Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Protein HELP!!

Greetings! I'm new to the group and praying for some advice.

My sleeve surgery was 10 days ago. My daily Protein recommendations are 60g – 90g. I am struggling to get in 30g, and I do mean struggling. The only thing I can keep down is ice Water. The smell and slightest taste of Protein Shakes, protein water, and even unflavored protein (three different brands in 10 days) make me gag. I literally cannot tolerate anything sweet since surgery. I have tried sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, thinned sugar fee pudding, sugar free juice, Crystal Light, etc. I have tried adding Protein Powder to Soup, protein bariatric soup, and even made my own, all with the same result. When I plug my nose to force myself to drink the protein, my body actually tries to vomit but there’s nothing to come up.

Has anyone had this happen? Any suggestions? I start pureed foods in 5 more days but realize I can’t sustain on ice water alone for much longer.

hi my surgery was on July 6th so i pretty much know what you are talking about .even though mine is a little diffrent i am having issues with protiien shakes and almost everything else nothing taste good or i gag on it . My Dr decided to insert feeding tube .all i can say is keep trying i pray to god everyday to get me past this they say it will get better

7 hours ago, teezora said:

My sleeve surgery was 10 days ago. My daily Protein recommendations are 60g – 90g. I am struggling to get in 30g, and I do mean struggling. The only thing I can keep down is ice Water. The smell and slightest taste of Protein Shakes, Protein Water, and even unflavored protein (three different brands in 10 days) make me gag. I literally cannot tolerate anything sweet since surgery. I have tried sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, thinned sugar fee pudding, sugar free juice, Crystal Light, etc. I have tried adding Protein Powder to Soup, protein bariatric Soup, and even made my own, all with the same result. When I plug my nose to force myself to drink the protein, my body actually tries to vomit but there’s nothing to come up.

Has anyone had this happen? Any suggestions? I start pureed foods in 5 more days but realize I can’t sustain on ice water alone for much longer.

Try different mixers to make it smoother like diet juices and fairlife milk

7 hours ago, calliekaine said:

hi my surgery was on July 6th so i pretty much know what you are talking about .even though mine is a little diffrent i am having issues with protiien shakes and almost everything else nothing taste good or i gag on it . My Dr decided to insert feeding tube .all i can say is keep trying i pray to god everyday to get me past this they say it will get better

I have similar but i have a complication called persistent ileus. Not on tube just eating what i can

I am right there with you. The struggle is so real and everyone seems to think you just have to "find a way" but the fact is, you are trying but your body and stomach just rejects it. I had to pray and get divine power because I was in tears. I'm not there yet, but I am seeing a little progress in tolerance for the GENEPRO Protein powder if I put it in liquid first, shake well and then put it in Soups I enjoy ( the broth). I have a ninja blender so it blends any grit taste out 90%.
I'm learning to give myself a good balance of grace and perseverance through drinking. Nothing is Goldilocks "just right" perfect yet, but I've accepted that that's okay. It's easy for some people to get there protein grams in and others struggle, but know that you doing great. You made a healthy and bold decision for a better life, applaud yourself for that first!
I made this post a few days ago and maybe it will help you. Just look for the title in this thread and feel free to private message me if you need to. You are NOT ALONE!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you.

When I added the post asking for help I thought I was fairly clear that I have tried MANY different options and was asking for tips on something maybe I haven't tried.

I'm struggling to get Protein as ever since surgery I can't tolerate (smell or taste) anything sweet which leaves the protein shakes/waters out. As soon as I smell/taste something sweet I involuntarily gag which does not feel good!!

I've tried three different unflavored protein powders in 10 days in Soup (I've even made my own soup and liquefied it) but nothing is working.

I've even tried forcing myself by plugging my nose but after I swallow it my body tries to throw it up but the only thing in my stomach is Water so I end up with dry heaves which hurts and can't be good for the 10 day old staples.

Forcing myself isn't working! Does anyone have alternative suggestions on how to get in protein?

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Try blending and straining chicken Soup made with Bone Broth. You can try collagen or egg powders instead of whey Protein powders so see if the change in base helps at all.

Above all, if the sweet stuff is making you sick or gag then don’t try and force it down, it won’t do you any good.

