Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2020 sleevers

Hello I’m back to report that I have been sleeved! Coming out of surgery was rough! I threw up two or three times which I’m told is very normal. I wanted to sleep most of the time, so I wasn’t immediately up and walking. I had this terrible ache in my upper stomach that was not incision pain, perhaps hunger? It was strong but the pain meds and sleep helped with that.

Eventually, I got several walks in and used my lung breathing thing. Can’t recall what it’s called, but it helps your lungs expand and avoid pneumonia.

So far, I can tolerate liquids well. I went a whole night without pain meds and feel great. Your first two night may be a lil rough, but just remember that it gets better.

Alright, I’m joining you all on the losers bench on Tuesday morning! I am completely freaked out, but just plugging on ahead.
Looks like I’ll have lost 9 or so lbs on the liquid diet, so about 58 lbs so far down. Luckily I am staying in an air bnb and won’t have access to a scale because I know people usually gain a bit after surgery and I just don’t want to see it. I decided the next time I will weigh myself is at the post op on Friday.

Now on to surgery, and on to lose the other 120 lbs I have left to go.

On 11/7/2020 at 9:26 AM, GivinItMyALL said:

Has anyone who has had surgery already had a BM? I have not, and I don't even feel the pressure from one. Is that normal until I start eating more?

Also... does anyone have LARGE, DARK bruising? Especially at the stomach-removal incision? I am going to go on a search for what's normal there and what... isn't. Because it is like 😳

I just did yesterday after taking dulcolax. I’d went like 6 days. Sleeved 11/3. It’s been pure liquid since. TMI but just needed the dulcolax to move the last remaining solids from my system from pre op. I lost 2 lbs just from the BM for a total of 11 lbs the first week.

23 minutes ago, Chelsealauren09 said:

Same here. So bruised!

I don't have any bruising just yet, but I still have the bandages on, so maybe I'll see them when they come off. Your bruises will be gone before you know it!

Sleeved on Thursday 11/5. Went home that night because I met all benchmarks necessary early on. Clear Liquids only on 11/6. Began Protein Shakes and clear liquids on 11/7. Held down 22 oz in shakes and 30 in Water and 4 oz in consomme yesterday. Walking the backyard 5 times a day. Pain is worst when I get out of bed or chair. No nausea, no vomit at all yet or spit up. I use the small 1 oz med cup to drink, taking it in 2-4 sips. Crushing pills except prilosec taking whole. sleeping flat on my back at night and getting a nap each day. Minimal bruising. Also had a small bowel movement today without laxative.

On 11/05/2020 at 13:32, kalí̱ ygeía said:

Thank you to the 1st week of November people that have posted! I appreciated reading your posts. Hopefully you're having a smooth recovery and acclimating to the new change effortlessly. My day is coming tomorrow. Whoohoo! I'm super excited! I'm all packed and am finalizing stuff around the house.

I haven't been exactly the best with my preop diet, so hopefully my doctor won't take one look at the liver and send me back home. 😜

I lost only a few pounds, but I'm happy with that! As long as the scale is moving down not up, it's all good. My surgery is early, so I'll probably get zero sleep tonight. The hospital had me come in earlier in the week to get the paperwork done and they provided me with soap to wash the night before and day of the surgery.

Wow... I can't believe it's happening! I'll do my best to keep y'all posted. Hopefully I can do so asap when everything is fresh in mind.

Good luck Friday, November 6th day sleevers!

How are you doing? At home? Hope it went well for you

Hello everyone! I have been reading posts for a few weeks and finally got up the courage to join...for support. I will be getting my sleeve on November 25th and discharged Thanksgiving day, then flying home Friday the 27th. I am self pay at Alabama Surgical associates in Huntsville Alabama. Flying from coastal Ga. I have no underlying health conditions but when I walk/jog the my weight causes severe ankle pain and swelling (Tenosynovitis). I need help to get the weight off because exercise is causing pain. I am honestly more worried about the airplane than the surgery....until I go into surgery. Then I am sure Ill be terrified. I don't do pain. I vomited during child birth.....

On 11/2/2020 at 6:13 AM, Catgirl29 said:

I’m on the 13th also at Blossom in Vegas from Louisiana.

I’m on Nov 14th in Las Vegas at Blossom Bariatrics. I leave for surgery from Atlanta on the 11th.

(Note - the last list I saw to quote was incomplete so just listing mine here.)

7 hours ago, timothy.fleischer said:

How are you doing? At home? Hope it went well for you

I'm home now and doing great! Still doing fine with my liquids. Sometimes I get a mild discomfort probably because I forget to sip instead of gulping it down like a horse. I'm on phase 1 of postop restrictions...two weeks doing 1- 2 ounce liquids every fifteen minutes with the goal of getting to 64 oz of liquid in the day. I'm allowed my Protein Shakes, broths, diluted apple and grape juice, crystal light, Decaf coffee and tea and some other drinks. My surgeon also allows for watery yogurt and apple sauce. I'm also on 4 medications. One (muscle spams) I'm suppose to take for 2 weeks, second one (stomach acid blocker) is suppose to go for 4 weeks. The other two is an as needed basis since they help with pain and nausea.

