Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein, Fruit, Vegetables Digestive Issues

I am many years post-op and, unfortunately, have gained a lot of weight back. I initially lost most of my weight by drinking Protein Shakes and fruit and vegetable smoothies. However, my metabolism seems to have changed since menopause and I suffer extreme bloating now whenever I drink Protein shakes or fruit and vegetable smoothies. I have tried most kinds of over the counter gas medication, as well as, pre and Probiotics, peppermint and Fiber. Nothing seems to work. Has anyone else experienced a change in metabolism with menopause? If so, I would certainly appreciate knowing what if any supplements you may have found that help you digest protein and sugars.

have you tried eliminating all dairy?

Yes, I believe that I just have problems digesting the sugars in the fruits and vegetables and maybe the shakes. I don't buy anything with aspartame or sugar alcohols though.

Oh yeah menopause was the pits for me. It was when I put on my last 15kg seemingly overnight. My girlfriends were the same. When I was perimenopausal I also put on about 10kg over about two years. I hadn’t changed what I was eating or my activity levels. And I couldn’t shift it at all. It was what made me decide to have the surgery.

I don’t have any answers but have you considered going back to your nutritionalist? Have you gone back to your post surgery habits: Protein first, meeting Water & protein goals. Are you measuring & weighing your foods, checking your portion sizes?

Are you on hrt? I didn’t lose any weight on it but I didn’t put on any more.

Absolutely, menopause is a metabolism KILLER! Sorry but it’s been terrible for me as well. I did lots of food sensitivity tests and found that when I avoided the foods that I react to, I felt better and lost some weight. Milk is the biggest problem for me which includes whey, casein, and other dairy by products. Sugar is also a problem for me. I guess what I’m saying is don’t give up! Find out what slows your metabolism and cut it out of your diet. Good luck!

6 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I don’t have any answers but have you considered going back to your nutritionalist? Have you gone back to your post surgery habits: Protein first, meeting Water & Protein goals. Are you measuring & weighing your foods, checking your portion sizes?

Are you on hrt? I didn’t lose any weight on it but I didn’t put on any more.

Hi Arabesque, Thank you for your kind reply. No, I haven't gone to see a nutritionist yet. I have been trying to find some kind of supplement first. Btw, after I posted last night, I found that activated charcoal is supposed to help with digestion and bloating. I ordered some so we'll see how it goes. I have tried reaching protein goals but I get ill from the bloating. I just struggle to meet the protein goals anymore.

6 hours ago, MamT said:

Absolutely, menopause is a metabolism KILLER! Sorry but it’s been terrible for me as well. I did lots of food sensitivity tests and found that when I avoided the foods that I react to, I felt better and lost some weight. Milk is the biggest problem for me which includes whey, casein, and other dairy by products. Sugar is also a problem for me. I guess what I’m saying is don’t give up! Find out what slows your metabolism and cut it out of your diet. Good luck!

Yes, I have the same sensitivities that eliminate a lot of food options for me. I can't have dairy, wheat, sugar alcohols and now most vegetables and fruits. I can eat meat but can't eat enough of it to lose weight. It also doesn't give me enough energy. Ugh, so frustrating!

Edited by CheckCheck
update