Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! Need to reset/refocus. 3+ years post-op.

So before I get started, here are my stats...

Surgery Date: June 12, 2017

Surgery Type / Cost: VSG - Self Pay (~$19,000)

High Weight: 216

Low Weight: 125

Current Weight: 150

Goal Weight: 116

Between relationship stress, COVID stress, and just life I am now up to 150. I need help to get back into the "sleeve" mind set. I REALLY want to avoid revision surgery. Any suggestions? My pouch has definitely stretched. I can eat a lot more than initially after surgery (not like right after obviously, but the first year or 2 after). Help!!

Your goal weight is almost at 20 BMI, to achieve this weight and maintain is going to take a lot of commitment from you. Motivation may get you started, commitment will see you through to the end.

What effort have you made so far? How is it going?

Given you are three years out from surgery, I would think that calorie counting may be useful for weight loss, some exercise for the health benefits may help keep the commitment going.

Have a look at some calorie counting apps, see which one would meeting your needs the most, enter your profile for weight loss, and go with with the daily calorie allowance. Be mindful that some include additional calories for exercise based on information you have given - I know myfitnesspal doesn't so if you exercise you will need to eat back some additional calories.

If calorie counting make sure you weight and measure everything (no guestimating), track everything.

If you don't want to calorie count, perhaps start cutting out Snacks, just eating three or four main meals a day but reduce portion sizes. See if that helps, eventually though as you get closer to goal weight you may need to calorie count.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Depends on what your diet and exercise schedule looks right now what might be your best strategy. If you noticed that you have e. g. eating 6 meals instead of your usual 4 or 5 cutting back on meal frequency might be the right way to go. If you noticed that you're eating more calorie dense foods now, change back to less calorie dense foods etc..

There might most likely be some trial and error involved though.

In general the more you eat, the less calorie dense the food you eat needs to be. When you're an exercise lover and have a high NEAT on top you can get away with eating more calories but in the end you can't out-exercise a lousy diet.

Try doing more exercise and cutting carbs count your calorie intake and take your Protein

I had my surgery March 2018 with the pandemic I lost track and gained 20 lbs was drinking too much eating things I’m not suppose to and pushing my eating limits, 2 month ago I decided it was enough bought I bike started doing exercise cut the carbs started counting calories I’m between 800 and 1200 per day, substituted dinner for Protein Shake and happy to say that after 2 months I’ve lost 25 pounds I’m doing around 120 to 150 miles a week on the bike I feel awesome and back on track I refuse to be part of the percentage that gains the weight

now I’m back to only eating 5 oz of food and feeling full before this reset I was eating 8-10 oz

talk to your Doctor see what works for you

Edited by MiltonP

I started counting calories when I was about a year out. It takes a little trial and error, but figure out what your maintenance range is. Mine is 1500-1700 - but of course that's very individual. If I stay within my range, I can maintain my weight. If I'm exercising regularly, I can consistently stay at the high end of that and sometimes go over occasionally. If I want to lose weight, I need to consistently stay at the low end (plus exercise) or go slightly under. Usually I'm somewhere in the middle, having maybe 1550 some days and 1670 others. Anyway, my point is, figure out the range at which you can maintain your weight (might take a couple weeks or more of experimentation), and then either go below that or add in regular exercise (or both...)

Thank you all for the comments! I'm definitely eating too many carbs, so I'm going to first try replacing 1 meal with a Protein Shake and start counting calories. I also dug my bike out of storage. I like in Arizona, so I can't do much outdoors in the summer, but it's finally getting nice out!