Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any special supplies I should buy before bypass surgery?

Is there anything you might suggest I get before surgery? For example, I've seen people wearing abdominal binders, using 2 oz cups to pre- measure servings, etc. Thanks for any advice you could provide!

Thank you MsMocie! Yes, it will be a laparoscopic procedure. I've got a good blender ready to go!

I didn't have a binder with RNY. I did with plastic surgery, but that obviously wasn't laproscopic - I had HUGE incisions with that.

things I used a lot: blender, kitchen scale, ramekins (although your measuring cups will work for this. I used my ramekins so I'd know how much I was eating. You can get them in different sizes like 4 oz, 8 oz, etc - but your measuring cups will work for this, too). A baby spoon (I still use one at five years out because I love it!). I also bought individual packets of various Protein powders so I wouldn't waste money on huge tubs of powder that I ended up hating. Before surgery, I liked the chocolate and vanilla ones, but after surgery, I found those too sweet (at least for the first few weeks or months). I preferred the fruity ones after surgery - and/or savory ones, like chicken soup-flavored. So get a variety of flavors...

Thanks! Great info...I'll definitely get the baby spoon and a scale.

A lot depends on your plan post-op. A lot of folks are on Protein Shakes only, a lot aren't.

If you're actually eating food, do a test run preparing a post-op meal. You'll see what would make it easier.

As a different view, I never used special plates, spoons, forks, or whatever. Because I was on pureed food for 6 weeks, a blender helped. Once you measure 3oz of Protein for a week of 3 meals, I was able to accurately eyeball it thereafter.

I wouldn't buy any medical stuff unless the Doc says you'll need it. I was open and I didn't have a binder or anything else.

Oddly, being OCD I've over prepared for enough things to learn it's best to wait until I have an actual need. I spent a lot of money on things I thought I might need only to have them sit it a closet never used.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Tek

I do like those 2-ounce cups with lids -- very useful for dividing up food into small portions. In addition to what everybody else said:

• Unflavored Protein Powder - this will be very useful for mixing into purees to help you get enough Protein.
  • Vitamins and a pill organizer - you will be taking so many pills after surgery, it will be hard to keep track of them. This one is pretty full with all of the pills I take, so you might want to consider one with 4 or 5 compartments for each day. If you don't already have your recommended vitamins, make sure to buy them before surgery.
  • Small dishes and storage containers - it's just a mental thing, but I just think it's more pleasant to eat out of glass bowls than plastic, and when you're eating tiny portions, it's easier to use small dishes than full-sized ones.
  • A set of small spoons and forks - they help you take small bites. I like these because they are metal rather than plastic.
  • A milk frother/mixer - I actually got this as a free gift with my BariatricPal order, and I wouldn't have purchased it otherwise, but it is so useful! I use it just about every day. Protein powders can be challenging to mix into liquids by hand, but this thing makes quick work of it and makes sure there are no lumps. It is really inexpensive even if you don't get it as a free gift. (You can find the same thing on Amazon.)

6 hours ago, VRox33 said:

Is there anything you might suggest I get before surgery? For example, I've seen people wearing abdominal binders, using 2 oz cups to pre- measure servings, etc. Thanks for any advice you could provide!

ok i will say for bypass the big pill organizer. the 2oz disposables for things like batch making of Jello. i am almost a month post op at this point and i use them to remind myself of not eating too much because full is a different feeling now and comes on slowish. you can get the tashi ones on Amazon for under 10$ for 200 i believe. Also i got some cheapy warm glad containers that are 4oz for microwaving for premaking Soup (walmart 3$). a water bottle is a necessity (insulated i use klean kanteen). just carry that little 12 oz with loop cap everywhere. It fits in the car too. one bag of whatever shake mix Protein your program requires and a Blender Bottle for choking it down in the morning. the blender bottle while it doesnt keep it cold by design i seem to sip better because u can only take small swig with it. i have a magic bullet mini it was 29$. thats what im using to blend. however u can use a handheld one. get some PB2 to flavor your choc shake as Peanut Butter choc so you dont get burnt out on just choc. some peoples incisions open back up two of mine did. im fair skinned and the surgeon says i have baby skin though. surgeon rec palmors oil post op so using that on belly. i did use some gauze afterwords with some tape from the drug store. You might not need it but some of us did. you need to acquire a script of simethicone from surgeon in chewable (insurance pick up tab for me that way). I recommend also bentyl in case you get abdominal cramping post surgery. You need to inquire about the gallbladder med too if you still have it. Next you need to buy your Multivitamin which i use Bariatric Advantage ultrasolo 1x a day. Its nasty and huge but my program required it. Next buy your Calcium i have bariatric advantage soft chew in caramel. one 90 item bag per month. I bought three months worth of the Vitamins. It would be helpful for you to have some kind of food Water tracker. i use happy planner fitness for mine. Heres just some pictures to give you ideas.

