Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had My 5-wk Check-in w/Dietician. Have some work to do!

Somehow in the last couple of days, I've GAINED 2lbs. Not sure how. My food log reflects that I'm getting in about 50oz - 60oz of liquids (between Water, Gatorade & Protein drink) and approx. 40g of protein daily for the last week-10 days. The dietician wants me to "up" my protein intake big time, but I just don't know how I can do it. She suggested different foods and adding another meal daily, but NO snacking - even on healthy, protein-rich foods. I still have very little appetite and when I do eat, I'm full almost instantly. How I'm going to get MORE food in is beyond me. She said if I don't do this, I will likely stall or even start gaining again. Ugh...this is getting frustrating!

Gatorade is a salt and sugar concoction, so you may want to ponder it.

At 5 weeks adding a meal in response to gaining 2 pounds in the last couple days seems odd. Heck, making any changes in response to what happened in the last 2 days seems questionable. I can't help but think we're missing some information here. I do understand wanting to increase 40g of Protein, though.

But, as I always say, it's more important to follow the plan then what the plan actually is. A big part of our program is learning to follow rules.

At 5 weeks, I was on puree of 3 oz protein, 1 oz veggie, 3 times per day. That comes out to 60 grams protein. Actually, my program is still not all that different.

For folks on Protein Drinks, a quick look at Amazon says 25-30 grams per drink minimum. So 3 of those = 75g.

food protein or drink protein, 3 times per day should not be overly taxing. Is it?

So, I guess it comes down to your plan, and how you are doing on it.

Good luck,

Tek

Can you stir in some unflavored Protein Powder into what you are eating?

I can get 67g of Protein in one shake by doing 3 scoops of cellucor Protein Drink, 1 scoop of naked whey, 1 scoop of collagen. After I started doing that my dietician of course told me to not go to more than 50g in one meal to protect kidneys.

4 hours ago, minimamaz00m said:

Can you stir in some unflavored Protein Powder into what you are eating?

I second that... I'm 2 months out and I can't get 60 grams of Protein without adding some protein powder to some of my food. I eat a lot of fat-free refried Beans mixed with unflavored protein powder. Also Soup, oatmeal (I use protein oatmeal from the BariatricPal Store, which is already protein-fortified, but I only eat half a packet and I add some more protein powder to it), yogurt, applesauce, sugar-free pudding, mashed cauliflower... Anything mushy is easy to mix with protein powder. For sweet things like yogurt, sugar-free pudding, or oatmeal, I prefer to use flavored protein powder (vanilla yogurt with vanilla or strawberry protein powder, chocolate pudding with chocolate protein powder, oatmeal with cinnamon roll protein powder).

My dietitian also told me I should be eating more. I'm averaging about 450 calories per day and she says I should be eating 800-1000 calories per day. I really don't see how that's possible within the guidelines I was given (3 meals per day, maximum 1/2 cup per meal, no Snacks except protein shakes).

They dont care about cals right now in my program just the 60g Protein and the Water. Next the walking. Today i had a Protein Shake, a fish w tartar sauce, some cheese Soup w guac, and i might try a Jello that has some protein powder in it before bed. Water is very low but they said they will count my protein shake water so thats gonna help. I put some cranberry juice (diet) in my morning orange protein shake to make it a bit more smooth. Im sorry you are suffering w the calories Rule on top of getting the water in im glad i dont have to 🥴