Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Failed gastric sleeve

I could really do with some advice. I had gastric sleeve done April 2019. In 6 months I lost 6 stone (84 pounds) I was pleased with this as I had 3/4 stone left to lose. I started a medication around 6 months post op and it caused me to stop losing weight, fast forward a few months and I had gained two stone in a month due to my medication so I had to stop it. Ever since I’ve struggled hugely to lose weight I eat about 1,000-1200 calories a day and my restriction is still there. I’ve had no support from bariatric team or dietician, I need some advice on what I should eat, how many calories I should be having and how much exercise I should be doing. I don’t think I’m doing enough.

Welcome to the forums.

About the only advice to offer is to get back on your plan. Religiously. It worked before, it can work again.

If you aren't active or even exercising, perhaps do some of that.

1,000-1,200 calories may or may not be appropriate, it depends how those calories are made up. 1k of carbs <> 1k of Protein.

Good Luck,

Tek

I’m sorry you’ve had this turn around in your weight loss & that your surgical team & dietician are not being supportive.

Your calorie intake does seem a little high for someone wanting to lose weight with an active restriction. When I was losing I was barely eating 500-600 calories eating about 1/3 - 1/2 cup of food at each meal. but that was me. As Tek suggested, go back to your plan & check the foods you are eating, how much & how often. Weigh your food, count calories, check the nutrients, just to make sure you’re on the right path & ensure you’re meeting Protein & Water goals. You’re fortunate your restriction is still working. It helps a lot.

I hope your health improves & that going off your meds has done no harm.

On 10/15/2020 at 3:18 PM, Blossoms said:

I could really do with some advice. I had gastric sleeve done April 2019. In 6 months I lost 6 stone (84 pounds) I was pleased with this as I had 3/4 stone left to lose. I started a medication around 6 months post op and it caused me to stop losing weight, fast forward a few months and I had gained two stone in a month due to my medication so I had to stop it. Ever since I’ve struggled hugely to lose weight I eat about 1,000-1200 calories a day and my restriction is still there. I’ve had no support from bariatric team or dietician, I need some advice on what I should eat, how many calories I should be having and how much exercise I should be doing. I don’t think I’m doing enough.

I wouldn't describe you as a "failed gastric sleeve", you lost 84 pounds! I know how frustrating it is to have to take medication that promotes weight gain, it happened to me with Prednisone. My condition was life-threatening, so I had no choice but to take it. Fortunately, in my case, I didn't have to take it for long and the side effects dissipated pretty promptly once I got off it. You didn't say how long you have been off the medication that caused the problem - is it possible that it is still affecting you? If your bariatric team is not knowlegeable about that particular medication, they may not know what to tell you. Have you tried going back to the doctor that prescribed it? He/She may know better how to manage the after-effects of taking that med. Also, have you googled it? You'd be surprised at how much information there is out there from patients sharing their experiences. For example, I learned online that limiting sodium intake is particularly helpful for mitigating Prednisone weight gain and that helped me a lot. There may be info out there about your particular med as well.

I had my surgery right around the same time you did and I'm only up to about 800 calories per day. Maybe try cutting your calories a little more? Also, I'm sensitive to refined carbs, so even if I eat a low calorie diet, my weight loss will stall if my carbs are too high. I generally keep my carbs below 50 per day. I do a 30 minute walk almost every day and strength training three times a week (nothing too crazy, I have a nice beginner's low-impact full-body workout with dumbbells). I found the routine on YouTube and I chose it because it's something short that I can do consistently. The strength training really helped me to keep losing as I added a bit more muscle mass.

I started with this routine and then added a little more to it over time:

Anyway, don't think of yourself as a failure, life happens. Sorry you ran into this obstacle and hope you are able to get back on track soon. Keep your head up!

On 10/16/2020 at 12:18 AM, Blossoms said:

I eat about 1,000-1200 calories a day and my restriction is still there.

I don't know what meds you took but 1000-1200 kcal is actually not much. Unless you're really short and tiny that's usually not even the BMR.

I’ve had no support from bariatric team or dietician, I need some advice on what I should eat, how many calories I should be having and how much exercise I should be doing. I don’t think I’m doing enough.

There is really no standard advice on what or how much to eat or how much to exercise - it's a highly individual thing once the first few weeks are over. If possible, try to talk to a dietician worth her/his money.

What to eat depends on personal preferences, intolerances (if there are some), availability and for many people also on environmental concerns and/or ethics/religion.

How much to eat depends on how old you are, your gender, your activity level, do you accept starving yourself for a while because you want to lose the weight fast etc.

When it comes to exercise it also depends on the individual. What do you like to do? How much time can/do you want to spend with exercise? What are you able to do?

These are questions only you will be able to answer.