Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

regaining and undoing their surgery

Has anyone undone their surgery by regaining ?

I am really scared of this happening . I am having a gastric bypass done at the end of Oct and I am self funding.

I heard once u stretch your stomach by overeating, it wont shrink back. This would be the worst case scenario, undoing the hassle of surgery and wasting all that money.

Thoughts?

yes - people have gained all their weight back. You have to be really committed to doing this and stick to your program. You can "out eat" any surgery.

There are ways to eat around every surgery. If you want to, or feel compelled to, it can be done.

I was afraid I might try to do this and chose my surgery accordingly. For me, it took amazingly few bouts of dumping and few episodes of eating wrong to change my habits. I don't know why I learned my lessons when others didn't.

I guess I was lucky.

Choose carefully. Act wisely. Then hope you don't persist in trying to do it wrong.

Good luck

Tek

The gastric bypass will bring other digestive advantages other than just having a smaller stomach. Also, a pouch reset may restore restrictions of your smaller stomach. I had a gastric sleeve. At first, it was restrictive. Later I was able to eat larger meals. When I did a liquid diet years later, the pouch reset itself. I felt full after very small meals again.

I am also SUPER afraid of this happening. Getting back into old habits, cravings, overeating, etc. So far, so good, but only about 3 months post op.

10 minutes ago, California Guy said:

The gastric bypass will bring other digestive advantages other than just having a smaller stomach. Also, a pouch reset may restore restrictions of your smaller stomach. I had a gastric sleeve. At first, it was restrictive. Later I was able to eat larger meals. When I did a liquid diet years later, the pouch reset itself. I felt full after very small meals again.

Yes you may be able to reset a sleeve but I dont believe you can do that with a Bypass. I had revision and I still dont feel too much.. I started weighing my food again .

I will add that my surgeon said that stretching the pouch after bypass is nearly impossible to do. You can, however, eat significantly more over time than you can during the first year, and as others have said, you can eat quite a bit of the wrong things once you are in maintenance. The surgery is a tool to lose weight, but it's a matter of discipline to shift to a healthy lifestyle and keep the weight off.

12 hours ago, Recidivist said:

you can eat quite a bit of the wrong things once you are in maintenance.

You can always eat quite a bit of the wrong things, lol. However, what one regards as "the wrong things"... that varies a lot.

Yes you can absolutely gain the weight back. I had my gastric bypass surgery done october of 2012. I did well for about four years, lost my job, went through a major depression and just didn’t care any more. I stopped doing everything I was supposed to do and turned back to food by overeating, drinking with my meals, eating whatever I wanted and just absolutely not following the plan. I started at 366, lost down to 200, and am currently back to 320. I am going in to have my stomach resized because I stretched my pouch and I am having my stoma tightened because I stretched it out as well. Stretching the stoma means that my food does not stay in my stomach pouch at all and I am constantly hungry. Stretching my pouch out means I could eat a lot more food than I could when I first had surgery. Both of those things together plus my disregard for the rules lead to the weight re gain. If I can tell anyone anything it’s to not get complacent. Don’t think that your surgery can’t fail because it completely can. You have to work the process every single day and stay on track. The surgery is just a tool.
I pray with my revision I can lose some of the weight and hopefully not mess it up this time. It’s super disheartening to go through everything and have it fail only years later.