Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged about protein intake

I’m only 2.5 weeks out. Will it get easier to get my Protein? I cannot do it right now, I just can’t. The Protein Shakes are all disgusting to me now, I can’t drink enough broth, I tried unflavored Protein Powder in broth and that was disgusting, I tried Vital Proteins Water and it was absolutely foul. Help?

It definitely does get easier as your progress through the diet phases and have more options available for Protein. That said, it ultimately depends on your doctor's diet program and what those protein goals are. For my program, it simply is not possible for me to achieve my protein goals without Protein Shakes. Technically I could hit it with Protein Bars, but that would be heavier on carbs and calories.

Have you looked into Fairlife High Quality Protein? It IS a shake, but almost across the board people say it tastes nothing like the protein shakes everyone is used to. It really tastes more like chocolate milk (unsure of the vanilla version).

Beyond that, Fairlife also makes an Ultra Filtered Milk that has a higher protein content than normal milks do. It might not get you quite to your goal, but it could help. You'd want to stick to the 2% or lower in terms of fat in order to keep the fat and caloric intake reasonable, but it's an option and I have never been able to tell the difference between Fairlife and regular milk.

At 2.5 weeks, you're no doubt on the cusp of moving into purees, which will most definitely give you access to other ways to get more protein in.

You're doing great already and you will continue to do so!

3 hours ago, sbmcg said:

I’m only 2.5 weeks out. Will it get easier to get my Protein? I cannot do it right now, I just can’t. The Protein Shakes are all disgusting to me now, I can’t drink enough broth, I tried unflavored Protein Powder in broth and that was disgusting, I tried Vital Proteins Water and it was absolutely foul. Help?

It gets better in time.

Tryunflavored Protein in sugar free pudding or low sugar greek yogurt🏆

I can't stand the milky Protein Shakes, but I did find something that's called whey Protein isolate drinks - and they taste more like fruit juice, with none of the milky taste or texture. That's in Ireland. Not sure if it's available in the US.

Fairlife is the way to go if you don't like the other brands. Their shakes or their milk are both great. If I have days where I am a little low in Protein I just drink a glass of milk with a little sugar free Hershey's chocolate and sometimes add a little PB2 powder...instant 13 grams of protein and tastes great. Fairlife makes 2 different shakes...one is called "Nutrition Plan" and the other is called "Core Power." I find core power to be a little too sweet (can dilute it with milk) but love the nutrition plan vanilla or chocolate. Actually, I'm having a vanilla right now!

Are you allowed to eat purées yet? It is much easier to get Protein when you can eat purées. Puréed foods can hide the flavor of protein powder much better than Protein Drinks. Here are some great options:

• Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder (I like vanilla yogurt with chocolate flavored protein powder and powdered peanut butter).
  • sugar-free pudding mixed with protein powder
  • pureed retried Beans mixed with unflavored protein powder (I like to top the beans with enchilada sauce, Laughing Cow cheese, and Flavor God nacho cheese powder)
  • Applesauce mixed with unflavored protein powder and a tiny splash of sugar-free caramel Syrup
  • Protein oatmeal mixed with cinnamon roll protein powder
  • Pureed black bean Soup mixed with unflavored protein powder

You might also want to browse the BariatricPal Store because they have a lot of protein-fortified foods like Soups, oatmeal, pudding, etc. that you can try, one of my personal favorites is protein hot cocoa. It tastes like normal hot cocoa (no yucky protein taste) and if you mix it with Fairlife milk instead of Water, it’s a lot of protein. You can also try Syntrax Nectar protein powder. It’s a little different from Protein Shakes and there are a lot of flavors, so you might find something you like.

The same thing is happening to me. I had surgery on Monday October 26th. I am 6 days post op, and I am lactose intolerant prior to surgery, so I'm having an extremely difficult time getting any Protein in since I'm on full liquid diet. I see my surgeon on Tuesday, election day so hoping to get some more insight to when I can move to pureed foods.

Try this, its Water based and tastes ok. I can't drink shakes either and it didn't make me throw up and isn't bad tasting, its the first one that isn't giving me a chemical taste. I will tell you I haven't finished it but I'm working on it. I bought this at Walgreens JPEG_20201101_075632_9001202825772682400.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I recommend fairlife core power or muscle milk. They’re the only two I can tolerate

Have you tried your unflavored Protein in whatever you like to drink normally? I use Unjury unflavored protein powder that way. I take 2 tablespoons and shake it up with a little Water (I just use a small tupperware for it), then I add it to my 30oz glass of whatever I'm drinking: orange crystal light, orange crush powder, sunkist lemon lime powder, grape kool aid Water Enhancer drops, etc.

I never taste the protein powder this way at all. No chalk, no chunk, nothing icky. And I get 26 grams of protein per drink this way.

On 10/1/2020 at 5:18 PM, sbmcg said:

I’m the same way. Surgery Oct 19th.

On 10/1/2020 at 5:18 PM, sbmcg said:

I’m the same way, surgery Oct 19th. The shakes are disgusting now, and the Protein powders are too. I got a case of the blue colored protein Water and gagged. Ugh. QI’m trying to eat some of the foods that they said we could a t this time, like cottage cheese, soft cheeses, egg beaters, tuna, chicken, etc.., but it’s so hard. Agree, you can only drink so much broth.

Edited by Jscales11
It posted incorrectly

I can tell you what my Dr told me at that phase I had the same trouble, he said not to worry about that, to get the protien shakes in that I can even comfortably. If its just a half or 1 no prob! but don't fret about it :) The most important thing in the first 4 weeks is Fluid FLUID FLUID & make sure to take your supplements ♡ Congrats on surgery! I had G-Bypass and gallbladder out on August 24th, 313 is my heaviest weight, 307 on start of program, 293 on surgery day and I'm now 250 (43 lbs post surgery loss) at 9 weeks out.. You shouldn't stress and if you have any questions at all your 1st line should be your mychart to ask the dr. There are no small questions. We're all here to offer answers on general stuff but I do recommend asking your dr too.

I also wanted to say I can only drink the premier protien shakes, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, Blueberry and apple cinnamon. I like them because they aren't slimy, chalky, chunky or too sweet. If you have not found the ones you like keep looking AND when you begin solid foods get lots of high protien meats if you're not a vegetarian that is! I do a lot of lemon pepper cod, I hate canned tuna so I make tuna fish with light mayo, celery seed and relish juice from tuna steaks! I eat my protien first and I just try to make it a priority on my plate. I can only eat about 3-4 oz of food at a time so it makes cooking the better quality more expensive food options go a longer way in my freezer or fridge making options for better quality foods more available in my budget :)

28 minutes ago, Brittanyanne12 said:

Has anyone ever tried a Protein pill supplement? I know there are some out there, but didnt know about how they are for bariatric patients...

I wouldn’t recommend them. Most Protein pills are only 1g of protein each. That would end up being a super expensive way to get your protein in. Depending on your stage there’s many options. On days where I have a hard time tolerating solid food I’ve found I can eat Quest protein chips (the tortilla style ones). 21g protein per bag (they’re small bags similar to the bags of chips you buy for like $1.50)