5A47F25C-1E1C-46BE-B47D-23377D1A6AC9.thumb.jpeg.90f85cbfca18fb7964c347dbaba39dc8.jpeg 5491CD80-F4FA-4F2E-8C96-34D26772C4BD.thumb.jpeg.132e789f5b8ac4f8a9911fae0990cec4.jpeg FE940406-7626-4B46-B833-D2193E13278E.thumb.jpeg.dfe8bf1caa078d1b8fb3e86b883576b8.jpeg 9090E986-747D-4F67-BC00-B0B8FDBBD64F.thumb.jpeg.c3c00b8cf528af4f59d39f69705b5599.jpeg

I used a binder with my RNY. They gave it to me in the hospital. It makes it easier to get up from a chair and walk because you don't have to use your hands to support your belly those first few days. I guess it would depend on where you carry your weight too. Being a pear shape, I had belly fat. They are actually comforting. Now here's the funny thing. I saved it in case I might need it again some day not realizing I was never going to be that size again. I just had a lower body lift and they also gave me a binder at the hospital. I thought , great, now I have 2 so I can switch them out until I get my drains out and can use my compression garment. No, couldn't do...I'm 1/2 the size I was back then! I threw it away! Good luck with your journey.

22 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

A lot depends on your plan post-op. A lot of folks are on Protein Shakes only, a lot aren't.

If you're actually eating food, do a test run preparing a post-op meal. You'll see what would make it easier.

As a different view, I never used special plates, spoons, forks, or whatever. Because I was on pureed food for 6 weeks, a blender helped. Once you measure 3oz of Protein for a week of 3 meals, I was able to accurately eyeball it thereafter.

I wouldn't buy any medical stuff unless the Doc says you'll need it. I was open and I didn't have a binder or anything else.

Oddly, being OCD I've over prepared for enough things to learn it's best to wait until I have an actual need. I spent a lot of money on things I thought I might need only to have them sit it a closet never used.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Tek

Thanks so much! I over-plan sometimes, and end up buying unnecessary items, too.

17 hours ago, tarotcardreader said:

ok i will say for bypass the big pill organizer. the 2oz disposables for things like batch making of Jello. i am almost a month post op at this point and i use them to remind myself of not eating too much because full is a different feeling now and comes on slowish. you can get the tashi ones on Amazon for under 10$ for 200 i believe. Also i got some cheapy warm glad containers that are 4oz for microwaving for premaking Soup (walmart 3$). a water bottle is a necessity (insulated i use klean kanteen). just carry that little 12 oz with loop cap everywhere. It fits in the car too. one bag of whatever shake mix Protein your program requires and a Blender Bottle for choking it down in the morning. the Blender Bottle while it doesnt keep it cold by design i seem to sip better because u can only take small swig with it. i have a magic bullet mini it was 29$. thats what im using to blend. however u can use a handheld one. get some PB2 to flavor your choc shake as Peanut Butter choc so you dont get burnt out on just choc. some peoples incisions open back up two of mine did. im fair skinned and the surgeon says i have baby skin though. surgeon rec palmors oil post op so using that on belly. i did use some gauze afterwords with some tape from the drug store. You might not need it but some of us did. you need to acquire a script of simethicone from surgeon in chewable (insurance pick up tab for me that way). I recommend also bentyl in case you get abdominal cramping post surgery. You need to inquire about the gallbladder med too if you still have it. Next you need to buy your Multivitamin which i use Bariatric Advantage ultrasolo 1x a day. Its nasty and huge but my program required it. Next buy your Calcium i have Bariatric Advantage soft chew in caramel. one 90 item bag per month. I bought three months worth of the Vitamins. It would be helpful for you to have some kind of food Water tracker. i use happy planner fitness for mine. Heres just some pictures to give you ideas.

