Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DON'T WANT TO LOSE MY HAIR, JUST THE WEIGHT

So, I'm told that after my surgery, there's a good possibility that I could lose my hair...like a lot of it! Uggh! I've seen some videos where people started taking Biotin and other Vitamins months before they had surgery. Is the Hair loss really as big as people say? And if so, how much Biotin do I start off taking?

Not everyone loses hair as WLS, but it does happen commonly enough. That said, it's a temporary thing in almost all cases once the body adjusts to the changes brought on by the surgery.

In my case, the hair was already on it's way out even before I had my first surgery, let alone my revision. :)

I too was worried about that. But I am 6 months out now and really did not have any issues with Hair loss. I mean I had a tad more than typically but I also started taken a collagen powder and that seems to be helping.

most people lose at least some hair (but there are some who don't lose any), but for most of us, we're the only ones who notice. It's pretty rare for it to come out in clumps, like it might for a chemo patient. It's more like shedding. I hardly lost any hair. One of my friends lost about a third of hers, but she said she doubted anyone noticed but her. It's temporary, though. It'll come out for a couple of months and then it'll grow back. And there's a good chance you're the only one who will notice.

Biotin and other Vitamins (as well as special shampoos) get mixed reviews. Some people swear they helped, some people say they did nothing at all.

hair goes through 3 phases is growth, one of those is shedding. You’re more likely to shed hair as a body preservation after traumatic events, like surgery.

Personally, I didn’t notice any Hair loss with my first surgery but I completely shaved my head 3 months after I had surgery. 🤷‍♀️ However, I am noticing a lot of new Hair growth now that I’m almost 2 months out from my second surgery.

The hair will grow back and you will be lighter and healthier. 😬

I am almost 3 mos. post-op. I am definitely shedding more hair than usual right now and have a shorter haircut planned, if needed, due to thinning hair. So far I don’t think it is that bad, but I may just cut my hair off anyhow to go along with my more than 55 pound weight loss. I would take the trade off any day!

Good luck in your process!

Ps. I am taking Biotin, but honestly doubt it truly helps.

Edited by WishMeSmaller

I was told that the falling hair is really because the NEW hair is growing back in and pushing the old. dead ones out. This makes sense, as the Hair loss usually starts at the time when one is able to start taking in more nutrition and able to support hair regrowth. For every hair that fell, I reminded myself that a new one was growing. That really helped my mental attitude about the whole issue. I thought I lost a lot, but absolutely no one else even noticed. I did get a short cute cut before surgery, so the loss would be less noticeable and the regrowth would fill in faster. Most people are going to have some hair loss. It's just part of the process of rapid weight loss. But it is temporary and not worth stressing over.

The surgery & dramatic change to your diet accelerates your natural Hair loss cycle. It’s the stress on your body. Because shedding hair is a natural occurrence, taking Vitamins, using special shampoos etc. won’t stop it happening but they likely will strengthen your new Hair growth.

As with most things, we all react differently. People lose different amounts of hair over varying periods of time. Some people lose so little it’s not really noticeable. Others, like me lose lots. It does stop & then you’ll notice the regrowth. It’s a small temporary price to pay for your weight loss.

I'm 8 months out and I only had a little it was just slightly more hair shedding then normal. It, honestly, wasn't noticeable.

I was told i could either use a Shampoo with Biotin or take a biotin supplement if i was worried about my hair. I have really long hair and havent had a problem yet and im about a month post op.

Just now, tarotcardreader said:

I was told i could either use a Shampoo with Biotin or take a Biotin supplement if i was worried about my hair. I have really long hair and havent had a problem yet and im about a month post op.

although you may not lose any (not everyone does), you're still pretty early out. I didn't start losing hair until I was about five months out.

57 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

Telogen effluvium usually shows up 1-3-4-5 months afterwards as part of the hair cycle.

There is no need to reply/give advices to everything from people further out than yourself especially where you have no experience in the matter. If I were you I would take the time to ask questions, follow content. Take advantage, use this time to read and learn from others one month, two months or several months more out than you so you know what you might or might not have in stored. Ask questions, learn to see things with a critical eye, find things that work for you. Respect the knowledge on this board, because it is huge.

I was SUPER agile my firsts months as well. I also belived I had the answers to everything straight outta surgery. I still think I have a lot of knowledge, but I have learned so much from people on this bulletin board that I didn't know about WLS and life after WLS. One of my first post on this site was around 3 months out where I talked very loud and proud on how I was able to eat anything (that has changed btw) and people chiming in from near and far with both how I was never gonna succeed to how my stomach will hurt, to people actually being real and saying "just because you can don't mean that you need to". I am also very strong opinionated. Just like you. We are not perfect, but in the end we hopefully will learn to "pick our battles wisely".

This post was out of topic, and I apologize for that.

There is no need to try to police when others should choose to post. This is a site that sells weightloss supplements and gear for wls patients. You are no more qualified to post than anyone else.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

although you may not lose any (not everyone does), you're still pretty early out. I didn't start losing hair until I was about five months out.

Yeah im hoping not cat but maybe ill be a lucky one who doesnt also was told not to color at all due to Protein issues in the initial post op phase. Have t colored and people that do prob lose more hair

Some people lose hair after surgery but generally this becomes a problem when they have lost quite a bit of weight around the 5 month mark. I didn't lose any hair as a result of the surgery. Those that lost hair then reported that the hair grew back in and was finer than their original hair.

I had very long hair for years. It is very fine (Scandinavian blonde) but thick. Always surprised hairdressers when I got my hair foiled to add highlights. Took a lot more time than they thought. The week before surgery I got my hair cut just above shoulder length.

I started high Protein diet (90g/day) and Biotin a few months before surgeryand have maintained since. My surgery was postponed due to covid so I just maintained my preop diet. I lost 30 pounds while waiting.

I am now 4.5 months post-op and lost 70 pounds since I started this last December. I started shedding hair just last week. Not in clumps. Just fine hairs in hairbrush, on pillow, on floor around recliner where I sit. The shedding is more like my dog's seasonal shedding. No bald spots or significant thinning.

I know everyone is different. My hair has grown about an inch a month so need a haircut. Couldn't get earlier because covid restrictions.

Stats: 5'1", age 67, female. Highest weight: 245. BMI 41. Surgery Date: May 28, 2020. Weight at surgery: 211. VSG.