Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coronavirus: to mask or not to mask?

There are multiple studies now saying that the mask helps . . . and multiple studies saying the mask does nothing. So who knows? For me, I'm wearing it because it's required.

Its hard to believe that there are people who dont believe in wearing masks

it is an airbourne transmitted virus

that means that you are in danger of contracting the virus everytime you are near someone not wearing a mask

i wear two surgical masks ensure the nose clip is. Tightand a visor on top of that as you can contract it via your eyes as well

Wearing a visor on its own is of no use without a mask

i work as a nurse in an intensive care unit and it is so sad to see young people dying who we simply cannot save .This is a deadly virus and the UK variant is much easier to contract

.I think wearing a mask a small price to pay to save your life and that of others

in Spain you cannot even be on the beach without a mask

The huge problem is all these covid patients worldwide are taking up ICU beds which there is a limited amount of

it also means that patients are having procedures postponed as there is no ICU beds available

i think if everyone spent one day in a covid unit watching people gasping for breath it might sink home to stay at home and if u must go out please wear a mask

it just common sense really

1 hour ago, punte said:

Its hard to believe that there are people who dont believe in wearing masks

it is an airbourne transmitted virus

that means that you are in danger of contracting the virus everytime you are near someone not wearing a mask

i wear two surgical masks ensure the nose clip is. Tightand a visor on top of that as you can contract it via your eyes as well

Wearing a visor on its own is of no use without a mask

i work as a nurse in an intensive care unit and it is so sad to see young people dying who we simply cannot save .This is a deadly virus and the UK variant is much easier to contract

.I think wearing a mask a small price to pay to save your life and that of others

in Spain you cannot even be on the beach without a mask

The huge problem is all these covid patients worldwide are taking up ICU beds which there is a limited amount of

it also means that patients are having procedures postponed as there is no ICU beds available

i think if everyone spent one day in a covid unit watching people gasping for breath it might sink home to stay at home and if u must go out please wear a mask

it just common sense really

Well said! I am a retired nurse and I am fed up with the selfishness of people who ignore the public health risk of this potentially deadly disease! We used to care about each other in America. I don’t know what changed that but it is certainly not good.

Wear a mask. And I know folks are out there who think they’ll get the second shot, rip off their mask and burn it right there in the clinic parking lot, but - STILL WEAR THE MASK.

The science isn’t settled yet as to whether the vaccination means it also prevents you from passing it on. So there is a scenario where you’re vaccinated, you go to a large gathering maskless and YOU get everyone there sick because you were infectious and had no idea because the vaccine protected you from symptoms. So far, the one thing we’re sure of is the vaccine prevents cases from getting deadly, not whether it halts the transmission.

And then there’s all the emerging variants stuff and please, please just mask up and stay away from other people. I am an exhausted, demoralized covid researcher and system designer and 2020 has been brutal for people being willfully stupid about a pandemic. It’s been sickening to watch people claim that “no one could have predicted this” when I know that’s bull because I told you in your office repeatedly what was going to happen and what you needed to do to mitigate and you told me it was too hard and your people would be fine.

I can’t even imagine what it must be like for medical professionals.

I wore mine always when going to appointments. In fact, I doubled before it was recommended. In the hospital, I wore it outside of my room but not inside. Luckily, the majority of the nurses and surgeon had been vaccinated which scientists are now leaning that being vacced cuts down on transmissibility.

I will continue to double mask even though I had my first dose of vaccine to ensure I protect those around me. 

Please wear a mask.

Edited to add: Why did you ask when you were already going to talk about it being carcinogenic? As someone who studied toxicology, you’d have to eat lots of them for it to have that kind of effect. Wearing them for 30 mins at the grocery, I doubt it. 

On 10/15/2020 at 2:09 AM, Numbheart said:

Is wearing a mask protects you from contracting the virus?

Wear a mask.

What about after the vaccine, do you feel it’s safe to go in public without a mask?

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

What about after the vaccine, do you feel it’s safe to go in public without a mask?

Not sure what the directive is in other parts of the world, but the message here is that even with the vaccine, it is still advisable to wear a mask AND social distance. The mask if really for benefit of others, not for you.

Edited by ms.sss

13 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Not sure what the directive is in other parts of the world, but the message here is that even with the vaccine, it is still advisable to wear a mask AND social distance. The mask if really for benefit of others, not for you.

Part of what I hear is exactly that but also it is said in small groups of others who are also vaccinated it is not necessary. Yet the vaccine is not 100% and they say that the variants may breakthrough the vaccine so idk. I asked because I really don’t know. I will wear in public just in case I could be a carrier but I don’t think That’s how it works. In private, however, with other vaccinated people I am tempted to relax a little, yet also afraid at the same time.

13 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I will wear in public just in case I could be a carrier but I don’t think That’s how it works. In private, however, with other vaccinated people I am tempted to relax a little, yet also afraid at the same time.

That's a good point about being around other vaccinated people.

We are currently in lock-down again (until May 20th, at least, ugh) and we were not given different sets of rules for the vaccinated and the un-vaccinated. Currently we are told that everyone, regardless of vaccination status, has to stay home, and only be around people from their own households....so i dunno either. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I can’t believe this is really a question that is being asked 13 months into this pandemic 🤦🏼‍♀️.