Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Soon Is Too Soon for Reset?

I had my surgery 8/19 and I was 315. The lowest I've gotten 281 (saw it one time so it counts haha) and I've been hovering in the low 280s ever since. My nutritionist allowed me to go to a regular diet (albeit smaller servings) at my one-month check-in. I'm just starting to feel like maybe they moved me too fast and I stretched my stomach perhaps. Would any of you suggest a reset? I'm feeling kind of lost and starting to feel like I wasted money,

Edited by nolo56788

Do you know how many calories you are eating? If you are not counting calories, how many meals a day and what volume? What foods are you eating?

How long since you've lost any weight?

What type of reset are you thinking about doing? Protein shakes/meal replacement shakes?

Sorry more questions than answers, but the answers will give contet and will help myself and/or others in their response to you.

do you think you might just be in a stall? They typically last 1-3 weeks. Otherwise, if it's been longer, I agree with the above poster that I'd start looking at what I've been eating.

Gonna answer rapid fire haha: I don’t count calories but I stick to that 1/2 cup serving size for whatever I eat (and I cook all my food 9.5/10) I limit carbs (only veggie substitutes). I do about 2-3 meals a day with no Snacks in between.

I would say it’s been about a month since I’ve seen weight loss because I haven’t breached the 270s since my month post.

Ive seen the resets where you mimic the post-op stages in a week but haven’t heard of the one of Protein Shakes. So any info on that would be great!

Thank you for responding too!

If you are eating low carb/low sugar/high Protein food, then I would put it down to the dreaded stall. My first stall lasted close to a month... when it was over - I started losing 4-5 lbs a week for three weeks, but then hit a stall again.. From what I understand, a lot of people have multiple stalls along the way.

But, I would suggest being more mindful of calories - they can add up, especially with things like cooking oils. Using cooking sprays can help alleviate that.

Try not to stress out about and trust the process.

1. Get rid of your scale, it will be your undoing;

2. Evaluate closely your food. A 1/2 cup Protein and carbs can mean mostly carbs or mostly protein. Protein should be the lions share. In my plan it's 3oz protein, 1oz veggies. Also, not all "proteins" are equal.

3. Activity. Are you moving around, walking, exercising? I didn't exercise, but I started walking more and more.

4. Get rid of the scale. They lie. And they have you wanting to abandon your plan for a 'quick fix'. Has that EVER worked for you in the past?

Good luck

Edited by The Greater Fool

8 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

Protein should be the lions share. In my plan it's 3oz protein, 1oz veggies. Also, not all "proteins" are equal.

Which protein source do you find to be best after surgery? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Lanie992 said:

If you are eating low carb/low sugar/high Protein food, then I would put it down to the dreaded stall. My first stall lasted close to a month... when it was over - I started losing 4-5 lbs a week for three weeks, but then hit a stall again.. From what I understand, a lot of people have multiple stalls along the way.

But, I would suggest being more mindful of calories - they can add up, especially with things like cooking oils. Using cooking sprays can help alleviate that.

Try not to stress out about and trust the process.

I haven't been using cooking sprays so I will definitely switch to that!

13 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

1. Get rid of your scale, it will be your undoing;

2. Evaluate closely your food. A 1/2 cup Protein and carbs can mean mostly carbs or mostly Protein. Protein should be the lions share. In my plan it's 3oz protein, 1oz veggies. Also, not all "proteins" are equal.

3. Activity. Are you moving around, walking, exercising? I didn't exercise, but I started walking more and more.

4. Get rid of the scale. They lie. And they have you wanting to abandon your plan for a 'quick fix'. Has that EVER worked for you in the past?

Good luck

Thank you for your response too! I thought after (what I thought was) my first stall it would come down more but I absolutely need to throw that scale to the back of my closet

Edited by nolo56788

13 minutes ago, Deb9386 said:

Which Protein source do you find to be best after surgery? Thanks!

Your plan is what you should follow. Plans are so different that something that was my 'go to' thing may not be allowed on your plan.

If you are eating food, then protein should be the primary ingredient. Some Doc/Nut's have preferences that are vast different than others.

My plan, protein meant 'meat.' If I went out to eat, it was always easy to find a dish with cooked meat, of which I could take a few bites (AFTER the 6 week puree post-op).

My plan never included Protein Drinks until I was binge running.

Good luck,

Tek

2 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

Your plan is what you should follow. Plans are so different that something that was my 'go to' thing may not be allowed on your plan.

If you are eating food, then Protein should be the primary ingredient. Some Doc/Nut's have preferences that are vast different than others.

My plan, protein meant 'meat.' If I went out to eat, it was always easy to find a dish with cooked meat, of which I could take a few bites (AFTER the 6 week puree post-op).

My plan never included Protein Drinks until I was binge running.

Good luck,

Tek

Ok thanks

I would think you were in a stall too. Some people say shaking up their calorie intake (increase or decrease slightly) &/or changing your activity (increase it or change what you do) will get you out of a stall. I just continued on my path & I would start to lose again.

How are you preparing your Proteins? Spray oil is so useful. Plus, invest in a non stick fry pan if you don’t have one. I ate all red meats, chicken, fish & prawns. All cooked in a little spray oil in a non stick pan. No deep frying. No crumbing (breading) or batters. No sauces (except sometimes a splash of soy sauce) just herbs & spices for any additional flavour. Or I would use tinned tomatoes or cook down fresh ones for a sort of sauce/gravy (counted as my fruit/vege serve). Just microwaved or steamed my veges unless I cooked them in with my meat (like in a savoury mince).

Good luck.

I too had a weight loss stall, it lasted about 10 days.
The nutritionist has me eating 5 “meals” a day. 1/4 to 1/3 cup. Must contain at least 15 grams Protein minimum per meal. If I am not eating meat, I add GENEPRO Protein Powder to my meal.
I could not survive only eating 3 times a day. This plan is working fine for me. I am just at the 3 month mark.