Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting rid of old/large clothes - too soon?

I'll chime in and say get rid of them! I live in a hundred year old house with miniscule closets....so I have never really kept things piled up do to lack of room. I donated all my professional clothes and some formal wear to Dress for Success, and the rest to Goodwill. I have been aggressively shopping on line for a few key pieces at deep discounts to get through these stages...Thank goodness everything is on Zoom and I don't need to buy full suits. I have been pleasantly surprised by some great bargains on Evan Picone and Liz Clairborne at JC Penney on-line; I have gotten a couple of fully lined blazers for less than $30.00 each. I've bought some leggings and stretch jeans with some cute but inexpensive sweaters for casual. I'll invest in good clothes again when I stop losing weight, which I am hoping is a ways from now! Right now black leggings, black or white tank and a blazer or cardigan are my work uniform!

Get rid of them. During my weight loss, I donated everything that no longer fit and bought a few second-hand items just so I had something that fit until I lost more.

One word of warning: I bought lots of new clothes when I reached my lowest weight of 132. Then I had a 10-pound gain during maintenance before settling in at 142. I would recommend waiting until you have been on maintenance for a while before splurging on a whole new wardrobe.

12 hours ago, LAJ23 said:

I'm 7 weeks post-op and am down almost 50lb. All of my clothes are too big (literally, from underwear & PJs to jeans & sweaters - nothing fits) and I've been buying things here & there so that I have stuff to wear to work, etc. My question is, what do I do with my TONS of old clothes that no longer fit? I don't have room to store them somewhere "just in case", and I almost feel bad about donating them or tossing them, because I still have that little devil in the back of my head saying "You never know! You might fail & be a fatty again!" I have a packed armoire, dresser & closet so I need to get rid of stuff to make room for new things. I don't have an extra square inch of space for storage, so I'm wondering if it's "safe" to get rid of these clothes, or should I wait. How long did you all wait before you finally got rid of your big clothes?

Is it possible to donate them to the Bariatric program you went through? Someone in a different stage of their journey maybe able to use them.

I tailored & donated clothes as soon as I couldn't fit them anymore. It was a liberating experience.

I'm about 2 1/2 months out and down 45 lbs.... I literally just went through my drawers last night and bagged up all of my big clothes. My T-Shirts are dresses now and my pants are practically falling down. I have been holding on to these bigger sizes for a few weeks now and finally told myself last night why the heck am I holding onto these. I haven't gone through my closet yet but dang I didn't realize how many clothes I had. I am choosing to give them away because I don't want to ever look back and be in size 1X-2X ever again. I am thankful I saved some smaller size clothing from years ago that I am able to go back to now and wear for a few months before I have to start buying smaller sizes (yay)!

I will be 2 years out at the end of this month and I just got rid of pretty much all my big clothes just a little over a month ago (total 9 garbage bags of clothes & almost 2 laundry baskets of shoes). Not because I was keeping them "just in case", but because I am a lazy procrastinator and was pretty much forced to do it because I had my closet re-done, lol (Though I did keep a few too-big pj pants and sweatshirts cuz sometimes I wanna be cozy!...like I'm walking around in a blanket or something...😂)

With that said, maybe getting rid of your big clothes (selling/donating/whatevs) could put you in a slightly better mindset of the new you, and subconsciously accept that you have no intention of going back.

...plus you get to buy new clothes!

24 minutes ago, Tricia71769 said:

So when you loose weight do your shoes no longer fit?

Yeah, for me (and for some others I've read on here as well).

I went from a size 7.5-8 to a size 6-6.5 (US).

...I also lost some height, a little over 1/2 an inch, which is weird (though I've read of others who got taller...)

Edited by ms.sss

10 minutes ago, Tricia71769 said:

I’m new to this journey and have my consultation on Monday for weight loss surgery.

oooohhh...am excited for you! Keep us posted!

Yeah, for me (and for some others I've read on here as well).
I went from a size 7.5-8 to a size 6-6.5 (US).
...I also lost some height, a little over 1/2 an inch, which is weird (though I've read of others who got taller...)
When I my smallest (153) I wore 8.5 W. After I got up in the 200s and beyond I went to a 9 or 10W. My feet have always been wide even as a normal weight kid, so I know that won't go away, but it would be great to wear 8.5 again!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

I went from a 38.5/39 down to a 38. Just enough for the shoes to be that bit too loose. But I can wear some of my treasured ones again. So yippee! And who needs an excuse to have to buy new shoes - not me. 😁

I am keeping some of my too big clothes, not because I might need them, but because I really don't want to spend a fortune on "in between" clothes. So, since I'm working from home and all anyone sees is me on video, if I can pin it or make it look good on video, I'm keeping it.

I had several sizes of clothes and I've made several donations so far (multiple garbage bags, and the last of my older clothes are really at the point they just don't look right, even on video with only shoulders up, pinned, etc... so I will do another round of donations.

Once I'm at goal I plan to do a full purge and buy replacements that actually fit :)

I get rid of everything that doesn't fit and it is amazing for my mindset! I usually buy a couple pairs of leggings and jeans for the size I'm in. Once I can start pulling them off without unbuttoning, I get rid of and size down.