Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regained weight support

35 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Alot of us on here got the surgery costs covered by insurance, so yeah, having to shell out $19K adds ALOT to think about.

Its easy to say now that I am 2 years post op that I would totally do it again, even if I had to pay, but really, if I think about it, I’m not 100% sure I would have gone through with it knowing nothing of my outcome back then if I had to shell out that much cash.

With that said:

I started gaining weight about 15 years ago, and spent maybe the last 10 of those years morbidly obese. Yes, I had done diet and exercise several times...on THREE separate occasions I even lost 50+ lbs. The longest I kept those 50+ lost lbs off my body was probably 2 months max...until it started to slowly pile back on to return in its entirety plus some within 4-5 months. There was no mystery to this: I went back to eating the way I did pre-diet and stopped exercising.

Now, with WLS, I have been able to keep the 120lbs I lost off of me for SEVENTEEN MONTHS so far. Again, there is no mystery to this: I eat much less and I exercise every day. Yes, I am doing this myself, but the WLS gives me a HUGE boost (at least with the eating part...I actually have no idea why I stay active all this time, and actually like it, GASP!)

I have no illusions that I am immune to weight gain. Just because I had WLS does not mean I can’t eat Cookies for every meal and sit on the couch all day (but it will limit me to the number of Cookies I eat at a time). I have to keep doing what Im doing to maintain where Im at. So far, so good, but we’ll see I guess. In the meantime, I am grateful and satisfied with it all.

Soooooo....this is my long winded response that I do agree with you that your immediate and long term success is primarily up to you, but the WLS gives you that extra “umph” to help u get there (and stay there).

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks Ms. sss - it certainly is a tough call. I paid $16,000 in 2009 for the lap band that is now being taken out. MGB will be an additional $19,000. Believe me, I am all for investing in myself but its a hard pill to swallow if it is only for another 5-10 years. The trend seems to be after a certain amount of time, people are following low cal, exercise, feel like they are starving themselves and nothing is happening. Weirdly enough, weight gain is my least worry. Sure, it will frustrate me, but any medical complications scare the bejesus out of me! I'm hearing ulcers and yet more revisions? I'm 50 now; I don't really want to be having surgeries in my 60's and 70's when the risks become greater. My surgeon/clinic provides support etc for 5 years. I think that says a lot as well. Its not lifetime.

One side of me says, just do it - you have read enough to know it will help you stay on a healthy lifestyle. And the other says, get a personal trainer and have him/her weigh you in 3 days/week to be accountable.

I don't have to make the decision today. I am grateful for site's like these that can assist in decision making. Back in 2009 there wasnt much support for the lap band.

Truth be told.... I may have gone a different direction if my insurance hadn’t pay. Just not sure. My issue also dealt with horrible acid reflux and it affected my quality of life. I ate high fat comforting foods because it kept the reflux at bay. Has I not had this issue, I may have been more of a success story.

The second time around.... I’m definitely not gonna take this for granted. I’m also going to focus on my health Holistically: mind, body and spirit. They go hand in hand.

9 minutes ago, theshrinkingchef said:

Truth be told.... I may have gone a different direction if my insurance hadn’t pay. Just not sure. My issue also dealt with horrible acid reflux and it affected my quality of life. I ate high fat comforting foods because it kept the reflux at bay. Has I not had this issue, I may have been more of a success story.

The second time around.... I’m definitely not gonna take this for granted. I’m also going to focus on my health Holistically: mind, body and spirit. They go hand in hand.

Oh ya, I live with heartburn and acid reflux. Nexium and tums are my best friend. My sleep is awful - I am up twice a night throwing up liquid. I am 50, so add menopause in there and its a real treat! LOL. Thus the lap band will come out and at least I wont be up at night throwing up. I don't know what it is like to have a solid sleep through the night - I cant wait.

36 minutes ago, TrueNorth1 said:

One side of me says, just do it - you have read enough to know it will help you stay on a healthy lifestyle. And the other says, get a personal trainer and have him/her weigh you in 3 days/week to be accountable.

I don't have to make the decision today. I am grateful for site's like these that can assist in decision making. Back in 2009 there wasnt much support for the lap band.

Definitely. Nothing says you can’t do weight loss on your own. I’m sure we all know at LEAST one person who lost a ton of weight and so far kept it off, sans WLS. It’s not impossible by any means.

Also, nothing says you can’t change your mind and go the WLS route at a later time, either. There are many on here that had their surgeries in their 50’s (even 60’s and at least 1 - that I know of - in her 70’s). I am pushing 50 myself (though I often feel - and act - like i’m 17, lol).