Fortunately, I didn't need the pain or nausea medications yet. Crossing my fingers it continues this way.

I am not hungry, but do feel mental desires. However, while going through the pharmacy nothing made my mouth Water or ache to have it. When I got home and saw the food I normally eat, I did have a moment of " I wish I could eat that" but I overcame it very quickly. I don't have a choice, but to keep going forward and there's no turning back which I'm quite happy with. Besides in time, we'll be able to eat again just smaller portions.

I'm moving about, but I have to remind myself that a few days ago I had surgery. My body has so far handled it well.

7 hours ago, timothy.fleischer said:

Sleeved on Thursday 11/5. Went home that night because I met all benchmarks necessary early on. Clear Liquids only on 11/6. Began Protein Shakes and clear liquids on 11/7. Held down 22 oz in shakes and 30 in Water and 4 oz in consomme yesterday. Walking the backyard 5 times a day. Pain is worst when I get out of bed or chair. No nausea, no vomit at all yet or spit up. I use the small 1 oz med cup to drink, taking it in 2-4 sips. Crushing pills except prilosec taking whole. sleeping flat on my back at night and getting a nap each day. Minimal bruising. Also had a small bowel movement today without laxative.

Wow, you did exceptionally well to go home so quickly. You seem to have everything under control. I hope that your pain is manageable. Did you get any pain meds? The day of surgery and day after I was feeling pain, but the meds helped. By night fall on day two, I didn't have any pain.

Congrats on all the walking and the BM!

11 hours ago, CelinaLambeth said:

Hello everyone! I have been reading posts for a few weeks and finally got up the courage to join...for support. I will be getting my sleeve on November 25th and discharged Thanksgiving day, then flying home Friday the 27th. I am self pay at Alabama Surgical associates in Huntsville Alabama. Flying from coastal Ga. I have no underlying health conditions but when I walk/jog the my weight causes severe ankle pain and swelling (Tenosynovitis). I need help to get the weight off because exercise is causing pain. I am honestly more worried about the airplane than the surgery....until I go into surgery. Then I am sure Ill be terrified. I don't do pain. I vomited during child birth.....

Hi and welcome. I had surgery 5 days ago and I’ll be honest, these first days have been rough. I definitely have pain and vomiting. And terrible nausea from the gases they pump into you during surgery. My medical team say this is totally normal and by day 10-14 all of this should pass but I wish I had been more prepared for this part beforehand. I don’t tell you this to scare you just to let you know it is major surgery and the recovery is substantial. But in the positive side I’m already down 10 pounds! I do think once this initial period of recovery has passed it will be smooth sailing.

Flying is scary right now! But keep your mask on and maybe wear gloves. I know you will be fine. Best of luck!

57 minutes ago, Cindydt said:

Hi and welcome. I had surgery 5 days ago and I’ll be honest, these first days have been rough. I definitely have pain and vomiting. And terrible nausea from the gases they pump into you during surgery. My medical team say this is totally normal and by day 10-14 all of this should pass but I wish I had been more prepared for this part beforehand. I don’t tell you this to scare you just to let you know it is major surgery and the recovery is substantial. But in the positive side I’m already down 10 pounds! I do think once this initial period of recovery has passed it will be smooth sailing.

Flying is scary right now! But keep your mask on and maybe wear gloves. I know you will be fine. Best of luck!

Thank you so very much for the warm welcome and advice. Im hoping the gas pain wont be amplified from the flight...ugh. Worrying wont help me but if I dont prepare myself emotionally, my anxiety will be out of control.

Ran out of the OR room!
Hi everyone! I’m new here. My sleeve date was 11/6/20 however I’m not sleeved. I was/am excited, terrified, anxious, nervous... now I’m stuck. Here’s what happened.. I showed up at 5:30am I was taken back , given an IV in my hand and a shot in my stomach... then the nurse put an extra something something in my IV.. I was told it was Ritalin. Well after 10 mins I began feeling 🥵 hot, suffocated, itchy, and terrified! I began looking around to see if it was only me and as everyone else looked fine I quickly realized it was something they gave me. I called the nurse over to me and politely asked her to remove the IV I was leaving. I was calm on the outside but freaking out on the inside!! I couldn’t tell them what I was feeling I just wanted to 🏃🏽‍♀️ run!! I needed fresh air and fast!! Whatever they gave me magnified my fears 1000% !
But now I’m at a loss 🤦🏽‍♀️ and a little depressed about the entire ordeal. I don’t what to do now. Has this happened to anyone? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!