Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op return to work and eating more

I just went back to work and noticed that I am eating way more than when I was at home. I might be consuming 100-200 extra calories now. So I am probably at 500-600 cals a day. I am following my diet plan and sticking to Protein rich, low fat foods. l I do have a fairly active job and am walking around and standing a lot; however it does not get too strenuous. I also work 12 hour days. Has anyone else experienced more hunger after going back to work? Is it ok to be eating this much 5 weeks post op?

I think I probably ate about that much then. And then after about the second month I ate 600-800 calories for most of that first year.

My dietician said I should be around 600 closer to November but I know there can be different plans based on certain doctors. My recovery has been very fast so I’m hoping it’s okay

You’ll still lose only consuming that many calories - it’s still not many at all. But if you are concerned you may need to consider what it is about work that makes you eat more. Is it because others are eating? Are you really hungry or head (habit) hungry? Do you take your own food or buy your meals? ... It can apply to other situations too.

I found it difficult when I went back to work simply because I didn’t have as much control over when I ate. Some days I’d be so busy I wouldn’t get close to my fluid goals. Also, I take a while to eat but at work I had to eat more quickly (causing me discomfort) within my prescribed break times. I always took my own food too because it was very difficult to buy suitable healthy food I could eat.

There’s so much to learn on this journey about how, what, when & why we eat & so many other things.

Good luck.

On 09/18/2020 at 21:22, Arabesque said:

You’ll still lose only consuming that many calories - it’s still not many at all. But if you are concerned you may need to consider what it is about work that makes you eat more. Is it because others are eating? Are you really hungry or head (habit) hungry? Do you take your own food or buy your meals? ... It can apply to other situations too.

I found it difficult when I went back to work simply because I didn’t have as much control over when I ate. Some days I’d be so busy I wouldn’t get close to my fluid goals. Also, I take a while to eat but at work I had to eat more quickly (causing me discomfort) within my prescribed break times. I always took my own food too because it was very difficult to buy suitable healthy food I could eat.

There’s so much to learn on this journey about how, what, when & why we eat & so many other things.

Good luck.

I work at a hospital so I’m much more active than before. I wouldn’t say it’s because others are eating. I feel genuinely hungry. You’re right about not getting enough Water while working. I wear a mask and I also try not to drink water with meals and Snacks so it gets difficult to get enough when I’m busy with work.

On 09/19/2020 at 11:14, MsMocie said:

I found it real easy when I worked (I have been on sick leave for 7 months) to follow my eating plan. Mostly because I could part my days into Breakfast, drinking between brekkie and lunch, lunch, drinking, having dinner, and my evening meal. Now I am just wandering around trying to have some sort of normal day but to no avail.

What would you say the struggle is trying to return to normal?

It’s hard to regulate our rhythm when it’s been off for so long. I would say avoid taking a nap so that you will sleep at night and try melatonin an 30 min before bed. If you feel the melatonin hangover in the morning you are taking too much and need to cut back.

On 9/18/2020 at 8:15 PM, Mfidai2 said:

I just went back to work and noticed that I am eating way more than when I was at home. I might be consuming 100-200 extra calories now. So I am probably at 500-600 cals a day. I am following my diet plan and sticking to Protein rich, low fat foods. l I do have a fairly active job and am walking around and standing a lot; however it does not get too strenuous. I also work 12 hour days. Has anyone else experienced more hunger after going back to work? Is it ok to be eating this much 5 weeks post op?

OMG me too! I started a new job a week and a half ago and now work in an office (vs. at home). I swear I cam literally see the weight gain in my thighs and love handles. When I saw this topic my heart stopped for a sec. Not sure if it's anxiety eating (I am absolutely an anxiety eater), a lack of sugar free Popsicles because no freezer or change of environment. I'm also considering the fact that I'm alone in the office (everyone else works from home or lives in a different state) but I live alone with my puppy so not much different.

I look forward to reading other responses because my one year is coming up July 9th and my loss has slowed considerably. Also, the "honeymoon" period is over and my metabolism is back to slow as molasses mode. Not to mention it's been that time of the month since January 25th. I had a polyp removed in my ovaries and I'm on a new birth control that makes you irregular for 2+ months. If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I needed to vent!

Edited by outofusernames
added a space to a super long venting session