Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today marks 3 weeks post op Gastric Bypass for me, I’m currently down 50 lbs from my starting weight and 20 lbs from surgery weight. I was cleared for food 10 days out of surgery but haven’t seemed to be able to keep anything down and that’s kept me from eating. Given I haven’t been the best with Protein intake but all I can seem to do is sleep all day because my body simply doesn’t have the energy to be up. If anyone has any suggestions that would help I’d greatly appreciate it.

Welcome to the forums.

You had a surgery 3 weeks ago that you are still in the early stages of healing from. While your body is trying to heal, you are effectively starving it. Give yourself a chance.

Work harder at your Protein. Do your best. Be patient.

Energy will happen when you heal more and get used to your new low intake.

Good Luck,

Tek

1 hour ago, DolidaV said:

Today marks 3 weeks post op Gastric Bypass for me, I’m currently down 50 lbs from my starting weight and 20 lbs from surgery weight. I was cleared for food 10 days out of surgery but haven’t seemed to be able to keep anything down and that’s kept me from eating. Given I haven’t been the best with Protein intake but all I can seem to do is sleep all day because my body simply doesn’t have the energy to be up. If anyone has any suggestions that would help I’d greatly appreciate it.

Congratulations and welcome to the other side! The low energy will pass. Give your body time to heal and getting used to you not eating as much and you will feel better. I was the same way 3 weeks out taking naps in the afternoon as I felt exhausted. Getting your Protein is key. I’m about 6 weeks out and I’m feeling great with a lot of energy. Good luck on your journey!

Congratulations! Welcome to the club. I agree with everyone above, work on your Protein intake. I personally take B12 (liquid form) which is supposed to help with energy. But personally, I feel more energetic after exercising and showering. Since you are still recovering, try just going on a morning walk right after waking up.

I had little to no pain after surgery, but fatigue lasted for a few months. I went from 2 naps a day, to 1 nap per day, then finally around month 3 or 4 I had full energy again. Take it easy and nap when you can!

Get yourself a step tracker and start walking. The tracker is a very motivating little friend, and I'll bet once you start getting some consistent walking in, you are going to feel better. You are still in the healing stage, no doubt, but there is no reason not to be walking daily. Again, the tracker is very motivating and really helps. I did not get an expensive FitBit - I think mine cost about $24, but worth every penny. My doc wants all his patients to get 10,000 steps a day. I was able to reach that goal by the end of week one. Then every single day, I made sure to get those steps in, and if I was close at the end of the day, I would march around my living room until I got them all in. :) Like I said, it is a very motivating friend. The exercise is very empowering and a great emotional lifter.

Get yourself a step tracker and start walking. The tracker is a very motivating little friend, and I'll bet once you start getting some consistent walking in, you are going to feel better. You are still in the healing stage, no doubt, but there is no reason not to be walking daily. Again, the tracker is very motivating and really helps. I did not get an expensive FitBit - I think mine cost about $24, but worth every penny. My doc wants all his patients to get 10,000 steps a day. I was able to reach that goal by the end of week one. Then every single day, I made sure to get those steps in, and if I was close at the end of the day, I would march around my living room until I got them all in. [emoji4] Like I said, it is a very motivating friend. The exercise is very empowering and a great emotional lifter.

"My doc wants all his patients to get 10,000 steps every day."

Yikes AZ Hiker! Your doc is my doc, and pre-op, I'm not getting close to that! I usually between 3500-4000 steps per day on my walk which is around 40 minutes long. How did you handle that this summer when it was so hot? It's cooler now thank God, but still warm. Also, I'm so thirsty after my walk that I have to chug at least 8 oz of Water when I get home, and then finish off my 20 oz bottle while I'm cooling down. I won't be able to chug like that postop.

Sent from my SM-T710 using BariatricPal mobile app

I’ve been experiencing constant throwing up and gagging even though I have nothing in my stomach for 2-3 days now and I’m not sure if that’s normal or if I should take a visit to the ER I seem to be getting worse as the days go on, instead of progressively better.

10 minutes ago, DolidaV said:

I’ve been experiencing constant throwing up and gagging even though I have nothing in my stomach for 2-3 days now and I’m not sure if that’s normal or if I should take a visit to the ER I seem to be getting worse as the days go on, instead of progressively better.

