Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 DAYS OUT AND STILL SO SICK-help!

Hi all - I never thought I'd post on a public forum mainly because I was afraid it would go unnoticed and I wouldn't get any responses. For any of you who have had lapband, please share your story or opinions with me. I am so curious to see how you all felt after surgery and if what I am feeling is common. I'm really struggling with this.

I had by lapband surgery on 9/17/20. I was initially nauseous and in physical pain but the pain of the incisions and actual surgery seems to be getting much better. I am nauseous daily. Even Water makes my stomach hurt or feel as though I am going to get sick. When I drink Protein Shakes, zero calorie drinks, or other approved foods/liquids, my stomach doesn't take it well. I don't know what to do. I've talked to the nutritionist at my office and although I trust their opinion, I feel like I need to hear from people who have been through this first hand.

Please let me know if you have any advice or opinions on this!!

thank you!

Welcome to the forums.

You had surgery just over a week ago. Your band area has been abused terribly and is angry and swollen. This means that any food or drink that goes near it is going to cause what you feel.

Remember to drink only sips and slowly. If/when you start food, small bites, chew thoroughly, then chew more.

Hang in there. Remember that the first weeks are the worst it will probably be.

Good luck,

Tek

I agree with Tek. Your stomach has had a major trauma. Don't force things right now...take everything very slowly. Have you tried Bone Broth? It was approved for me and I got Swanson Sipping Broths from Amazon (they had plain chicken at the store, but I wanted the lemon rosemary flavor!). They are 45 calories and 9 grams of Protein. I needed something savory as opposed to sweet.

Then, when I could go to full liquid, I got my favorite Soup from Panera (Summer Corn Chowder) and strained it. YUM! Best thing I've ever eaten!

Good luck!!

6 hours ago, KAITLINM said:

Hi all - I never thought I'd post on a public forum mainly because I was afraid it would go unnoticed and I wouldn't get any responses. For any of you who have had lapband, please share your story or opinions with me. I am so curious to see how you all felt after surgery and if what I am feeling is common. I'm really struggling with this.

I had by lapband surgery on 9/17/20. I was initially nauseous and in physical pain but the pain of the incisions and actual surgery seems to be getting much better. I am nauseous daily. Even Water makes my stomach hurt or feel as though I am going to get sick. When I drink Protein Shakes, zero calorie drinks, or other approved foods/liquids, my stomach doesn't take it well. I don't know what to do. I've talked to the nutritionist at my office and although I trust their opinion, I feel like I need to hear from people who have been through this first hand.

thank you!

i do not have band but i saw an episode of fat doctor where a person got the band and the surgeon handed her a cup of Water and if she couldn't keep it down he took some fill out. I hope you get to feeling better!

6 hours ago, KAITLINM said:

thank you!

oh also maybe see about a script for something called zofran for the initial days with your inflammation it may help

it is common.... for nearly all the surgeries. When i was banded all those years ago i stuck to the diet plan to the "T".... clear liquid for a week, full liquid for a week, puree and then "food".

Like someone said your stomach is angry and swollen. Don't drink anything cold....try at room temp or hot. That helped me. If you are stressed about all this, it can also affect your stomach. Just take small sips of Water, Soup, Protein shake.....

You should also know what size band you have and if he/she put any in at the time on placement. You should keep a record of all your fills.