Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lamictal after gastric bypass

I’ll have my surgery on November 3, and I take Lamictal for bipolar disorder. I saw a similar thread for this related to gastric sleeve, but I’m getting the roux-en-y gastric bypass. I’m a healthcare professional myself and have read up on the pharmacology of Lamictal, and based on my reading I think things should be fine. But I’m curious if anyone has specific experience related to a need for dose increase or decrease post-op. And how soon after surgery we’re you able to take your meds again?

20 minutes ago, SAS11 said:

I’ll have my surgery on November 3, and I take Lamictal for bipolar disorder. I saw a similar thread for this related to gastric sleeve, but I’m getting the roux-en-y gastric bypass. I’m a healthcare professional myself and have read up on the pharmacology of Lamictal, and based on my reading I think things should be fine. But I’m curious if anyone has specific experience related to a need for dose increase or decrease post-op. And how soon after surgery we’re you able to take your meds again?

I had trouble with my capsules at first. Had to put the contents in a liquid. I found that Isopure Apple protien drink disguised most of the bitterness. At 6 weeks post surgery I’m taking the capsules with no issues. I do try to keep them staggered if I can from food or excess fluids. My levels seem to be fine. I was not taking my full doses post up because of difficulty tolerating them swallowing wise but I saw some changes in my mental health as a result. Do your best and you’ll get to where they will be easily ingested.

Generally, there are a lot of variables that go into how well medications work post-op. Variables like you, your surgery, how much was bypassed, where the drug is absorbed (which they probably don't know), and other stuff we'd never think of.

It often just comes down to trial and error.

Generally, time release meds MAY be a problem. I took some time-released pain meds that didn't work. They increased it to 8 times the appropriate dose, still nothing. Changed to non-time released and the appropriate dose worked fine. Other things, like Slow-FE which is time released Iron works well enough for me.

For me, meds generally last 1/2 as long as the should.

So, work closely with your Docs, Lamictal is something you want to keep right.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

Tek

My doc simply changed me from once a day Extended Release Lamictal to twice daily split dosage.

I honestly was fine after surgery and didn’t need to adjust my dose. I had it in 2012 and I did fine. My Effexor definitely reacted differently post surgery and I found I could not forget to take it AT ALL or I would quickly go into withdrawal. I didn’t have any issues with lamictal tho.