5A47F25C-1E1C-46BE-B47D-23377D1A6AC9.thumb.jpeg.90f85cbfca18fb7964c347dbaba39dc8.jpeg 5491CD80-F4FA-4F2E-8C96-34D26772C4BD.thumb.jpeg.132e789f5b8ac4f8a9911fae0990cec4.jpeg FE940406-7626-4B46-B833-D2193E13278E.thumb.jpeg.dfe8bf1caa078d1b8fb3e86b883576b8.jpeg 9090E986-747D-4F67-BC00-B0B8FDBBD64F.thumb.jpeg.c3c00b8cf528af4f59d39f69705b5599.jpeg

OMG! Thanks for all the info! I just ordered the 2oz containers from Amazon yesterday, as well as a digital scale. I already have a huge pill planner, as I am already taking over 25 pills a day! That's my main reason for having the surgery...so sick of taking all the prescription drugs!!! I've got my Vitamins ready...I just got Centrum chewables, a liquid Calcium, and a sublingual B12. Love the idea for the Mini Magic Bullet. I've got a 36oz Yeti that I use every day. I'm kind of afraid of not being allowed to drink as much as I want. I drink a ton throughout the day. What do you have in the 2oz containers in the third picture? I really like your tracker too. I think I'd be more willing to keep track of things if i write them down, versus entering into an App on my phone. Thanks, again, and I hope you're doing well!

15 hours ago, Lynnlovesthebeach said:

I used a binder with my RNY. They gave it to me in the hospital. It makes it easier to get up from a chair and walk because you don't have to use your hands to support your belly those first few days. I guess it would depend on where you carry your weight too. Being a pear shape, I had belly fat. They are actually comforting. Now here's the funny thing. I saved it in case I might need it again some day not realizing I was never going to be that size again. I just had a lower body lift and they also gave me a binder at the hospital. I thought , great, now I have 2 so I can switch them out until I get my drains out and can use my compression garment. No, couldn't do...I'm 1/2 the size I was back then! I threw it away! Good luck with your journey.

Hopefully they give me one! I do carry most of my weight in my belly! Looks like you are doing great! I'll definitely need to have that lower body lift at some point! Congrats!

20 hours ago, BigSue said:

I do like those 2-ounce cups with lids -- very useful for dividing up food into small portions. In addition to what everybody else said:

• Unflavored Protein Powder - this will be very useful for mixing into purees to help you get enough Protein.
  • Vitamins and a pill organizer - you will be taking so many pills after surgery, it will be hard to keep track of them. This one is pretty full with all of the pills I take, so you might want to consider one with 4 or 5 compartments for each day. If you don't already have your recommended Vitamins, make sure to buy them before surgery.
  • Small dishes and storage containers - it's just a mental thing, but I just think it's more pleasant to eat out of glass bowls than plastic, and when you're eating tiny portions, it's easier to use small dishes than full-sized ones.
  • A set of small spoons and forks - they help you take small bites. I like these because they are metal rather than plastic.
  • A milk frother/mixer - I actually got this as a free gift with my BariatricPal order, and I wouldn't have purchased it otherwise, but it is so useful! I use it just about every day. Protein powders can be challenging to mix into liquids by hand, but this thing makes quick work of it and makes sure there are no lumps. It is really inexpensive even if you don't get it as a free gift. (You can find the same thing on Amazon.)

I definitely need to get some unflavored protein powder. Thanks!

11 hours ago, VRox33 said:

OMG! Thanks for all the info! I just ordered the 2oz containers from Amazon yesterday, as well as a digital scale. I already have a huge pill planner, as I am already taking over 25 pills a day! That's my main reason for having the surgery...so sick of taking all the prescription drugs!!! I've got my Vitamins ready...I just got Centrum chewables, a liquid Calcium, and a sublingual B12. Love the idea for the Mini Magic Bullet. I've got a 36oz Yeti that I use every day. I'm kind of afraid of not being allowed to drink as much as I want. I drink a ton throughout the day. What do you have in the 2oz containers in the third picture? I really like your tracker too. I think I'd be more willing to keep track of things if i write them down, versus entering into an App on my phone. Thanks, again, and I hope you're doing well!

Hi! That pic of the two ounce had puree chicken salad in one and puree chicken alfredo in another. I am on soft solid phase now and Use my 2 oz ..They are spinach alfredo sauce and cheese Soup. So good to be out of puree lol