Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss and Probiotics

I’m almost 2 months post op and after surgery I was losing weight but now on my normal diet and even following my doctors instructions I’ve gained 8 pounds in a week and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

I exercise 60 minutes a day and I’m eating what my doctor suggested. I don’t know if it’s stress because I am very much stressed out but I don’t feel the need to eat away my emotions anymore.

I'm just discouraged and wasn’t expecting to gain 8 pounds in a week.

I also was told I need to take a probiotic due to chronic Constipation now. I’ve tried 2 different types so far.

the first was a chewable but it tasted nasty and made me gag. I already take Calcium chewables and I can barely tolerate those but the calcium pills are too big for me and cutting them doesn’t help.

I then switched to ProCare with the 3 in 1 basically. But I’ve found it hard to take the capsules. Before my surgery I took 8 capsules a day of a medicine called Diamox but stopped after surgery so I don’t know if it’s just the thought of taking capsules that big again or what but I can’t and it sucks.

my question is: has anyone found any probiotic that works for you that is small like smaller or the same size of a Tylenol pill? And has anyone experienced rapid weight gain or what has helped you lose weight after surgery?

8 pounds is NOT fat. It is Water and stool, if you are constipated. You cannot gain 8 pounds of fat in 1 week. That would require at least 3500 extra calories a day, and you are not doing that. So don't get disheartened. Deal with the Constipation and drink lots of water. Try to get a full night's sleep every night. You will probably have a ginormous poop and loose a bunch of weight all a once. :)

6 hours ago, peachadee said:

I’m almost 2 months post op and after surgery I was losing weight but now on my normal diet and even following my doctors instructions I’ve gained 8 pounds in a week and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

I exercise 60 minutes a day and I’m eating what my doctor suggested. I don’t know if it’s stress because I am very much stressed out but I don’t feel the need to eat away my emotions anymore.

I'm just discouraged and wasn’t expecting to gain 8 pounds in a week.

I also was told I need to take a probiotic due to chronic constipation now. I’ve tried 2 different types so far.

the first was a chewable but it tasted nasty and made me gag. I already take Calcium chewables and I can barely tolerate those but the Calcium pills are too big for me and cutting them doesn’t help.

I then switched to ProCare with the 3 in 1 basically. But I’ve found it hard to take the capsules. Before my surgery I took 8 capsules a day of a medicine called Diamox but stopped after surgery so I don’t know if it’s just the thought of taking capsules that big again or what but I can’t and it sucks.

my question is: has anyone found any probiotic that works for you that is small like smaller or the same size of a Tylenol pill? And has anyone experienced rapid weight gain or what has helped you lose weight after surgery?

Welcome to Club Diamox ( joking I hate the stuff, even if it is necessary)

You could be retaining more fluids since you are off the diuretic so perhaps monitor your sodium & Fluid intake to see if it makes any difference.

Also Constipation can mimic gain (physical weight from foods ingested vs physical weight of waste not excreted) so whatever will relieve that issue would be helpful to see the scale move again.

When it comes to Probiotics the strain/species of bacteria maybe just as important as the delivery style.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/probiotics-may-ease-constipation-201408217377

https://www.bustle.com/p/the-3-best-probiotics-for-constipation-17940859

From my personal experience I fare better if my probiotics come from foods like yogurt (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, et al.) and especially kimchi (Bifidobacterium bifidum, et al.) vs the widely available gummies that were just Bacillus Coagulans

https://wildbrine.com/types-of-probiotics/

Also I believe it is very important to consult with your physician about which stains/species to take/avoid and safe amounts because some have been known to build resistance to certain antibiotics

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/kombucha-kimchi-and-yogurt-how-fermented-foods-could-be-harmful-to-your-health-126131

Good Luck ♥️

For the Constipation, you could try Smooth Move tea. Works like a charm for me. My nutritionist suggested having a cup of the tea morning and night. I have a cup most nights, and voila...BM next morning. I tried a probiotic for a month and it did exactly nothing for me.

Hope everything works out (literally) for you!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!! I’ve been in touch with my surgeon and nutritionist which these actually were a couple they recommended in the beginning!

I feel a bit better that it isn’t me per say and I’m not doing anything wrong to have the scale say I gained instead of losing.

I came back home after 5 days in the hospital for my duodenal switch revision. I weighed 23 lbs. more than when I left! I literally ate nothing during those 5 days. I had as little of the liquid diet components as possible. This weight was all IV fluids. I was on IV everyday for 5 days. I had IV infiltration due to a poor IV placement. I dropped 5 lbs. per day for 5 days.

Don't gauge progress day by day. It is best to track your weight and look at the month to month change. You may even stall for a full month, but overall, you'll progress fine if you follow your diet.