Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I am scheduled for surgery on 23 of November and am having doubts.

My primary concerns are:

1. I enjoy high-end and experimental food and serious dining as a pastime. It is one of my only social outlets which will majorly change post-op. I don't drink, gamble, smoke, etc.

2. I have never been overweight until 7 years ago and am now 70lbs overweight. Is this a foolish way to go? Could I just bit the bullet and do this myself or am I too far gone?

3. I am addicted to sugar. Does this surgery really help that?

I've enjoyed reading your comments and hope you have some for me!!!!

Andrew

Welcome to the forums.

VSG is purely restriction, so:

1. If volume isn't an issue, you should be ok(ish) if you a) don't do it often; b) don't learn to eat around the restriction;

2. This is totally your call;

3. VSG won't stop sugar much;

Seems like you may need to think things through a bit.

Good luck,

Tek

It sounds like 1 and 3 are the cause of 2, so surgery or not they’ll have to go or be significantly reduced.
As far as just doing it yourself, statistically speaking it’s unlikely to be successful in the long term, but that’s statistics... where on that line you fall isn’t something anyone here can honestly answer. As far as answering #3 it’s hard to for me.. Ever since I was a kid I was a Cereal junkie and I’d pour a crap ton of sugar on my corn flakes, like a layer of milk/sugar mud on the bottom. But I can’t say I was ever addicted to it, I just really liked it. Never had compulsions to eat it like I imagine a true addiction would be like. But, I haven’t had a touch of cereal in four months since my surgery. I think it’s more about me wanting to be successful though. Even though I’m never hungry and I have to remind myself to eat anything at all, I know this honeymoon phase won’t last forever so I’m really trying to always make good choices today so when that time comes I’ll be more prepared.

Hi! And welcome to the forums!

1. I enjoy high-end and experimental foodand serious dining as a pastime. It is one of my only social outlets which will majorly change post-op.

It doesn’t have to. WLS has not changed my social habits. I still go out to restaurants/bars/parties (well i did until pandemic struck..); my eating habits however did change: I eat much, much, less. And I tend to only eat/sample stuff that is “worth it”, or “worth a try”. Instead of eating an entire appetizer/meal/dessert, I’d just have a fraction of it (though i have been known to order multiple things off the menu and just end up taking it home...sometimes the ordering is more fun than the eating). Sooo...i can still be a foodie, but more a sampling foodie vs a gluttonous one. Tasting menus are my absolute fave (and my dining partners love it too cuz they get to eat what I don’t, lol) m

2. I have never been overweight until 7 years ago and am now 70lbs overweight. Is this a foolish way to go? Could I just bit the bullet and do this myself or am I too far gone?

This you need to decide for yourself. But really, its never too late until you are dead, right? I was relatively normal sized until about 30, when I started gaining weight steadily and ended up being 120 lbs overweight over the next 15 years. Had my surgery 2 years ago and have been normal sized for a while now. Wasn’t too late for me...and I’m pushing 50, yikes! If you have the means to do so, what have u got to lose?

No, I don’t think the surgery will help with that if its a true addiction. You may need to address that separately/in conjunction. But like one of the posters above alluded to, if you just really, really like it, your tastes *may* change...but there is no guarantee for that (I still love me some dessert..but only after I lost the weight)

Good Luck!

Edited by ms.sss

I was a full blown carb and sugar junkie. I did not miss a day without eating A LOT of both. After surgery - I do NOT need them at all. You have such limited room in your tummy that it easily get filled up with meat, Protein Shakes and other low carb/low sugar treats... that you don't miss them.

Your #1 reason seems like an excuse, tbh. Most of us were food addicts too, but we decided we wanted to make a change for our health and that was more important than the addiction. I have swapped my food addiction for exercising... You can find other hobbies that are just as enjoyable but without all the negative effects of overeating.

It just depends on if you truly want to or not.

Trust me - a lot of us went through a "food funeral" before our surgery -- coming to terms with having to find other stimulations to satisfy us besides food.

You can do it too... IF you WANT to.

1 hour ago, Andyrew said:

Hello,

I am scheduled for surgery on 23 of November and am having doubts.

My primary concerns are:

1. I enjoy high-end and experimental food and serious dining as a pastime. It is one of my only social outlets which will majorly change post-op. I don't drink, gamble, smoke, etc.

I've enjoyed reading your comments and hope you have some for me!!!!

Andrew

1.) you will still be able to enjoy food, just not in large quantities anymore. I do enjoy a drink but like you, i don't do anything else. When we go out to eat, my husband and i usually just split something or do appetizers. The lapband was more restrictive with what foods.....Sleeve is just the amount. Instead of eating a whole steak, i only eat 2-4 oz.... same thing with most everything else.

2.) i wasn't over weight till my 30ies.... all my life i was thin.... then my body just started to change and i put on over 100lbs. my HW was 232. Lapband changed all that. I got and stayed at 143lbs for yearsssss. In 2017 i had to have a removal due to a slip. I put back 30.5lbs. I got sleeved 8/28/19 and today i sit at 120lbs... (5'2"). WLS was/is the only thing that has worked for me..... sleeve cost me 14k... worth every penny.

3.) No, WLS will not help with sugar cravings. You will have to control that on your own.

best of luck.....

