Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Required PRE Ops Weight Loss

Hello

I just finished my required 6 months of meeting with a nutritionist. During the 6 months I lost about 5 pounds. She just mentioned that I was expected to lose more, about 10-15 and that the doc would NOT clear me for surgery without losing 10-15 pounds. Now I am 10 days out from meeting the surgeon for my final appointment and to get approval. I need to lose 5+ pounds in the next 10 days and I am feeling overwhelmed. Any tips?

Current stat
5’3 and 245lbs

Have you used any food replacement shakes yet? If not, three a day (high Protein, low carb ones) plus one protein and low carb veges meal a day. This will help with any Fluid retention weight.

Lots of movement - walking is good at least an hour (doesn't have to be every day) but at least every other day - or 30minutes a day.

Plenty of no calorie fluids may help too.

Hopefully there may be some leeway due to covid stresses and lockdowns with the weight loss needed, but don't take the chance in case not.

I feel like your NUT should have stressed the weight loss more than just making you feel bad at your last appointment. That said, I totally agree with Hop, low car, low fat, high Protein Shakes and meals with lots of Water will hopefully get you there.

Thanks for the feedback. During my last NUT appointment she did say have high Protein Shake once a day (5 times a week) and two meals with high Protein and veggies. I found this is helping but if I am off for a single day (and not crazy off) I regain. Yesterday went for. 13 mile walk and gain 2 pounds. I hope that’s due to sore muscles and will come off quick.

My question is what guidance has your nut been giving you for the last 6 months? Surely they should have been tracking your weight every visit & advising you on dietary changes so you could lose weight throughout this time if a specific amount of weight loss was a requirement of your surgical approval.

Following two shakes plus one high Protein & vegetable meal per day or three shakes a day will get the weight off. Many patients follow this diet in the two/three weeks prior to surgery with a lot of success. Apparently the first week is pretty hellish but you’ll get through it.

Good luck.

They tracked my weight the first two months and there wasn’t a change. Then Covid happened and my weight went up and down, mostly up. Each month there was a new focus - increasing Protein, increasing Water, smaller bites, not drinking with meals, no snacking, etc.

The weight goal didn’t come up till this last meeting. There was talk of losing weight before the surgery but I thought that was more related to the liquid diet and not a requirement.

I am going to try the 2 Protein Shakes + high protein meal. Based on what I was recently doing (1 shake + high protein meal) this should help. The problem is when I go off the plan my weight jumps right back up.

Gosh it seems like she should of told you there was a weight loss requirement at your first visit so you had 6 months to work on it! I had to do 3 months of nutrition "education" but there was no weight loss requirement. I did lose though, don't remember how much. The 2 Protein Shakes and one "healthy" meal is what I had to do pre-op and it works great. In the 2 weeks I lost 9 lbs.

Does your surgeon do the two week pre-op diet? Do you already have the paper that tells you how to eat while on that diet? If you do then try that. I lost 15 pounds on the pre-op diet so that's my suggestion

Honestly, I am thinking your nutritionist might just be exaggerating things. Unless your surgeon told you this rule right up front, I would think showing you were able to lose some weight would be a good thing. I gained weight in the six months from my initial visit with the surgeon and my pre-op appt. (COVID, working from home, stress eating). I was mildly scolded at my pre-op appt. and then I lost 15 pounds on my two week pre-op diet., which met expectations. Talk to your surgeon’s office and follow your plan. Hope everything works out ok!

Hello

I just finished my required 6 months of meeting with a nutritionist. During the 6 months I lost about 5 pounds. She just mentioned that I was expected to lose more, about 10-15 and that the doc would NOT clear me for surgery without losing 10-15 pounds. Now I am 10 days out from meeting the surgeon for my final appointment and to get approval. I need to lose 5+ pounds in the next 10 days and I am feeling overwhelmed. Any tips?

Current stat
5’3 and 245lbs
Hi sarAh
I know you may feel overwhelmed and the liquid diet can cause some withdrawals to old habits but push yourself for a lifestyle change that will improve your health with 1 simple tool.

Start by having a Premier Protein in the morning i love caramel. It taste yummy.

Then plan out your entire day.

I hope this information helps.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app