Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Period starting around surgery day

My surgery is scheduled for about three and a half weeks from now. My period just ended, and if my cycle goes as it typically does I will probably get my next period around the time of surgery. I’ve had major surgery before where the physical trauma stopped my period from coming for that month, and maybe that will happen if my period doesn’t start the day before or day of surgery. But what if it does start then? I tend to have heavy and painful periods, and I really don’t want to be menstruating while I’m going through surgery and the worst part of recovery. Has this happened to anyone? I want to prepare for coping with it during my hospital stay if I have to. But I’m also considering getting birth control pills just for a month to try and stop my period from arriving on surgery day.

I would either reschedule or try the pill route if that would work. Having just been through revision surgery this week it is very fresh in my mind and I would not want to deal with that situation myself on top of everything else!

My surgeon wouldn’t preform surgery if I was on hormonal birth control because it can increase the risk of clots. That being said, I started my period on VSG to RNY revision surgery day. They gave me hospital mesh underwear and a pad. Mine are super heavy if I’m not on birth control and causes menstrual related anemia so I did end up getting Iron through IV while in the hospital but any pain was covered by the pain medication I received.

I’m absolutely not rescheduling this surgery. I’ve been miserable on the pre-op diet and there’s no way I’m starting that over at some point after already going through a full week of it.

I should have clarified about the birth control: if I did this I would start it immediately and stop it a week in advance of surgery to avoid the clotting risk, and my hope would be that I could force my period to come again early. (I’ve done this before for other reasons.)

I’m not concerned about the medical team being unable to handle it. I’m more concerned about my own discomfort. I *really* can’t stand using pads and feeling all of that blood on my body. It’s a sensory thing. I use a menstrual cup, which I’m sure will not be allowed during surgery.

I got my period day of surgery. They have me a pad and mesh undies for the OR. I was able to use tampons on day 2. I’m sure you can handle a messy day. At least you’ll be in the hospital and on meds.

I was late, and started the day after my surgery. Honestly, I had so much nausea and back pain (which my surgeon thinks was a kidney stone), that I didn't even care about my period. Luckily it wasn't a bad one either. They were giving me Dilauded for pain and I was pretty out of it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

8 hours ago, SAS11 said:

I’m not concerned about the medical team being unable to handle it. I’m more concerned about my own discomfort. I *really* can’t stand using pads and feeling all of that blood on my body. It’s a sensory thing. I use a menstrual cup, which I’m sure will not be allowed during surgery.

Totally get it. I switched to tampons same day after surgery but I did miss my cup (wasn’t going to have my mom bring it to me so tampons it was).
Talk with your surgeon and see if a menstrual cup is okay with them for surgery day.

I worry about that too. I don't normally have a period because of birth control pills but obviously I was required to stop them right before the surgery and now I'm worried that it is going to start right when I have surgery. I don't want to deal with all that. I have terrible PMS which is why I take birth control in the first place. One more thing to worry about... sigh....

When I talked to the nurse about it she explained that it's common and it wouldn't be a problem if it happens and they deal with it. I just don't want to deal with it.

Got my period 2 days post op and it was honestly one of my easiest periods... too busy dealing with surgery recovery to notice! You'll be fine GOOD LUCK

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 10/8/2020 at 9:37 PM, SAS11 said:

My surgery is scheduled for about three and a half weeks from now. My period just ended, and if my cycle goes as it typically does I will probably get my next period around the time of surgery. I’ve had major surgery before where the physical trauma stopped my period from coming for that month, and maybe that will happen if my period doesn’t start the day before or day of surgery. But what if it does start then? I tend to have heavy and painful periods, and I really don’t want to be menstruating while I’m going through surgery and the worst part of recovery. Has this happened to anyone? I want to prepare for coping with it during my hospital stay if I have to. But I’m also considering getting birth control pills just for a month to try and stop my period from arriving on surgery day.

Hey i was on my period for surgery. Nobody cared they seen it before lol. The nurse did make me take of my panty and hygiene item and instead wear a mesh hospital panty into surgery. Post op i was given additional pairs. They dont want you falling asleep w tampon for 24 hours.

Lol this is funny so my period is usually on the 2nd or 3rd well not this month my period decided to wanted to be around for surgery I started 10/11 and had surgery 10/12 and I have terrible awful periods but this one was good,by that i mean it only lasted 4 days so I was good they just had me wear a pad that I brought and mesh panties but don't worry bout the period on surgery day I think you will be fine honestly good luck

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using BariatricPal mobile app