Oh my goodness! What support and what helpful answers you have given. I love the term "Food Funeral" and I love the fact you have all basically stated that one can still enjoy food, but the quantities are just smaller. I also love the positivity I hear about your experiences. Thank you.

I joined and posted today because I have heard wonderful things about Gastric Sleeve, but then a close friend said that I need to ask the tough questions. 5 years ago I gave up drinking and smoking and I NEVER looked back. I did, however, get lots of support.

I know it will be hard at the start but I will gain health and confidence in the long run.

I would like to add too that during the pre and post op diet stages you will detox all of the sugar and junk out of your system completely.

As you add foods back in during the weeks after surgery, you will ultimately choose what will be part of your new normal diet.

1 hour ago, Andyrew said:

Oh my goodness! What support and what helpful answers you have given. I love the term "Food Funeral" and I love the fact you have all basically stated that one can still enjoy food, but the quantities are just smaller. I also love the positivity I hear about your experiences. Thank you.

I joined and posted today because I have heard wonderful things about Gastric Sleeve, but then a close friend said that I need to ask the tough questions. 5 years ago I gave up drinking and smoking and I NEVER looked back. I did, however, get lots of support.

I know it will be hard at the start but I will gain health and confidence in the long run.

I am glad the responses helped. I think a lot of us had the same thoughts and worries. food was a comfort and thinking of taking that away saddened and scared me, but your mindset really does change. I never thought mine would, but it did. Also during the surgery much of the "hunger hormone" called ghrelin is cut away, which helps with the cravings.

I will say for the first few weeks after the surgery - I had phantom like cravings.. like my mind hadn't "caught" up to what was going on with my stomach. Even though I wasn't even close to hungry - I had these cravings, but that went away after a few weeks. It was bizarre, but I've read it is normal with some people.

I had never been overweight until the last 8 years either. I was always tiny... sometimes TOO tiny, then it seemed like out of nowhere - I started gaining about 5-10 lbs each year and before I knew it - I was 192 lbs. It scared me. It definitely was food addiction - I just didn't realize it.

I hope you decide to go through with the surgery, because it has been such an incredible thing for my life and health, but again - only you can determine whether you want it.

I appreciate your concerns about being able to enjoy dining out post surgery. It was one of mine as well. The challenges for me when dining out is quantity & time. I need time to eat & I can’t eat much. I often find hovering wait staff wanting to clear the table stressful & sets off my restriction more quickly. At least in high end dining the portion size with a main course is reasonable & quite manageable though I still usually order an entree (appetiser). Usually I quietly explain I’m on a medically restricted diet & they’re ok with that though I have been faced with being told I had to order a main as a minimum. My biggest regret is degustation menus. There are many restaurants I’d love to go to but would not be able to enjoy or consume a 6, 7, 8+ course tasting menu. (I wish I’d never put off going to Attica & I’ll never go back to Vue de Monde in Melbourne. Heavy sobbing.)

Pre surgery I enjoyed a sweet treat but didn’t have sugar cravings. I struggle with all sweet things now. Simply because of it being dramatically reduced from my pre & post surgical diet. So many things just taste far too sweet. I only eat fruit if I want a little sugar boost. Artificial sweeteners only feed your sugar cravings & there’s so much in foods today it’s very difficult to avoid it. Some sleevers can’t tolerate it at all & dump but it’s more of the exception.

There are changes you will have to make to how you eat & what you eat to be successful with your weight loss & then to maintain the loss whether you have the surgery or decide to do it yourself. It is a big decision to have the surgery. You just have to weigh (pun not intended) up the pros & cons. For me, losing the weight & being healthy won out every time & I haven’t regretted it.

I wish you luck with whichever path you decide to take.

27 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

My biggest regret is degustation menus. There are many restaurants I’d love to go to but would not be able to enjoy or consume a 6, 7, 8+ course tasting menu. (I wish I’d never put off going to Attica & I’ll never go back to Vue de Monde in Melbourne. Heavy sobbing.)

Re: Tasting menus: I have the opposite view on this, lol. I love that I can have one bite (or two) of a 6, 7, 8+ course tasting menu instead of having to commit to just one dish with several bites. Plus if I don't like (or don't want) one of the courses, there is always the next one to try! I used to leave these types of restaurants overly full because I would eat everything on every plate they put in front of me. OR, i would leave still hungry because the plates were soooooo small. Post-wls, I am completely happy to just to have a sample bite of every course (unless its rice/bread/pasta) and give the rest to Mr. or whomever, who are generally eager to eat what I haven't, lol.

Now I'm off to Google Attica and Vue De Monde to drool over their menus....

Edited to Add: BOO. neither of these places have their menus online these days. Eff you Covid.

Edited by ms.sss

Aaah, Melbourne has been in extreme shut down for ages so they’re not open for dining. Attica was listed as one of the top 50 restaurants in the world until last year & Vue de Monde’s been best restaurant in Aust a few times. Honestly, I can’t justify paying $250 -$300+ for a meal of which I’ll eat 1/3 now even if it’s fabulous. Though, at least I’d save on the alcohol part of the bill these days - lol. Last time we went to V de M, we left >$500 a head poorer. Was worth it though.