Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2020 sleevers

My wife and I were sleeved today. My pain has been fairly manageable. My wife is in a bit more pain. We lost 18 and 19 lbs on the 2 week preop diet. Happy healing to the rest of the sleeves for this month. The biotene dry mouth spray is amazing after surgery.

Edited by mswillis5

Just did my sleeve yesterday! All seems well so far. Just started liquid diet today which I was so ready for. Ice chips all day yesterday was horrible. Pain was managed with meds. The amount of Tylenol given at one point was so gross but I haven’t thrown up at all. Excited to be on this side if it. For me, it’s a little easier than I expected.

5 hours ago, NikkiRose17 said:

Just did my sleeve yesterday! All seems well so far. Just started liquid diet today which I was so ready for. Ice chips all day yesterday was horrible. Pain was managed with meds. The amount of Tylenol given at one point was so gross but I haven’t thrown up at all. Excited to be on this side if it. For me, it’s a little easier than I expected.

I did mine yesterday too! The pain was hard to manage for me but getting better. Mine also went way smoother then I though. Surgeon said everything was perfect.

I am struggling mightily to get in my fluids, never mind the Protein. The pain is a lot less today but my stomach hurts with every single sip. I have a feeling I’m going to get lectured tomorrow at my post op appointment. My goal today was to finish a 20 oz Gatorade zero and a protein Water but I’m not even half done with the Gatorade yet. Sigh.

Just got my surgery today! Overall has been really good, sometimes the meds wear off and I feel extremely uncomfortable but for the most part my experience has been really good! Took me awhile to get up and walk around because I was so drugged up haha. My only issue right now is trying to have anything other than Water. They gave me some Jello, gatorade G2 and broth and every time I try to have something it builds up the gas pressure in my stomach and I have to brace myself through it until a burp comes up. Should I just not try and wait until tomorrow? I’m not sure if I’m just making things worse by trying to drink through it 😕

14 hours ago, esvaros said:

Just got my surgery today! Overall has been really good, sometimes the meds wear off and I feel extremely uncomfortable but for the most part my experience has been really good! Took me awhile to get up and walk around because I was so drugged up haha. My only issue right now is trying to have anything other than Water. They gave me some Jello, gatorade G2 and broth and every time I try to have something it builds up the gas pressure in my stomach and I have to brace myself through it until a burp comes up. Should I just not try and wait until tomorrow? I’m not sure if I’m just making things worse by trying to drink through it 😕

I'm getting a lot of gas pain too, no matter how slowly I drink or small sips. I was sleeved on the 9th and it seems to be getting better.

14 hours ago, esvaros said:

Be thankful you can burp... I have never been able to get myself to burp for some reason (it happens spontaneously a couple times a year, and it is always a surprise), and after surgery I literally thought I was dying, the gas pain was so severe for me (I would nearly pass out when I would move, because it felt like something burst inside. Seeing stars, muffled sound, heartbeat in ears, everything. It was terrifying.) Thankfully, it eased a bit a couple days in. Hang in there!! Incision pain wasn't bothersome at all... just the extreme gas pain.

As for the liquids, just drink suuuuuuper slow, and you'll figure out what works for you. In the beginning, I had to have things absolutely ice cold or hot, because room temperature stuff would give me terrible hiccups. It's not like that now (I am 11 days out) :)

11 hours ago, GivinItMyALL said:

Be thankful you can burp... I have never been able to get myself to burp for some reason (it happens spontaneously a couple times a year, and it is always a surprise), and after surgery I literally thought I was dying, the gas pain was so severe for me (I would nearly pass out when I would move, because it felt like something burst inside. Seeing stars, muffled sound, heartbeat in ears, everything. It was terrifying.) Thankfully, it eased a bit a couple days in. Hang in there!! Incision pain wasn't bothersome at all... just the extreme gas pain.

As for the liquids, just drink suuuuuuper slow, and you'll figure out what works for you. In the beginning, I had to have things absolutely ice cold or hot, because room temperature stuff would give me terrible hiccups. It's not like that now (I am 11 days out) :)

Thanks for the advice! I managed to start drinking Protein Shakes and broth today with less problems and got discharged :)

Wow that sounds horrible! Gas pain has definitely gotten worse and no amount of walking is helping 😕 Gonna have to wait it out I suppose!

