Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I was sleeved 9/8 and I’ve had a painless recovery so I’m truly grateful for that. But I can’t drink barley anything. The only thing my body seems to tolerate is just plain warm Decaf tea. No plain Water, all the sugar free Welch’s and crystal lights are just too sweet now, apple juice, Gatorade, sugar free lemonades, nothing. Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on warm drinks that aren’t too sweet? Thanks I don’t want to end back in the hospital for being dehydrated.

Welcome to the forums.

I'd be willing to bet you are trying to drink too quickly. Warm tea folks tend to sip slowly. You should drink everything as if it's hot and will burn your tongue. Small sips, small sips.

Watch the fruit juices are they are a lot of sugar, and the Gatorades as they are loaded with sugars and salts.

You are on the right track with SF flavors, eventually you will find one that just clicks.

Also, SF Popsicles force you to go slow, and it counts for drinking. I still love these.

Warm drinks... thinking... thinking... You know, you can drink ANYTHING warm. I usually have a huge cup of something usually at room temperature. Hot/Cold is not a big deal to me.

Good luck,

Tek

Thanks so much. I’ve been sipping but anything but the warm tea make me have heart burn soon as I drink it. I’m so scared to throw up that I take my time. The first week the SF popsicles were life then one day boom too sweet had me gagging. I guess I can try to drink other things warm I just don’t know what.

1 hour ago, Newhealthylife said:

Hi everyone! I was sleeved 9/8 and I’ve had a painless recovery so I’m truly grateful for that. But I can’t drink barley anything. The only thing my body seems to tolerate is just plain warm Decaf tea. No plain Water, all the sugar free Welch’s and crystal lights are just too sweet now, apple juice, Gatorade, sugar free lemonades, nothing. Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on warm drinks that aren’t too sweet? Thanks I don’t want to end back in the hospital for being dehydrated.

Sipping broths are a great way to get fluids if you need something warm. The key is to use the low sodium ones, which are pretty easy to find. While I did not have issues with cold beverages, I found that mixing between cold and hot was welcome change of pace, so I definitely was thankful for broths. You can also mix in unflavored Protein Powder into them, so I found I had to stir/shake up the broth a lot to keep the Protein from clumping up, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

On 09/23/2020 at 08:38, Newhealthylife said:

These ideas are not really hot but might help room temp. I Had sleeve sep 8. Had 2 week setback bc abandoned Persian snuck in & hid. Was so ill my eyes swelled shut. Saw surgeon Tues. He said it’s important to get lots of plain H2O each day. If you like idea In pics U Can get disposable shot glasses at liquor store/amazon. Its motivating knowing I can do in 2 sips. I add Lots of H2O to crystal light, SF hot cocoa watered down w/skim milk, SF Jello. it’s runny but not near as sweet, low salt broth helps. But my saving grace is popsicles. U could put in blender with ice. I take H2O when I go out. Hope this is Helpful. He said Water also helps loose skin. Great motivation! Glad u have no pain. Sorry for typos & no caps Am Exhausted dealing with flood damage from TS Beta.

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

image0.0.jpg

Try herbal teas instead of Decaf black. It might help with the heartburn. Both ginger and mint can be soothing for digestion. You could also try infusing your own Water with firm melon chunks or cucumber. It should not add significant sugars or kcals if you don’t eat the fruit.