Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't currently own a scale (body, not food. I do have a food scale). Would you really advise getting one, or do you think I can get by (at least until I'm closer to goal/maintenance) without, and just get weighed at follow up appointments?

I used mine all the time - although there are some here who would tell you to just get weighed at appts. I think I'd go crazy waiting that long because I'd want to know - but that's an individual thing.

Honestly, if you feel like you'll drive yourself crazy weighing every day and if you hit a stall stress yourself out, then definitely avoid buying one. I kind of wish sometimes that I hadn't bought one because when I hit a stall I stress the hell out about it despite the fact that my doctor told me stress can actually prolong a stall... so if you think you'll be like me in that respect just go without.

I'm in the no scale, weigh at follow-ups school, not that I had any choice in the matter.

Which way will you be happier and/or less crazy? Will the scale not changing for week(s) at a time cause you to reconsider what you are doing? Will you want to do something to "break the stall"?

Whatever helps you stay on plan is what you should do. Doesn't matter what we think, only what you think.

Good luck,

Tek

I’m a pro scale person. I still weigh myself almost if not every day & record my weight most times. I found it kept me & does keep me motivated. But in saying that, it’s not always about the number on the scale. You have to know when to leave it for a couple of days or when to ignore the number (like when stalling, constipated or natural body fluctuations). If you’re someone who won’t be able to leave it or will get anxious about fluctuations, scales may not be for you during the weight loss phase.

I can not imagine doing this without a scale. I weigh myself every morning. In the beginning, I weighed myself multiple times a day -- which was a bit insane.. I personally suggest getting a scale - they are inexpensive enough.

I am also pro-scale, and like Arabesque, I find it motivates me. I recently purchased a smart scale, and I wish I had it from day one so I could see the changes in my body fat/body composition. I am currently in a stall, but I only weigh myself once a day, in the morning, and only do the body fat thing a couple of times per week. It really depends on you. Will you overthink the numbers, or feel motivated by the numbers? Only you can make that distinction. If you have one and it is making you crazy, put it away. Pre-op, I made my husband hide it from me😂

Good luck to you!

I say get a scale. I couldn’t imagine not having one. I still weigh every morning before I get in the shower. During the weight loss phase I weighed daily but only recorded it once a week on Sunday. I use My Fitness Pal. That way I could see that I always had a loss and never had a stall.

Thanks, everyone who responded so far. I'm still on the fence about the scale. I kinda like Lynnlovesthebeach's approach of weighing daily, but only recording once a week. This is somewhat similar to what I did the last time I attempted to lose weight (2015-16), except I only weighed once a week, at a friend's house, so it was the same scale each time.

Maybe I'll ask for a scale for my birthday, which is shortly before my surgery date.

Get the Renpho scale from Amazon. It's awesome! Best of luck to you!!

Get the Renpho scale from Amazon. It's awesome! Best of luck to you!!

I broke down and got this scale. It being less than 20 bucks with the coupon they had on there really helped! Thanks for the suggestion!

I think everyone is different. I have a scale and I weigh daily, and for me this will be something I'll always do to stay on track. Some people can get upset with daily fluctuations, but I do OK with that. I just like to see that my weight is consistently going down.
I find that when I weigh every day, it motivates me.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am a scale wh*re..... I weigh myself every day and have pretty much since my Band sx in 2009. I am a person that the scale keeps me in check. 2-3lbs i can handle... but once i hit the 5lbs gain i find its hard for me to get the scale to go back.... so when i see it go up... i look at what i did that week and adjust my eating habits. I feel the scale helped me only gain 30lbs after my band removal.

If you can not stress over weight loss stalls..... a scale is a great way to keep you in check. I have been sitting at 120-122 for months.... I reached my year sleeve 8/28/2019

19 hours ago, GivinItMyALL said:

I don't currently own a scale (body, not food. I do have a food scale). Would you really advise getting one, or do you think I can get by (at least until I'm closer to goal/maintenance) without, and just get weighed at follow up appointments?

It's completely up to you unless your team wants you to weigh in at home.

I personally didn't own a scale until about 2 yrs after WLS (I'm only 2.9 yrs post WLS) because I wanted to focus on other things. I would only weigh at doctor visits.

But in maintenance it helps me to stay accountable.