Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week out and nerves are in full force

My time is pretty much up, my date is on 10/5 and I am getting so anxious/nervous! I've never had surgery before, so that is also adding to my anxiety. I trust my surgeon, but the preoperative anxiety is so real.

One minute, I feel ready. The next, and I'm like "what are you doing?!" I know what I'm feeling is normal, but I'm naturally a worry wart and so nervous but I'll be the case with complications and/or regretting my decision.

The unknown is the worst.

I’m two weeks out and I’m also getting that nervous feeling! I think it’s natural and I keep trying to focus on how worth it this is going to be and how much I’ll be thanking myself for this decision a year from now.

No surgeries. Yeah, the worst is the unknown.

I've had more surgeries than I can count, so I'll take you through it.

First, do what they tell you to do. It probably won't end the world if you're a few minutes off, but try to stick to the instructions. Things vary by surgeon and surgery, so I won't get into any specifics. If I hit on something your surgeon didn't mention, don't vex.

1. For WLS, they may have you on a special diet, possibly liquid, for weeks before. This is because they want you lose weight to shrink organs and give them room to move about in there;
  2. They will likely turn off the last time you can eat or drink. This is because they'd prefer your stomach and upper intestines empty;
  3. You will be asked to show up at the hospital on the day of the surgery. They find it difficult to operate if you're not there, so it's best to show up;
  4. They will have you gown, setup your IV, maybe give you something to relax you. Now is when you start waiting. Once I was old enough to read, I started bringing books. Cell phone might work, but some hospitals are testy about cell phones;
  5. Eventually, the Doc will come in and say hi and talk about things. My Doc made sure he asked everyone 2 questions: "You know you can die?" and "Do you want to continue?" Yours will do it slightly differently;
  6. More waiting;
  7. The Anesthesiologist will make an appearance. The order of Doc & Anesthesiologist may be reversed. The Anesthesiologist will talk about things like smoking, what issues you may have had in the past, and whatever else tweaks his/her fancy;
  8. More waiting. How the book going?
  9. A Nurse will come in, get rid of anyone waiting with you, then wheel you into the OR.
  10. It's cold. They'll scoot you onto the operating table. Everyone is doing something but you. You're just laying their;
  11. Soon enough, everyone settles into starting positions, the starting gun fires, and we're off.
  12. Your Anesthesiologist will ask you to count backwards from 10. Or the alphabet, or whatever this Doc does;
  13. OK, 10, 9, 8...
  14. You sleep through all the exciting stuff;
  15. You become aware that you are more or less awake. Someone will notice and come over to check on you.
  16. You're doing fine.
  17. The get you more awake, eventually your whoever can come in to sit with you. They'll bring your book, but you really don't have the focus to do much of anything;
  18. You're Doc told you if you are going home today or not. Back for mine, it was a 3 day thing. Nowadays, you might have an overnight stay, maybe not.
  19. I don't know if you're going home. Pay attention. It's hard, so don't worry about it.
  20. If you're going home, they'll get you stable and awake, give you instructions;
    1. More waiting;
    2. They'll come in and tell you to get dressed;
    3. More waiting;
    4. Ooh, going home paperwork!
    5. More waiting;
    6. You could have gone home hours ago, why are you still here?
    7. And out the door you go! After a bit more waiting;
  21. If you're not going home, they'll get you stable and move you to your room;
    1. This is mostly wating;
    2. If you get a magic button (for pain) push it.
    3. They may want you to drink (or not);
    4. They may give you food if the docs want's you to have it. (Mine wanted me to have puree, but I had 3 days to go);
    5. Enjoy the rest;
  22. You're now on the way home.
  23. Enjoy the ride;

Good Luck and enjoy

Tek

1 hour ago, SpecialK92 said:

My time is pretty much up, my date is on 10/5 and I am getting so anxious/nervous! I've never had surgery before, so that is also adding to my anxiety. I trust my surgeon, but the preoperative anxiety is so real.

One minute, I feel ready. The next, and I'm like "what are you doing?!" I know what I'm feeling is normal, but I'm naturally a worry wart and so nervous but I'll be the case with complications and/or regretting my decision.

The unknown is the worst.

Hi death complication is pretty scary but remember that the other complications can mostly be managed if you get them. Even some with complications still would rather have the weight off and live with the complication. That said alot of people go through this fantastically with nothing bad happening. Its a personal decision remember why you started though 💗

Post above Rocks

You got this focus on the new you and the future, Nobody goes into a hospital not being jittery - I am a rough tough retired biker and my nerves were rattled. Typical emotion