For me, I’ve finally found that the only way for me to get in my drinking is to sip, wait for a pain in the stomach, small burp, then on to the next.

In general I’m in so much less pain every day. Except when I cough. Horrible, tearing pain in my lower left abdomen with every cough.

Ok so update (sleeved on 11/11):

Tylenol w/ codiene barely keeps pain away but it’s bearable. Lots of discomfort due to gas but walking definitely helps. Once a large gas bubble gets out, it’s great. I feel it just builds again and is in that kind of constant cycle right now but less and less discomfort each day. Although it’s only been 2nd full day home. I feel like my upper abdomen is still quite swollen and tender. Anyone else have this? Coughing and just getting up and down hurts. I’m looking forward to all that going away.

Sipping is the name of the game. Even small sips can hurt. Have to give it a couple seconds and the pain goes away. Multi chew made me feel I had to puke but it didn’t happen. Other than that, no sever nausea. What about everyone else?

56 minutes ago, NikkiRose17 said:

Ok so update (sleeved on 11/11):

Tylenol w/ codiene barely keeps pain away but it’s bearable. Lots of discomfort due to gas but walking definitely helps. Once a large gas bubble gets out, it’s great. I feel it just builds again and is in that kind of constant cycle right now but less and less discomfort each day. Although it’s only been 2nd full day home. I feel like my upper abdomen is still quite swollen and tender. Anyone else have this? Coughing and just getting up and down hurts. I’m looking forward to all that going away.

Sipping is the name of the game. Even small sips can hurt. Have to give it a couple seconds and the pain goes away. Multi chew made me feel I had to puke but it didn’t happen. Other than that, no sever nausea. What about everyone else?

My wife and I were also sleeved on 11/11. I am using a few tricks to try to make sure we get our liquids in. I'll share them at the end. My pain is significantly less and mainly only at the incision points. They do hurt a little when I shift or get up or down. My wife's are a bit more painful at least to her they are and she is doing fairly well. We both have the burping/gas and found that burping ourselves on the top of the chest does help a little bit.

For sipping we use these condiment cups. We don't fill them up all the way but they should still provide us with 2 oz as they are 2.5 oz in size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XK9LV22

For Soups we use these spoons that have a long handle but small spoon shape on the end.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XXT3F4M

We use these to time 15 minutes so that we get 1 full 2 oz serving in that 15 minutes for liquids.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8XF7AK

Nov. 5 sleeve surgery: Have had great success so far, but 2 issues. Began pre-op diet 2 weeks before of Protein Shakes 2-3 and one hi Protein meal. Final day before surgery, only shakes. 2 days after surgery was Clear Liquids only. Protein shakes (2-3 daily), broths and Water since then. Since 10/22 pre op kick off I have lost 31.5 lbs. Gout flared up in my ankle on Wednesday, just as tramadol came to an end. Late last night had a good round of dry heaves. I think from air in shakes from blender, so I will stick with premade ones. How are others progressing? Doc appointment on 11/20 to go on soft food two week transition. How are you folks progressing?

On 11/14/2020 at 09:39, mswillis5 said:

My wife and I were also sleeved on 11/11. I am using a few tricks to try to make sure we get our liquids in. I'll share them at the end. My pain is significantly less and mainly only at the incision points. They do hurt a little when I shift or get up or down. My wife's are a bit more painful at least to her they are and she is doing fairly well. We both have the burping/gas and found that burping ourselves on the top of the chest does help a little bit.

For sipping we use these condiment cups. We don't fill them up all the way but they should still provide us with 2 oz as they are 2.5 oz in size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XK9LV22

For Soups we use these spoons that have a long handle but small spoon shape on the end.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XXT3F4M

We use these to time 15 minutes so that we get 1 full 2 oz serving in that 15 minutes for liquids.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8XF7AK

So are you able to do Soups or just broths this first week?

And thank you for this advice! Definitely going to incorporate this into my day. Pain actually got better even after writing my post. A couple large gas bubbles released makes such a huge difference.