Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacation

In a week's time, I'm going to be heading off on an in-state vacation for a few days. It's a small attempt to make up for losing pretty much all of my summer between surgery and COVID. Fortunately, I have a lot of great options for in-state getaways. Admittedly, I have some minor anxiety about the whole thing that is mostly related to my diet (mitigating COVID anxiety by making a concerted effort to get out of the downtown area and off to the multitude of hiking trails and quieter spots on the island). I've got a couple of big orders of my favored Protein bars arriving this week and will definitely be making room for a box or two in my suitcase. I can pick up some premade Protein Shakes from the Stop & Shop on-island, so realistically I know I should be fine and have my protein options on hand. And I know the bulk of the restaurants there well enough to know a couple that I could indulge in (more seafood restaurants than you can shake a stick at!) if I decide I want a meal, though I hope most places are doing takeout because I know no interest in dining in. So I should be fine. And yet, it's the first trip since surgery and I still have that annoying black cloud of doubt and worry hanging out nearby.

How did you handle your first post-op vacation? How do you handle them now, if you've much further out from your surgery date? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks!

It's been so long ago I don't remember. Also, at the time we lived in Las Vegas, so a 'vacation' was sorta like it is for you: Stick your head up and pick something.

My first couple attempts at eating out didn't go so well. It usually involved a quick trip to a restroom or other, closer, out of sight area I could deal with things. This had the effect of causing me anxiety about eating in public so the anxiety itself was likely to cause an issue. Further, I tend to get involved in conversations, which I know is hard to believe based on how withdrawn I am here. Focusing on conversation cause me to not pay enough attention to eating, again creating issues.

Bottom line, while I am generally able to eat out, the anxiety is still dialed up so I only do it with my wife, and because she is disabled and mostly home bound, rarely.

So, tip:

# 1, focus on what your doing.

# 2: Don't worry about eating off plan. All the now built in stuff is still in effect: Portion size, Protein, doing all this is nearly automatic now. When you get home and back to plan, it will balance out;

# 3: Vacations are active affairs and now you are able to partake more. This may stoke your appetite. I would listen and perhaps eat a snack or two when the urge strikes. You're on vacation, you're more active, it's OK.

# 4: Don't let your new biology and habits take the joy out of your vacation. Allow it to enhance your joy. Beat it into submission if you must.

# 5: it will balance out. When vacation is over, back to plan.

Enjoy your vacation.

Tek

FYI:

My husband love to eat on vacation. Told him to enjoy his food. If Soup is available I will order soup and he can have my left over soup.

At my post op appt. my doctor stated to be sure to chew well and eat moist food. If I do not feel like eating, I will ask for hot Water and drink my hot chocolate or Cream of chicken packets from BariatricPal order.

Being one month post op, I do not feel like eating but I meet my Protein intake with the BariatricPal replacement meals and drinks that I just add water.

appetizers and Soups are my friend. I can't possibly eat an entree-sized plate of food, I can only eat half a hamburger and nothing else. So I either plan to eat leftovers the next day and the day after that or it's Soup or an appetizer.

I always take individual packets of Protein Powder plus an assortment of Protein bars with me "just in case". Otherwise, I've been able to find things to eat at most restaurants for several years now - it's really just the first few months post-op where this could be tricky..

While not a vacation, I travel often for work. On my good days...breakfast and lunch are a breeze and I use Protein Shakes and/or bars. dinner with others can be super stressful/tempting. Seafood is your friend this week though. Stick with appetizers and you’re generally good to go with things like Ahi, shrimp cocktail, etc. great thing about COVID is that everyone is offering takeaway these days.

12:19pm and this is where I am at for today. I may be overachieving...

0C0D8BEF-E527-4725-9CFD-FF0A9AD5753B.png

My first post-op vacation was a cruise. Now I know what you're thinking: FOOD! But it was actually easy because they had all the healthy options to choose from and I was so committed that I didn't indulge in the bad options. Now when I travel I take Protein Shakes and Protein bars with me for Breakfast at hotels and Snacks.