Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I've gotten insurance approval for my sleeve (no date yet) and have my endoscopy next week. I'm terrified!! I decided to have the surgery to help control my PCOS, diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol. I think I feel a mix of normal fear but also embarrassment, I'm definitely obese (5'4, 206 lbs) but because I'm not morbidly obese some people that I've mistakenly told say that I should just 'cut out soda', or am taking the easy way out and I'm not. I have struggled with my weight for over a decade and my health is getting increasingly worse. I'm 42 and want to take control of my health and life before it further deteriorates. I guess I am just venting...

Welcome to the forums.

When you get scared, review why you are doing this. You made your decision for (presumably) very good reasons. You weighed the upsides against possible downsides, and decided to soldier forth into your future.

If you focus on the worst aspect of this whole process, the actual surgery, its no wonder you are scared.

Instead, think beyond it. Visualize your success. What you intend to do with your new found healthy lifestyle.

Good luck, enjoy the ride.

Tek

Anyone who says that this is the "easy way out" hasn't looked into it at all. It's a common misconception, though, so I understand totally. Maybe just don't tell folks that don't really need to know. Or say you're going to be starting a strict, doctor-supervised weight loss plan (this isn't a lie...)

I will be having my sleeve on November 2. Hang in there, and remember, you're not alone. :)

4 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

Welcome to the forums.

When you get scared, review why you are doing this. You made your decision for (presumably) very good reasons. You weighed the upsides against possible downsides, and decided to soldier forth into your future.

If you focus on the worst aspect of this whole process, the actual surgery, its no wonder you are scared.

Instead, think beyond it. Visualize your success. What you intend to do with your new found healthy lifestyle.

Good luck, enjoy the ride.

Tek

Thanks, I'm not really scared about the surgery - I've just gone through a lot of life changes this year, separation, move, etc. I'm not used to doing things for myself but I know I'll be ok and I'm SO READY for my new healthier life. I do appreciate your suggestion - I need to think beyond the surgery and stop with the what if's.

Edited by VickieRenee

2 minutes ago, GivinItMyALL said:

Anyone who says that this is the "easy way out" hasn't looked into it at all. It's a common misconception, though, so I understand totally. Maybe just don't tell folks that don't really need to know. Or say you're going to be starting a strict, doctor-supervised weight loss plan (this isn't a lie...)

I will be having my sleeve on November 2. Hang in there, and remember, you're not alone. :)

Thank you!

Hi all,
I've gotten insurance approval for my sleeve (no date yet) and have my endoscopy next week. I'm terrified!! I decided to have the surgery to help control my PCOS, diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol. I think I feel a mix of normal fear but also embarrassment, I'm definitely obese (5'4, 206 lbs) but because I'm not morbidly obese some people that I've mistakenly told say that I should just 'cut out soda', or am taking the easy way out and I'm not. I have struggled with my weight for over a decade and my health is getting increasingly worse. I'm 42 and want to take control of my health and life before it further deteriorates. I guess I am just venting...

I was very scared too. Everyone kept telling me how hard the first couple of weeks were going to be after surgery but I have found the entire process to be actually pretty easy and rewarding.

1 minute ago, mandiland said:

I was very scared too. Everyone kept telling me how hard the first couple of weeks were going to be after surgery but I have found the entire process to be actually pretty easy and rewarding.

That is really great to hear thank you for sharing. I got my surgery date today - November 2nd! :)