That does not sound like anything normal at all and I would recommend going to urgent care at the very least, if not the actual ER. If you have a way of contacting your bariatric team on the weekend, you should most definitely do that. They may likely tell you to go to the ER, but getting their guidance would be a good first step. Hope that you feel better and can get some answers today!

11 hours ago, Neller said:

"My doc wants all his patients to get 10,000 steps every day."

Yikes AZ Hiker! Your doc is my doc, and pre-op, I'm not getting close to that! I usually between 3500-4000 steps per day on my walk which is around 40 minutes long. How did you handle that this summer when it was so hot? It's cooler now thank God, but still warm. Also, I'm so thirsty after my walk that I have to chug at least 8 oz of Water when I get home, and then finish off my 20 oz bottle while I'm cooling down. I won't be able to chug like that postop.

Early on, when I was back to work, I would walk around an empty unit after my shift. I parked as far away as I could when I went to work or went shopping. I just made it work. As you lose weight, you will be able to go faster, so it wont take as long. Once I started training on my bike and swimming, I had to cut back a bit on the steps because there simply wasn't enough time, But the whole point is to get active, so it doesn't really matter if it is an hour walking, 2 hours on the bike, or 30 minutes swimming. And at the same time, I am taking care of my livestock and tending to the garden. I also used my elliptical machine during the summer. My resting pulse rate is in the 40's now, first thing in the morning, so I know I am in great shape cardio-vascular wise. Woo hoo!!! :) Summer is hard, no doubt, but I get up really early and just go for it. Of course, the snakes are out early, too, so a good flashlight is a must.

I started having a hip issue with all the walking. Now it is bothering me when I ride my bike, as well. I think it is an old bursitis thing flaring up, so I probably need to go get an injection. It's a bummer, because it really is starting to limit my hiking and biking time. :(

Edited by AZhiker

Early on, when I was back to work, I would walk around an empty unit after my shift. I parked as far away as I could when I went to work or went shopping. I just made it work. As you lose weight, you will be able to go faster, so it wont take as long. Once I started training on my bike and swimming, I had to cut back a bit on the steps because there simply wasn't enough time, But the whole point is to get active, so it doesn't really matter if it is an hour walking, 2 hours on the bike, or 30 minutes swimming. And at the same time, I am taking care of my livestock and tending to the garden. I also used my elliptical machine during the summer. My resting pulse rate is in the 40's now, first thing in the morning, so I know I am in great shape cardio-vascular wise. Woo hoo!!! Summer is hard, no doubt, but I get up really early and just go for it. Of course, the snakes are out early, too, so a good flashlight is a must.
I started having a hip issue with all the walking. Now it is bothering me when I ride my bike, as well. I think it is an old bursitis thing flaring up, so I probably need to go get an injection. It's a bummer, because it really is starting to limit my hiking and biking time.
Well, today I made it my mission to walk 2 miles and I got that done. As soon as I got home I got a call that help was needed to pass out campaign materials, so I went back out, and the combination has me over 9000 steps, and I'll get 10,000 by tonight, if it kills me. And it just might...

Update I went to the ER yesterday around mid day was told I was simply dehydrated and my liver enzymes were a bit elevated but that was normal due to surgery. Was sent home with 2 nausea medications have vomited more today than I have in the past 3 days. I’m not really sure what to do at this point.

Update I went to the ER yesterday around mid day was told I was simply dehydrated and my liver enzymes were a bit elevated but that was normal due to surgery. Was sent home with 2 nausea medications have vomited more today than I have in the past 3 days. I’m not really sure what to do at this point.

Call your surgeon in the morning.

On 10/11/2020 at 1:14 PM, DolidaV said:

Make sure you call your surgeon. You can usually talk to your bariatric nurse for ideas as well. Did they not give you an IV while there? You can have your surgeon set up an outpatient IV to get you hydrated again. Dehydration can cause vomiting.

Anyone have suggestions with dealing with dehydration, I’m attempting to get in as much Fluid intake as I can but I think max I get is around 16oz on a good day simply because my body does not keep anything down, I have tried walking more and that seems to help a bit.