19 hours ago, teezora said:

My sleeve surgery was 10 days ago. My daily Protein recommendations are 60g – 90g. I am struggling to get in 30g, and I do mean struggling. The only thing I can keep down is ice Water. The smell and slightest taste of Protein Shakes, Protein Water, and even unflavored protein (three different brands in 10 days) make me gag. I literally cannot tolerate anything sweet since surgery. I have tried sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, thinned sugar fee pudding, sugar free juice, Crystal Light, etc. I have tried adding Protein Powder to Soup, protein bariatric Soup, and even made my own, all with the same result. When I plug my nose to force myself to drink the protein, my body actually tries to vomit but there’s nothing to come up.

Welcome to the forums.

10 days ago you had surgery which means 10 days ago your surgeon did surgical insult to your stomach. He poked, he prodded, he moved things about, he created the sleeve. So far so good.

All those things that were poked, prodded, moved, and changed are still very swollen, very angry, and very sensitive.

Some folks, even when they do everything right, have the issues you are having now. It's worse for some people than others. Whatever you drink do very small sips and leave a bit of time between sips. If/when you get to food, it's very small bites, chew well, then chew some more. Again, leave time between bites.

Back to current. You and your sleeve are already learning new behaviors. The fact that you gag BEFORE you try means your sleeve has already learned how to tell you what it doesn't like... over sweet stuff. This will help in the future.

Hang in there, keep trying different things. Eventually your sleeve will heal enough or you will hit a product that works well enough.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

1 hour ago, The Greater Fool said:

Welcome to the forums.

10 days ago you had surgery which means 10 days ago your surgeon did surgical insult to your stomach. He poked, he prodded, he moved things about, he created the sleeve. So far so good.

All those things that were poked, prodded, moved, and changed are still very swollen, very angry, and very sensitive.

Some folks, even when they do everything right, have the issues you are having now. It's worse for some people than others. Whatever you drink do very small sips and leave a bit of time between sips. If/when you get to food, it's very small bites, chew well, then chew some more. Again, leave time between bites.

Back to current. You and your sleeve are already learning new behaviors. The fact that you gag BEFORE you try means your sleeve has already learned how to tell you what it doesn't like... over sweet stuff. This will help in the future.

Hang in there, keep trying different things. Eventually your sleeve will heal enough or you will hit a product that works well enough.

Good luck,

Tek

These tips about putting waiting between bites and gulps is true for me. i actually set spoon down for awhile in between or there can be pain and suffering. In the very beginning when i couldnt force myself to drink nasty Protein Shakes i ate over easy eggs. Just the yokes they have Protein. But eventually did the plug the nose and drink thing lol. Right now im in soft foods.

3 hours ago, teezora said:

Thank you.

When I added the post asking for help I thought I was fairly clear that I have tried MANY different options and was asking for tips on something maybe I haven't tried.

I'm struggling to get Protein as ever since surgery I can't tolerate (smell or taste) anything sweet which leaves the Protein shakes/waters out. As soon as I smell/taste something sweet I involuntarily gag which does not feel good!!

I've tried three different unflavored protein powders in 10 days in Soup (I've even made my own Soup and liquefied it) but nothing is working.

I've even tried forcing myself by plugging my nose but after I swallow it my body tries to throw it up but the only thing in my stomach is Water so I end up with dry heaves which hurts and can't be good for the 10 day old staples.

Forcing myself isn't working! Does anyone have alternative suggestions on how to get in protein?

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Well maybe not as clear as you thought if you arent getting the responses you desire lol. Everyone is human and im sure they are trying to help with their responses. Look i went off the board for my early protein i ate some over easy egg yolks. It was kinda liquidy so i went with it and it was my own idea. Just dont eat the thicker goo around the yolk that might be consider soft. there is protein in each yolk. also i discovered not only do i hate the smell but container the drink is sitting in so straws are helping me. most that hate the Protein Shakes switch to real meat asap. 3ounce of meat is 21 g protein in general. If you can get that in 3x a day youd be fine without protein powder at all (if your protein goal is 60g like mine). other foods have protein like that fairlife milk. ofcourse you can get this approve w surgeon like the rest of us