Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coronavirus: to mask or not to mask?

I would think it would lessen the number of community transfers where social distancing is difficult to manage.

If I was in an area with a large number of cases or worked in a field where I was at risk, I would most certanily wear a mask. The mask not only lessens the risk for the wearer, but anyone the wearer comes into close cotact with should the wearer have the virus.

As it is, where I am there hasn't been a case for sometime, masks are not generally required or needed, unless someone is a visitor to the state and granted exemption from quarantine (for essential work or other reason), they must be masked up at all time when outside their accommodation.

Wearing a mask keeps your germs close to your own face instead of spreading them out to others. Your mask protects the people around you, Their masks protect you.

A properly fitted N-95 actually filters out the particles and protects you. However, the key is to have a properly fitted mask. Healthcare workers are fit tested annually to ensure they have the proper size and know how to test it for fit. They use these masks when caring for patients with airborne infections. N-95 masks are not easy to wear. They are quite hot and difficult to breathe through, as every bit of air is going through the mask. Furthermore, if the mask gets wet or damp from condensation, it is worthless. I laugh when I see people out and about with N-95's that are obviously not fitted well. They are only as effective as a simple paper or cloth mask, but give the wearer a false sense of security.

So, to answer your question, yes, wearing masks offers a layer of protection from the virus. But everyone has to be wearing one. If 99 people wear a mask and 1 person who has the virus does not wear one, then everyone is at higher risk. But...... you cannot be touching your mask, and it needs to be kept clean. Also, wearing it below your nose is pointless.

As to what kind of mask to wear, the LEAST effective are the single layer neck gators. Double layer cloth masks and the paper surgical masks are about the same and are effective.

Keeping your hands clean and not touching your face are just as important as wearing a mask. These measures will also help prevent the flu. Any by the way, people, GET YOUR FLU SHOTS! This is NOT the year to skip it. I can only imagine how bad it would be to get the flu and Covid at the same time.

Please please always mask!! There are a lot of us that are high risk and they really don't know the long term effects of covid. Masking isn't a big deal and everyone, everywhere are wearing them so it's normal ... at least here in Michigan. We all buckle our seatbelts so what's the difference? We do it to protect ourselves and others !

AZHiker (hi neighbor) is spot on.

My additional strong opinion is: Masks protect the people we are around. Anyone that refuses to wear a mask, aside from legitimate reasons, is being selfish and self centered and purposely endangering those around them.

Wear a mask. Don't be a putz.

Tek

5 hours ago, AZhiker said:

Wearing a mask keeps your germs close to your own face instead of spreading them out to others. Your mask protects the people around you, Their masks protect you.

A properly fitted N-95 actually filters out the particles and protects you. However, the key is to have a properly fitted mask. Healthcare workers are fit tested annually to ensure they have the proper size and know how to test it for fit. They use these masks when caring for patients with airborne infections. N-95 masks are not easy to wear. They are quite hot and difficult to breathe through, as every bit of air is going through the mask. Furthermore, if the mask gets wet or damp from condensation, it is worthless. I laugh when I see people out and about with N-95's that are obviously not fitted well. They are only as effective as a simple paper or cloth mask, but give the wearer a false sense of security.

So, to answer your question, yes, wearing masks offers a layer of protection from the virus. But everyone has to be wearing one. If 99 people wear a mask and 1 person who has the virus does not wear one, then everyone is at higher risk. But...... you cannot be touching your mask, and it needs to be kept clean. Also, wearing it below your nose is pointless.

As to what kind of mask to wear, the LEAST effective are the single layer neck gators. Double layer cloth masks and the paper surgical masks are about the same and are effective.

Keeping your hands clean and not touching your face are just as important as wearing a mask. These measures will also help prevent the flu. Any by the way, people, GET YOUR FLU SHOTS! This is NOT the year to skip it. I can only imagine how bad it would be to get the flu and Covid at the same time.

+1

All of the above!

The CDC has done a study and found the majority of people (70.6%) contracting corona virus always wore masks. So, based on the data, no a mask will not keep you from getting corona virus. The size of the virus is too small for any mask other than a N-95 mask to block it.

That being said, the real purpose of the mask is to prevent YOU from spreading corona virus if you contract it. The majority of people contracting corona virus have mild or no symptoms, so please wear a mask when you will be in contact with others and cannot distance yourself.

Screen-Shot-2020-10-12-at-10.09.31-AM.pn

Edited by Uomograsso

5 hours ago, Uomograsso said:

The CDC has done a study and found the majority of people (70.6%) contracting corona virus always wore masks. So, based on the data, no a mask will not keep you from getting corona virus. The size of the virus is too small for any mask other than a N-95 mask to block it.

That being said, the real purpose of the mask is to prevent YOU from spreading corona virus if you contract it. The majority of people contracting corona virus have mild or no symptoms, so please wear a mask when you will be in contact with others and cannot distance yourself.

Screen-Shot-2020-10-12-at-10.09.31-AM.pn

Agree that the virus particles are small enough to go through anything, BUT..... for the most part, they are carried by droplets. The masks decrease the spread of droplets through the air by keeping the exhaled droplets close to your face.

Is wearing a mask protects you from contracting the virus?

So, for those of you who had your WLS in 2020, did you have to wear your mask while you were in the hospital? My pre-op appointment is tomorrow, and I'll find out then, but while I'm waiting I wonder what y'all experienced.

Sent from my SM-T710 using BariatricPal mobile app

So, for those of you who had your WLS in 2020, did you have to wear your mask while you were in the hospital? My pre-op appointment is tomorrow, and I'll find out then, but while I'm waiting I wonder what y'all experienced.

Sent from my SM-T710 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had to wear one in the hospital when I was out of my room, but did not have to in my room. I did put it on when the nurses or doctors came in.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

This is really a healthy place to share healthy ideas, but did you know???

Those Blue Masks Mandated at grocery stores and airplanes are made of PTFE, a carcinogen made from synthetic fluoride. According to Cancer.Org, it increases the risk of liver, pancreas, kidney, and breast tumors+ ulcerative colitis, thyroid disease, preeclampsia, and high cholesterol. High expose can cause influenza-like symptoms and hemorrhaging in the lungs, leading to suffocation.

But no big deal...wear them every day because it's the virtuous thing to do~

Edited by Numbheart

11 minutes ago, Numbheart said:

This is really a healthy place to share healthy ideas, but did you know???

Those Blue Masks Mandated at grocery stores and airplanes are made of PTFE, a carcinogen made from synthetic fluoride. According to Cancer.Org, it increases the risk of liver, pancreas, kidney, and breast tumors+ ulcerative colitis, thyroid disease, preeclampsia, and high cholesterol. High expose can cause influenza-like symptoms and hemorrhaging in the lungs, leading to suffocation.

But no big deal...wear them every day because it's the virtuous thing to do~

Is there evidence that the masks contain PTFE? And what about peer reviewed research for the PTFE?

Shame your original post wasn't upfront in your intention.