Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping some muscle after Gastric Sleeve

Hey all,

It's my first time posting here! I really love how everyone here is so supportive of one another!

I am having my surgery done on October 6th. Luckily for me the nerves haven't kicked in yet but I do think about my post-op results a lot.

I am a male and I think my biggest worry with this surgery is that I will lose too much muscle and appear very weak after surgery. I haven't really done much work out since I assume I would just be wasting my time and energy only to lose all that I gained. I am thinking about getting a 10/15lb dumbbell and working my arms out with that over the 6 week period where no more than 15lb lifting is allowed. I know the Protein is key as well. I was wondering if anyone had some tips on retaining muscle? Especially in the shoulder/biceps area.

By the way, good luck to anyone having surgery soon.💪

Welcome to the forums,

It most certainly is not a waste of time building/keeping muscle pre-op.

You will appear weak post-op because you will be weak for a few weeks (1-2 is normal, but it could go longer). Talk to your surgeon, but most folks are released to exercise at about a month. Weights may be a little longer (measured in weeks). Then you can build muscle to your hearts content.

Maybe MsMocie will sneek in and give her insight. She is an exercise guru.

Good luck,

Tek

this is my experience. i definitely lost a lot of strength in the first year. i knew this would happen tho. i still lifted and did crossfit but the strength definitely went quick. i was also eat 800 cals until i got to my goal weight. Once i got there i knew i wanted to add muscle. So with help from my nutrionist, i SLOWLY added calories. Right now i eat around 2800-3000 a day. But i work out 6-7 days a week and theyre usually intense workouts with 2 running/biking days. It takes time and definitely can be done but dont rush it. Hope this helps!

IMG_4805.JPG

4 hours ago, JAKE H said:

this is my experience. i definitely lost a lot of strength in the first year. i knew this would happen tho. i still lifted and did crossfit but the strength definitely went quick. i was also eat 800 cals until i got to my goal weight. Once i got there i knew i wanted to add muscle. So with help from my nutrionist, i SLOWLY added calories. Right now i eat around 2800-3000 a day. But i work out 6-7 days a week and theyre usually intense workouts with 2 running/biking days. It takes time and definitely can be done but dont rush it. Hope this helps!

IMG_4805.JPG

Looking good bro ! 💪🏽 Very inspiring.

Thanks for the tip! When did you have your surgery?

Edited by SanAnthonio

11 hours ago, SanAnthonio said:

Looking good bro ! 💪🏽 Very inspiring.

Thanks for the tip! When did you have your surgery?

july 10th 2019. A little over 15 months ago.

Pretty impressive for 15 months. Nice job sir.

15 hours ago, maslman said:

Pretty impressive for 15 months. Nice job sir.

thank you!!!!

There really doesn't seem to be any way to avoid losing some muscle. I was totally weak for most of the first year. It took about six months of moderate exercise after that to get back to preop strength levels. The most important thing is that even though I can't press or lift any more than I could before I'm much athletic.

july 10th 2019. A little over 15 months ago.
Super impressive, Jake. Keep it up!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app