Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories are you guys getting in per day?

Just wondering if my calorie intake is okay. Mine has been creeping up after surgery. It's been a month and I'm at about 500-700 a day. Can you guys share how many calories you guys eat per day and how long it's been since your surgery? Thanks

My nutritionist said we should have between 600-800.

I shoot for 600 per day. Sometimes I might go up to 800 if I eat out, etc. I'm 10 months out, and have reached goal, but would like to drop a couple more lbs so still in weight loss phase.

I'm 3 months out and averaging 450 calories per day. Nutritionist said I should aim for 800-1000 per day.

I’m four months out and typically get around 400-500 a day I guess. I’m capable of eating more I just don’t want to yet. I’m losing fast and I don’t want to hop off this train just yet. I do a ensure cafe mocha shake for Breakfast and lunch and for dinner I’ll have a couple slices of different cold cuts, a little cheese and some raw veggies, usually cucumber or bell peppers. I keep hydrated with diet mtn dew. It’s certainly not a model diet but it works for me, keeps me satisfied and my second round of blood work came back all perfectly normal.

3 hours ago, Slightly Less Fatty Matty said:

I’m four months out and typically get around 400-500 a day I guess. I’m capable of eating more I just don’t want to yet. I’m losing fast and I don’t want to hop off this train just yet. I do a ensure cafe mocha shake for Breakfast and lunch and for dinner I’ll have a couple slices of different cold cuts, a little cheese and some raw veggies, usually cucumber or bell peppers. I keep hydrated with diet mtn dew. It’s certainly not a model diet but it works for me, keeps me satisfied and my second round of blood work came back all perfectly normal.

Wow, you can have Mountain Dew? I was told no carbonated drinks, ever again. Does it bother you at all? I'm just curious about why I was warned off of it so strongly...

18 hours ago, ClintoftheRocks said:

Just wondering if my calorie intake is okay. Mine has been creeping up after surgery. It's been a month and I'm at about 500-700 a day. Can you guys share how many calories you guys eat per day and how long it's been since your surgery? Thanks

I am 18 months out and I eat about 800 calories per day. I'm not deliberately restricting, that's just how it works out when I eat enough to not be hungry. I'm still losing slowly (2-3 pounds per month) and I assume at some point my weight will stabilize.

I had around 500/day and a goal of 60-70g of Protein for the first 6 months. I hit my goal at 6 months and purposely increased calories 100 a day slowly so within 2 months I was able to hit 1000 calories to slow the loss down. Once I hit 1000 calories the weight loss slowed with frequent stalls which was fine since I was at a normal BMI. Keep in mind I started off at a BMI of 36.

I think the focus should be protein and if track your weight loss. You may hit stalls but you want to see a downward trend every few weeks. A lot of people lose very rapidly for a few months but after the first few weeks my loss was a steady 2-3 pounds a week. Did the MD give you guidelines? I would assume you want to stay at the 500-700 level because it will easily creep up to 800-900 when you are able to physically eat more and it's a slippery slope if you increase too quickly.

I also didn't ever feel hungry but sometimes I would feel a little shaky and would drink some milk so I learned to listen to my body and some days I needed more calories.

My nutritionist has me at 1000 a day. I’m about 4.5 months post op. I do pretty heavy exercise so it works for me.

8 months...700- 850 calories a day... under 35 grams carb daily

1 month - 300-500 a day.

As an alternate perspective, I have never counted calories as a post-op.

My Doc's plan is simple: 3oz Protein, 1oz veggies, 3 times per day. It's probably ever so slightly more some days, less other days.

Which has always suited me fine as I did not want to spend the rest of my life eating calories rather than meals.

As always, follow your plan, what we do is beside the point.

As mom used to say, "If everyone jumped off a cliff would you laugh?" or something like it.

Good luck,

Tek

I am 13 weeks post op and doing between 500 - 700 a day

On 10/18/2020 at 10:59, Jaelzion said:

Wow, you can have Mountain Dew? I was told no carbonated drinks, ever again. Does it bother you at all? I'm just curious about why I was warned off of it so strongly...

It doesn’t bother me in the slightest. So many doctors have such different post op requirements. Mine only gave me a four week plan, after that I was on my own. When I first started drinking carbonated again I took it really slow at first, I shook out most of the carbonation. It didn’t bother me. I’m always hesitant to suggest doing things your doctor says no to, but when I did meet with a local nutritionist (I had surgery in Mexico so once your back home you really are on your own) she said that typically doctors give the safest advice possible to limit phone calls from patients and of course actual harmful situations that could lead to malpractice lawsuits. If I doctor had a patient who had a bad episode from say... carrots they may just add a blanket “no raw veggies” for six months, etc. it’s to protect them, and isn’t necessary for 99% of their patients but better safe than sorry. Once I heard that (and it does make sense) I just went for it with raw veggies, carbonation, etc. perhaps I’m an anomaly but nothing has bothered me. I still make good choices when it comes to food, and even though I know diet sodas aren’t the most wonderful of products it’s not hurting my weight loss which is my main focus right now... and they really do keep me full and satisfied all day.