Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9/16 Surgery.....Struggling with some issues

Overall things aren't going to bad. I have started to eat some pureed foods (can't stand baby foods), so I make most of them or just eat yogurt. I can't get used to the change in the flavor of foods. It's hard to know what to eat when the taste of food has changed and I have to find the right seasoning for what I can eat. I also am having some trouble finding food that I can make smooth enough to not upset my stomach and I feel so bloated after eating. I wait the 15 minutes before I drink after I finish eating, but when I start to drink is when I feel bloated and I want to eat again. What have/did you eat during your first couple weeks after surgery? Please NO Protein shakes....those are not sitting very well with my stomach and I'm tired of the taste. After I eat, it feels like I want more, but I know that my "pouch" isn't big enough to hold anymore.

Next I am having trouble sleeping. I have started taking a sleeping pill, but that only takes me through about 4 hours of sleep and then I can't seem to get back to sleep. I always had trouble getting a full night sleep, but this is still a issue if not a bigger one. I can't get myself on a good schedule for my eating and drinking because of my sleep. I will be talking to my doctor today about my RLS since it seems worse or the meds aren't helping it anymore. I'm hoping the pain doctor can put me on a patch to relive my pain and RLS symptoms.

I believe that I have my meds on a schedule. I used to take a insulin shot before every meal and bedtime. I now have been able to get off of them and only take a long acting insulin shot before bed about 2-3 times a week.

I am pleased so far with my weight loss of 27 lbs since before surgery, but 43 with my overall journey. Right now I don't seem to be losing, but I'm sure it has to do with adding more solid food to my diet.

I guess after all this long post, I am looking for some food tips, sleep tips, schedule tips and overall just knowing that I'm not alone in what I am feeling. So far...No throw ups or dumping....YEAH!!

It is much easier to get Protein when you can eat purées. Puréed foods can hide the flavor of Protein Powder much better than Protein Drinks. Here are some of my favorites:

• Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder (I like vanilla yogurt with chocolate flavored protein powder and powdered peanut butter).
  • sugar-free pudding mixed with protein powder
  • pureed refried Beans mixed with unflavored protein powder (I like to top the beans with enchilada sauce, Laughing Cow cheese, and Flavor God nacho cheese powder)
  • Applesauce mixed with unflavored protein powder and a tiny splash of sugar-free caramel Syrup
  • Protein oatmeal mixed with cinnamon roll protein powder
  • Pureed black bean Soup mixed with unflavored protein powder

You might also want to browse the BariatricPal Store because they have a lot of protein-fortified foods like Soups, oatmeal, pudding, etc. that you can try. One of my personal favorites is protein hot cocoa. It tastes like normal hot cocoa (no yucky protein taste) and if you mix it with Fairlife milk instead of Water, it’s a lot of protein.

with puree stage, I did ricotta bakes -- i made them in 1/4 cup size and would be lucky to get 1 down. If I did, my brain would be like "ANOTHA ONE!" and by the time i would fix a second, I would feel full. It sounds more like a mental thing with your wanting more than a physical. Give yourself time to adjust to your new body and your new mindset. Try to eat slower if you find yourself wanting more.

I also had refried Beans, apple sauce with cinnamon, puree egg salad (eggs, a bit of dijon mustard and a bit of mayo or greek yogurt). Pinterest was a life saver for me w/recipes.. greek yogurt w/flavored Protein Powder, Jello Protein shots..

Both of you have great ideas and I will try both of them. I just discovered a recipe site for the different stages of recovery after WLS and will be trying a few of those recipes also.

https://bariatricdiet.upmc.com/

On 10/5/2020 at 3:31 AM, OnMyWay1956 said:

Overall things aren't going to bad. I have started to eat some pureed foods (can't stand baby foods), so I make most of them or just eat yogurt. I can't get used to the change in the flavor of foods. It's hard to know what to eat when the taste of food has changed and I have to find the right seasoning for what I can eat. I also am having some trouble finding food that I can make smooth enough to not upset my stomach and I feel so bloated after eating. I wait the 15 minutes before I drink after I finish eating, but when I start to drink is when I feel bloated and I want to eat again. What have/did you eat during your first couple weeks after surgery? Please NO Protein shakes....those are not sitting very well with my stomach and I'm tired of the taste. After I eat, it feels like I want more, but I know that my "pouch" isn't big enough to hold anymore.

Next I am having trouble sleeping. I have started taking a sleeping pill, but that only takes me through about 4 hours of sleep and then I can't seem to get back to sleep. I always had trouble getting a full night sleep, but this is still a issue if not a bigger one. I can't get myself on a good schedule for my eating and drinking because of my sleep. I will be talking to my doctor today about my RLS since it seems worse or the meds aren't helping it anymore. I'm hoping the pain doctor can put me on a patch to relive my pain and RLS symptoms.

I believe that I have my meds on a schedule. I used to take a insulin shot before every meal and bedtime. I now have been able to get off of them and only take a long acting insulin shot before bed about 2-3 times a week.

I am pleased so far with my weight loss of 27 lbs since before surgery, but 43 with my overall journey. Right now I don't seem to be losing, but I'm sure it has to do with adding more solid food to my diet.

I guess after all this long post, I am looking for some food tips, sleep tips, schedule tips and overall just knowing that I'm not alone in what I am feeling. So far...No throw ups or dumping....YEAH!!

Sounds like you are making good progress 🎉. Congrats on less medicine and weight lost. For those weeks i found alot of stuff could actually be pureed. Egg salad chicken salad. My significant other Also pureed chicken with alfredo sauce. I think just pretty much can be creamerized in the nutribullet or magic bullet lol. I also was allowed to eat egg whites in that phase and did with some laughing cow cheese spread on top. I wasnt in pureed long enough to really get an arsenal of recipes. Oh also i want to mention i set my phone timer for thirty minutes after i eat or drink.

I’d try drinking 30min after eating instead of 15min and see if that helps with feeling bloated.