Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Upper GI “findings”

Did anyone have any irregularities on their endoscopy before surgery?

They found “inflammation” in my stomach and an “irregular Z-line” in my esophagus.

I am freaking out a little.

Don't freak out yet. Wait until your Doc says it's time to freak out, then have at it.

I don't wanna take your Doc's thunder but Doc will have your answers.

Don't panic.

Tek

Yes, that's partly why they do them. I had esophagitis, an esophageal stricture, and gastritis. The stricture got fixed during my surgery and the esophagitis and gastritis got a medication adjustment.

I had gastritis, Barrett's esophagitis, a Barrett's polyp, and a hiatal hernia. The polyp was removed. The hiatal hernia was repaired during my gastric bypass surgery. I was put on omeprazole after surgery and follow up scope showed total resolution of the Barretts! However, there were signs of eosinophilic esophagitis which resolved once I stopped whey Protein. THEN....... I developed a bleeding ulcer 9 months post op. Fortunately, it also resolved with omeprazole and remains resolved now 19 months post op, with no medication.

With the weight loss and elimination of whey protein, and time to completely heal (doc says maybe a rogue suture caused the ulcer), it seems that all issues are now resolved. I continue to avoid all caffeine, soda, and alcohol.

PS: Chronic gastritis (inflammation) and irregular Z-line are very common findings in the general population. Once you lose weight and reduce the acid reflux, this may well resolve. It is nothing that will prevent surgery, and surgery will most likely help.

Edited by AZhiker

13 hours ago, KellyRenae said:

Foxbins did you have sleeve or bypass? Thx

Both! Sleeve in 2011, developed GERD, revised to bypass this past June.