,

Tek

13 hours ago, xoxoMeli said:

With that said, has anyone skipped the puree stage?

I did. On day one of pureed stage, I blended up some beef and after looking at it, I was all "Um, no thanks". I did another week of full fluids instead and then went directly to soft foods as scheduled.

Edited to add: I just remembered that I did try to eat scrambled eggs made with LOTS of milk to make it fluffy once during that week, but it didn't really do it for me, so that was that.

Edited by ms.sss

I am not exactly a picky eater, except when it comes to texture and how food looks. There is no way EVER I could puree meat or chicken salad or whatever and eat it. I got through the pureed stage by having things that are already pureed, like applesauce and pudding. I never pureed any food. I wouldn't have been able to stomach it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am not exactly a picky eater, except when it comes to texture and how food looks. There is no way EVER I could puree meat or chicken salad or whatever and eat it. I got through the pureed stage by having things that are already pureed, like applesauce and pudding. I never pureed any food. I wouldn't have been able to stomach it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hard boiling [emoji1639]just mashed it with a fork

Sent from my SM-N970U using BariatricPal mobile app

I ate soooooo much yogurt during the purée stage because I simply couldn’t handle puréed meat. Instead I did yogurt and pudding and applesauce and all things puréed that were allowed except meats. I basically was getting all my Protein from high protein yogurt (like Greek or Skyr) and Protein Shakes.

You will be sore, so you can’t exactly jump to solid food if that’s what you’re thinking , but you can do things like yogurt, pintos and cheese from Taco Bell, I purées a peach slice and it was heavenly. You’ll only be able to eat a few bites anyway at that point so it won’t be too bad.

My nutritionist has us skip purée and go to soft food. Idk if it was a good idea though. At 6 months I was back on the soft food and liquid diet for almost a month. Now at almost 8 months I’m being put back on it again. I can’t help but wonder if it would have been better to do the purée stage

I'm totally new so please forgive me if this is a ridiculous question... but what about baby food during the pureed stage?

My nutritionist has us skip purée and go to soft food. Idk if it was a good idea though. At 6 months I was back on the soft food and liquid diet for almost a month. Now at almost 8 months I’m being put back on it again. I can’t help but wonder if it would have been better to do the purée stage
May I ask why you had/have to go back to soft/liquid after 6 and 8mo?

3 minutes ago, GivinItMyALL said:

May I ask why you had/have to go back to soft/liquid after 6 and 8mo?

My stomach suddenly decided to reject solid food. They did several tests and could find no actual problem (such as stricture). Everything I ate would cause severe cramping and vomiting. My pcp that works with the bariatric program lovingly refers to me as a difficult case

Edited by skyewolfe