You know yourself the best, and will undoubtedly make the right decision for yourself TODAY. And if you have to make another decision later, so be it.

P.S. Sorry to hear about the reflux. Waking up with a mouthful of acid is the WORST.

Edited by ms.sss

The best decision today is just that ... today

Yes, very true. Thank you Ms sss and Stella. Very true.

And the shrinking Chef - I agree - doing this revision, I will give it my all. 2020 is a such a bad year as it is....2021 will be amazing!

13 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Now, with WLS, I have been able to keep the 120lbs I lost off of me for SEVENTEEN MONTHS so far. Again, there is no mystery to this: I eat much less and I exercise every day. Yes, I am doing this myself, but the WLS gives me a HUGE boost (at least with the eating part...I actually have no idea why I stay active all this time, and actually like it, GASP!)

I'm going to tell you why I think you stay active, carrying the extra weight that we have for how ever many years that we did is tiring. It also I think causes some self confidence issues for some. I find it so much easier/ so less taxing to say hike 4 miles. Then when I did it pre-surgery, because I weigh 80+ pounds less, which is huge. I can actually bend and do things with my body which I had never been able to do before. Maybe it's like that for you too. I'm constantly amazed at how much I can do and not be as tired as the week before.

Maybe just pick one or two things to focus on each week to get going in the right direction? I know when I try to change everything all at once I get really discouraged.

A place to start could be focusing on Water intake. Remember right after surgery when we were told to sip sip sip water all day? It helps keep hunger at bay, and cuts out the extra calories we take in when drinking things other than water. I swear there is some truth to artificial sweeteners causing weight gain! I switched from my diet pop addiction to Crystal light, but realized for some reason constantly drinking something that tasted sweet, even though calorie free, was having negative effects on my progress.

Then maybe the following week you could focus on getting Protein at each meal and eating it first. Other ideas for weekly changes could be to journal food intake, packing a healthy lunch (even when working from home, it helps to have it in the fridge and waiting), and/or taking a quick 15 minute walk 3-4 times a week. The main thing is just focusing on one new thing at a time!

Good luck to you.. You got this!!

Doing one thing at a time is what worked for me too ! First it was packing a healthy lunch for work, and healthy Snacks. Then it was changing Breakfast into a "MUST EAT" to set me on a Protein and healthy day..... I made changes slowly. And pretty soon it becomes a routine.

Let me add my point of view. Surgery is not the solution it’s a tool. Those same issues you lacked self control over pre surgery will be there post surgery. You must be willing to put in the work to optimize your tool.

I’m close to 11 years post op. I went from 384 to 210 with my surgery. 6 years in I stalled and put in the work myself and went from 210 to 164.

How did I do it? I spent time in counseling. Learning how to love me. Resolving issues that caused a negative relationship with food. Every once in awhile they will pop up. But investing in healing has saved me. I didn’t need a cheerleader in the process. I needed someone to hold me accountable. I didn’t want sympathy for making the decision to eat crap. Call me out on my sh*t. I got rid of those who wanted me to fail and created a healthier circle of people who wanted me to succeed.

I recently put on 20 lbs. I didn’t get depressed. I earned every pound gained. I knew where I slacked. I let Coronavirus get me. I owned it and set a plan that didn’t include starving. Currently down 10. Clothes fitting again. Plan to be back at goal by Thanksgiving.

The decision to have surgery is extreme. And it’s going to take extreme responses to give you a reality check. The reality is you’re going to have to put in the work to lose the weight post op. And that requires being called out on behaviors that may have need brushed under previously. It’s hard but it’s needed.

Hit me up anytime on IG: @bariatricbutterfly. I work with women atleast 3 years post op experiencing weight gain and want to gain control on working their tool.

Thank you so much! That is exactly the response that I expected to hear. Real. Honest. True. Human.

I am doing it. My date is Nov. 19th. I am extremely excited but of course there is some fear. It is surgery after all.

I will definitely be contacting you!!

Many Thanks!

On 10/28/2020 at 7:12 AM, bariatricbutterfly said:

The reality is you’re going to have to put in the work to lose the weight post op.

Butterfly, your entire post is very true and inspirational. Another bariatric success story.

There is a great group on FB, 80/80/80. Gives great explanations for fighting regain specifically for sleevers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for the input on my post. I have made baby steps - getting in the habit of riding the exercise bike almost daily and watching snacking. Best thing is I made an appointment with a new bariatric team. So, progress! Stay well in this challenging time everyone 😊